Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Replacing mech disc brakes with hydraulic?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 11:26 AM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello all - I'm shopping around for a used cx bike and have found a few contenders that have mech disc brakes. I was hoping for hydraulic, and just curious how difficult it is to replace the mech brake system. Something I (or anyone) can do? Or is it an expensive endeavor?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-21, 11:29 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
Hello all - I'm shopping around for a used cx bike and have found a few contenders that have mech disc brakes. I was hoping for hydraulic, and just curious how difficult it is to replace the mech brake system. Something I (or anyone) can do? Or is it an expensive endeavor?

Thanks!
It's not cheap, and for most people it's beyond their capabilitites. You would need new shifters, calipers, hoses, etc. You'd most likely be money ahead by getting a bike with them already installed. Or you could just replace the calipers with TRP Hy/Rds.
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-12-21, 11:41 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Yokozuna, Juin, and TRP are a few brands that make hydraulic calipers that are cable-actuated. that might not cut the mustard for ya, but it's an option. otherwise, you really need brake levers that are hydraulic. with all that's involved, it could get expensive fast enough to make it not worth buying a used bike.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-12-21, 01:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Too expensive to bother.

Make sure you have good compressionless housing, good brake pads, and rotors, and everything is adjusted properly...And mechanical should be just fine.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-12-21, 01:54 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I've have 3 bikes on mechanic disc brakes and one on hydraulic disc brakes. I've used all these bikes on gravel rides/races in a wide variety of conditions (hot/cold, wet/dry/snow) and as much as I prefer hydraulic brakes and will get them for any new bikes; I'd never consider upgrading the mechanical disc brakes to hydraulics. The only upgrade for the mechanical disc brakes that has me thinking is moving from BB7 to TRP Spyre.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-12-21, 02:13 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would consider upgrading to hydraulics if you can sell your current mechanical system for a decent price.
Old 01-12-21, 02:26 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is really helpful. Thanks everyone.
I'm kind of attached the old look of caliper breaks on road bikes, so up until early 2020, I didn't even know there was a difference between mech and hydraulic. I bought a decent mt. bike for my son over the summer with mech brakes, and they seem to need adjustment pretty often in order to keep there responsiveness. I was hoping that hydraulic would remedy that (on my eventual/new bike), but looks like I'm going to avoid the mech options I come across.
Old 01-12-21, 02:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-119868.html

I bought these for $385USD 6 months ago and havent regretted it since. I replaced the Juintech F1 calipers and my Gevenalle brake shifters. It was an awesome decision and I find that it was financially totally worthwhile.
They are $485USD right now which is a significant difference, but I would do it again, knowing the difference.

I sold my shifters for $135 and my calipers(plus compressionless housing) for $110. Both sold within 1 week with the shifters selling in a day, so I guess I could have priced them a bit higher.
In total, I was out $145 for new 105 hydraulic shifters and brakes. Installation was easy- but that may be due to my bike having external cable routing.
I think that if I could get the stuff for $245 net(current pricing), I would still see it as a good buy.
Also- its a hobby, so not every decision needs to be ROI based.
Old 01-12-21, 02:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

IME - as I've spent more time with my mechanical disc brakes, I've needed to make adjustments less often.

One of the most important things, don't touch the rotors - oils from your fingers will cause issues with braking and can cause loud squealing. If you need to get oil off the rotors, clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol on a clean rag.

Also, I find Park Tool videos very helpful:

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-12-21, 02:45 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

are you racing CX on this bike? I have some powerful hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike and I need every bit of precise, strong braking for riding technical, rocky trails. on my gravel bike, I use TRP Spyres with RRL levers. I had Hylex hydraulic brakes on the gravel bike before—I traded my Hylex brakes for a mechanical setup because I hated the hood/ lever shape of the Hylex ones—and I don't really miss the hydros on that bike now. the hydros were more powerful, but I don't find a need a ton of power for riding roads and smooth trails. YMMV because the extra stopping power might be needed in your case.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-13-21 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-21, 07:14 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
CX bikes are rapidly evolving; non-hydraulic could mean older 10 or 9 sp. If not 11sp, you will need to swap out derailleurs, cassettes, and chains as well; or use something like a Tanpan to convert. Even Tiagra 10sp hydraulic uses the new cable pull.
Old 01-13-21, 08:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
This is really helpful. Thanks everyone.
I'm kind of attached the old look of caliper breaks on road bikes, so up until early 2020, I didn't even know there was a difference between mech and hydraulic. I bought a decent mt. bike for my son over the summer with mech brakes, and they seem to need adjustment pretty often in order to keep there responsiveness. I was hoping that hydraulic would remedy that (on my eventual/new bike), but looks like I'm going to avoid the mech options I come across.
I was thinking about this as I look at my Breezer Radar Pro (on display on my office wall for the winter ) This is my bike with hydraulic disc brake bike. My advice on disc brakes, adjusting/maintenance is less about mechanic vs hydraulic, it's mostly about QR vs thru-axel. All my bikes use QR, and the QR is less accurate getting a wheel remounted vs thru-axel. Alternatively, as stated above, dual-actuated brakes also will help minimize adjustments with greater tolerances (hydraulic are dual-actuated as well as some mechanical like TRP Spyre).
Old 01-13-21, 08:23 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
the only hard part is running the housing for the rear and that will depend on the bike. paying a mechanic to do it is not bad. I just had my e bike changed over to some Shimano it's and it was 120 to install them.it would Abe less on most bikes. so maybe 300 or so.
Old 01-13-21, 10:54 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I was thinking about this as I look at my Breezer Radar Pro (on display on my office wall for the winter ) This is my bike with hydraulic disc brake bike. My advice on disc brakes, adjusting/maintenance is less about mechanic vs hydraulic, it's mostly about QR vs thru-axel. All my bikes use QR, and the QR is less accurate getting a wheel remounted vs thru-axel. Alternatively, as stated above, dual-actuated brakes also will help minimize adjustments with greater tolerances (hydraulic are dual-actuated as well as some mechanical like TRP Spyre).
I've got the same on one bike -- QR with mechanical discs. As long as the calipers are mounted and adjusted properly, it really only requires a few extra seconds of care when mounting the wheel and locking down the skewer.

Some poster, in a thread a few weeks ago, referred to the combo of QR and discs using the word "disaster" or "horrible" or some such thing. Seemed odd, since I've got about 10,000 miles on just such a bike with no real problems.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-21, 11:05 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Koyote
Some poster, in a thread a few weeks ago, referred to the combo of QR and discs using the word "disaster" or "horrible" or some such thing. Seemed odd, since I've got about 10,000 miles on just such a bike with no real problems.
I think the word was "scam" *eyeroll*
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-13-21, 11:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I've got the same on one bike -- QR with mechanical discs. As long as the calipers are mounted and adjusted properly, it really only requires a few extra seconds of care when mounting the wheel and locking down the skewer.

Too funny, I've logged at least 30,000 miles on mechanical disc brakes with QRs. It's NBD, never a serious issue.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-13-21, 09:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Too funny, I've logged at least 30,000 miles on mechanical disc brakes with QRs. It's NBD, never a serious issue.
There are some bikes with bad QR skewers that do not bite well into the frame dropout. I have also had a QR pop out on a tandem with aluminum frame on extremely hard braking; the bike (Raleigh Coupe Tandem) was noted by others as suceptible to the problem. But still in most cases no problem.
Old 01-13-21, 09:41 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
IME - as I've spent more time with my mechanical disc brakes, I've needed to make adjustments less often.

One of the most important things, don't touch the rotors - oils from your fingers will cause issues with braking and can cause loud squealing. If you need to get oil off the rotors, clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol on a clean rag.

Also, I find Park Tool videos very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqGeLNcVIg
Yeah - I probably need to practice this one on my son's bike. My LBS showed me once, but I don't think I was quite understanding what he was showing me.
Old 01-14-21, 04:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Tools for the job, or a service fee, should be factored in, too. A bleed kit, hose cutter, oil, maybe a small flare nut wrench, a torque wrench...it can add up to another $100. It also irks to make the spend because once set up, you’ll not use that stuff again for years.

For my two cents on the upgrade, and speaking as someone who has both, I’ll echo those above who slightly prefer hydro performance, but have no issues with mechs and find the hydro advantages are at the margins; for road work, mechs deliver all the advantages of discs over rim brakes, and 96% of the hydros performance. Hydros have that immediate bite and feel advantage, and are set-and-forget...yeah, that’s about a 4% advantage over mechs, hardly enough to justify the expense of upgrading, in my estimation.

Now, depending on the bike, I might be tempted to throw down for a mech upgrade to some Paul Component Klampers calipers! If the bike color would support purple, yeah, all day with those!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-14-21, 05:07 PM
tofudog415

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
After three years on mechanical disc brakes, I bit the bullet and moved from BB7 calipers and SRAM Apex levers to SRAM S700 hydraulic calipers and levers. The latter were $300 on eBay new, and I sold the old calipers and levers for $135. Then I paid a LBS to do the installation for me. I agree with folks on here that the cost/benefit really depends on your kind of riding. I was perfectly happy with the old mechanical setup on the road and nice trails, but extended riding on more technical, rockier terrain (green and blue MTB trails) inevitably led to a lot of hand fatigue for me -- so much so that I'd have to stop on the side of the trail for my hands to rest. That's not really the case any more with the hydros, which require a lot less force to actuate. The modulation on the hydros is better, too, but reduced hand force is the biggest benefit for me. So, although the upgrade came at not insignificant cost in parts/labor, I feel like it was worth it for me because now riding on MTB trails has become much more comfortable and enjoyable. If I did it all over knowing what I know now and how my riding evolved toward rougher terrain over three years, I'd go straight for a hydro-based bike from the start.
Old 01-14-21, 10:16 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by dwmckee
There are some bikes with bad QR skewers that do not bite well into the frame dropout. I have also had a QR pop out on a tandem with aluminum frame on extremely hard braking; the bike (Raleigh Coupe Tandem) was noted by others as suceptible to the problem. But still in most cases no problem.
that’s a good argument for Shimano quick release skewers – the internal cam varieties.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-14-21, 10:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have a bike I'd love to convert to hydraulic and just haven't wanted to afford it yet. It never occurred to me to think it would be hard, though. Follow the instructions, watch the video. I wasn't particularly worried about a mess. There's got to be what, like half an ounce of fluid in there?

Just expensive... And that's for a single speed. Hydraulic brifters are astonishingly expensive. The thing about qr/thru axle may or may not be a scam, but the aftermarket price of road controls compared to MTB controls is definitely a scam.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-15-21, 07:05 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Discs were standard on MTBs since like '00. With QRs. On downhill bikes. As an old MTBer, I have 5 bicycles with discs and QRs; all hydraulic; oldest one is a 1999.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-15-21, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The thing about qr/thru axle may or may not be a scam, but the aftermarket price of road controls compared to MTB controls is definitely a scam.
Oh for sure! A couple winters ago I was building up an MTB frame for one of my kids and was shocked to see how cheap Shimano hydraulic brakes were. I got some new model Alivio hydraulic brake levers, so Sora road equivalent, for about $60. And a new 9sp Alivio shifter was not even $25. Compare that to just Sora mechanical shifters that are like 2-3x more expensive.
Old 01-15-21, 11:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
that’s a good argument for Shimano quick release skewers – the internal cam varieties.
it’s a better argument for thru-axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.