Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 08:38 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Looks sick. Imma need details on that wheelset...
thanks! they are zipp 302 clinchers laced to phil low flange hubs using sapim cx-sprint spokes. had them built by prowheelbuilder. won't impress any weight weenies but they are strong!
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 12-07-20, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
thanks! they are zipp 302 clinchers laced to phil low flange hubs using sapim cx-sprint spokes. had them built by prowheelbuilder. won't impress any weight weenies but they are strong!
You couldn't impress a weight weenie with Phil hubs but that is not the reason for Phil Hubs, they are sexy and last a long time. For some people they gotta have the Guchi logos or Calvin Klein but for cyclists it is that red Phil script logo that sets our hearts a flutter.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-08-20, 08:38 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Awesome. Low flange Phil's look so great. Those bombproof axles aren't light. I miss my Phil wheelset so bad, $#^&$%^ thieves.
Old 12-10-20, 04:44 PM
rewop12

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Copped a new Dolan Pre Cursa in gunmetal grey
Old 01-02-21, 12:54 AM
bro

Bikes: Bridgestone

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 20 Posts
Nitto sp72

Picked up a frog(nitto sp72) for $57, and had the darndest time adjusting it. I like my saddles perfectly level or with the nose up a bit, and it seemed that no matter how I did it it always ended up nose down. I was thinking maybe the furthest back it goes just isn't enough for me? So I ended up tightening the rear bolt all the way, then tightening down the front until it was at the angle I liked(pictured). Is this the right way? I -could- keep turning it till it stops, and then it's nose-down. Hah, I haven't had a two bolt post before! Just wanna make sure I'm not doing it in a way thats bad for it, or if I just don't understand another way to get it to the angle I want. I don't wanna over-torque it. Whose got an sp72? Any luck setting it level/nose slightly up?
Old 01-02-21, 06:53 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by bro
Picked up a frog(nitto sp72) for $57, and had the darndest time adjusting it. I like my saddles perfectly level or with the nose up a bit, and it seemed that no matter how I did it it always ended up nose down. I was thinking maybe the furthest back it goes just isn't enough for me? So I ended up tightening the rear bolt all the way, then tightening down the front until it was at the angle I liked(pictured). Is this the right way? I -could- keep turning it till it stops, and then it's nose-down. Hah, I haven't had a two bolt post before! Just wanna make sure I'm not doing it in a way thats bad for it, or if I just don't understand another way to get it to the angle I want. I don't wanna over-torque it. Whose got an sp72? Any luck setting it level/nose slightly up?
If everything is tight and the saddle is not moving you should be good. You will generally tighten one more than the other to level out the saddle but if one bolt is loose completely you will need to properly tighten all of the bolts. Though should be pretty easy.
Old 01-02-21, 12:28 PM
bro

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If everything is tight and the saddle is not moving you should be good. You will generally tighten one more than the other to level out the saddle but if one bolt is loose completely you will need to properly tighten all of the bolts. Though should be pretty easy.
Rad, thanks. The front bolt is firm, but not tight. I was just wondering if that's how it's supposed to be or if it'll loosen eventually. Seems like it's supposed to be that way. I can leave the back bolt fully tightened, loosen the front and change the fore-aft position without affecting the angle, according to some sources. But the angle seems to be affected by how much i choose to tighten the front bolt.. clamp looks right, it's not loose on the front or anything so I guess it's prolly fine. Mighty fine seatpost anyway, very chunky
Old 01-03-21, 10:31 AM
Strictformflow

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bro
Rad, thanks. The front bolt is firm, but not tight. I was just wondering if that's how it's supposed to be or if it'll loosen eventually. Seems like it's supposed to be that way. I can leave the back bolt fully tightened, loosen the front and change the fore-aft position without affecting the angle, according to some sources. But the angle seems to be affected by how much i choose to tighten the front bolt.. clamp looks right, it's not loose on the front or anything so I guess it's prolly fine. Mighty fine seatpost anyway, very chunky
ymmv I have had my seat come loose when one bolt tight one just snug to achieve a saddle position or angle. Best of luck but I'm looking for the best practice here as well.
Old 01-03-21, 07:42 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Cheapest hollow crankset

I might get some flack, but I am a poor old man with too many projects to buy parts for. Picked this up on Ali for about $70 shipped. Took two months. Appears great for the price. Chainring machining is pretty good. Arms look excellent. If they perform well, I am buying a second even though price went up a bit. My assumption is BB will be mediocre at best. Likely a rebranded version of someone else's, perhaps. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Will try to weigh and see if it is within the claimed range. Not a fan of the graphics, so will play around with acetone or stickers as it is going on my sticker bomber.

Old 01-05-21, 02:33 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
165mm RD2 from here on the forum
Origin8 36° hubset

Should turn into a fun set of 650b wheels with nice cushy 35mm tires and no toe overlap
Old 01-05-21, 03:11 PM
bro

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I figure I must've been cranking it down too hard because in that case there'd only be one angle, the one where both bolts are tight haha. Didn't want to bend anything, just wanted to make sure... if the back is fully cranked the saddle -should- be nose-up... but it seems that I can just keep tightening the front until it's nose down, but youre probably not supposed to. I think it's tight enough... And the saddle isn't moving around or anything. Was hoping some other sp72 owners could chime in but I may have to go to C&V to find folks that like em nose-up, haha. Speaking of C&V, this stuff came in the mail today. NOS bike ribbon and Milremo plugs(made by REG). Dope!!

I'm also waiting on some other stuff in the mail... Nitto B105 40cm bars(since I couldn't seem to find B115's in a 40cm anywhere), nitto pearl 12 stem, blue toshi straps and blue REG strap buttons! Bikes gonna look hot!

Last edited by bro; 01-05-21 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For bro:
Old 01-06-21, 09:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by bro
I figure I must've been cranking it down too hard because in that case there'd only be one angle, the one where both bolts are tight haha. Didn't want to bend anything, just wanted to make sure... if the back is fully cranked the saddle -should- be nose-up... but it seems that I can just keep tightening the front until it's nose down, but youre probably not supposed to. I think it's tight enough... And the saddle isn't moving around or anything. Was hoping some other sp72 owners could chime in but I may have to go to C&V to find folks that like em nose-up, haha. Speaking of C&V, this stuff came in the mail today. NOS bike ribbon and Milremo plugs(made by REG). Dope!!

I'm also waiting on some other stuff in the mail... Nitto B105 40cm bars(since I couldn't seem to find B115's in a 40cm anywhere), nitto pearl 12 stem, blue toshi straps and blue REG strap buttons! Bikes gonna look hot!
I got some Bike Ribbon in the Pink color from Justyne at Bike Recyclery on my Phil Wood bike, it is nice tape, I really only bought it for color but I actually kind of like the tape.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-21, 02:05 AM
bro

New stuff
nitto pearl 120 stem and b105 bars in 40cm, with fake bike ribbon and Milremo/REG plugs, and some blue toshi straps and REG strap buttons
Trying this cockpit out vs my Cinelli 1a+66's. it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but it's a more square bar that's flatter on the top and has a shallower drop. This tape isn't as good as the real stuff, but it looks nice and very 80's. I can see myself swapping it out for some soma thick n zesty at some point, for more comfort+grip.

Max extension

Slammed
Likes For bro:
Old 01-17-21, 12:21 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I got some cockpit parts for my road bike:
a generic quill stem adapter,
another NOS 135mm high rise stem just like I use on the MTB,
new brake levers and
steel bar ends that can go around the bend of the touring bars.

Edit: the new quill adapter and long stem are working great. Basically the same cockpit and fit as on the RockHopper now. I took the $5 bar ends back off. With the longer stem, the bar ends don’t add enough benefit over using the forward bends to justify losing the easy option to flip the bike over for cleaning. These days I have to brush off a mess of mud splatter after every ride.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-19-21 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 06:50 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Ahh, new bike parts day

We'll see if the 107mm BB works chainline-wise. The cranks are also 165mm which I don't have a lot of experience with.

If that doesn't work I've got this in 170mm waiting in the wings:

Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-04-21, 04:33 PM
bro

White turbo, nos campagnolo strap buttons and buckle sleeves, top tube protector

Waiting on Sugino 75 chainring, EAI lockring and mks stream pedals in the mail

Likes For bro:
Old 03-13-21, 05:17 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I don't spend much on the bike. When I do, it's fine tuning, usually to deal with something that has been making rides less enjoyable than they should be.

For example, last year after a series of rides in which I had a puncture almost every time, I bought new Gatorskin tyres, and took the opportunity to upsize from 23 mm to 25mm. 2 birds with 1 stone: a more comfortable ride, and almost no punctures.

And in this last week or so, having realised that I spent more time wishing I had a slightly lower ratio than I spent wishing I had a slightly higher ratio, I did the maths and bought a Gebhardt 42t chainring.

I swapped the 20t sprocket for the 18t that I had in the bits box, and, with some new chain ring bolts and a few minutes' work, I had a bike with a 5% lower gear, and a day or two later knocked about a minute and a half off my previous best time for my local 10 mile loop.

A small amount of money well spent.

Should I choose, I can achieve almost exactly the old ratio with a 17 sprocket on the other side of the flip flop hub.
Old 03-17-21, 08:12 AM
abshipp 

Just bought a pair of 650b X 32mm Grand Bois Cypres tires for my 650b-converted track bike.

I just a few weeks ago purchased a single tire of the same kind for the rear to give myself some more clearance - an old mostly worn out Pari-Moto 38mm only left a mm or two on each side and I had to have the wheel all the way back in the dropouts. The new tire worked great but is conspicuously smaller than the Pari-Moto on the front so I decided to pick up another one. Naturally the only ones I could find was a two pack that I somehow missed the first time around for just a bit more than I paid for the single tire
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-17-21, 07:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Fox 32 650b fork 100 mm. Gotta get that Cashmoney Kashima
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-22-21, 02:37 PM
abshipp 

More wheelbuilding stuff since I really hate the mismatched rims on my track bike.

I had two 650b Velocity Synergy rims that I thought were both 36 hole but one of them ended up only having 32 spokes. I was impatient and not wanting to spend any more money so I just built up a spare 650b Velocity Atlas (super wide, super heavy touring rim) I had. Well that's been driving me nuts so I was looking in to picking up a 32 hole Origin8 hub to match the rear but also needed some spokes that were a bit longer.

The spokes I found for around $.50/pc on an eBay store and happened to look at the seller's other items - they had a "Superb" high flange front hub that looks exactly like the Origin8 I was planning on buying, but $20 cheaper! I think I can deal with mismatched hub labels to save a Jackson

Old 03-23-21, 04:32 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I just got a Surly Hurdy Gurdy for my Cross Check. I didn't even know these existed before. I've seen plenty of ss CC's but I don't think I've ever seen one of these on one. I can't see a downside to it yet--it is pretty nifty for really fine-tuning chain tension, and the extra layer of safety seems like a no-brainer(though I always checked for loose bolts and whatnot regularly anyway). We will see!

Old 03-23-21, 06:29 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by pbass
I just got a Surly Hurdy Gurdy
Well that's certainly clever! I had no idea that existed either.

Does the CC not have dropout adjuster screws? I can't tell on the website.

I'm fortunate in that my only fixed gear with horizontal slanted dropouts has dropout adjusters so it's super easy always putting the wheel back in the correct place.
Old 03-23-21, 07:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Well that's certainly clever! I had no idea that existed either.

Does the CC not have dropout adjuster screws? I can't tell on the website.

I'm fortunate in that my only fixed gear with horizontal slanted dropouts has dropout adjusters so it's super easy always putting the wheel back in the correct place.
Yeah there are adjuster screws for the CC (I just have mine out currently) but this is more about a) extra security from your wheel pulling forward out of the dropout, and b) a real fine-tuning adjustment of the chain tension.
I never worried about my wheel coming out before, I just made sure things were tight. But it doesn't suck to know it can't pull out now. But mostly I will say, it's pretty cool how the smallest adjustment of the screw on this thing affects the chain tension. You can really dial it in. So far so good.
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-26-21, 09:06 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just purchased new chains as the price was great on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with the below?

Izumi Jet Black Single Speed Chain 1/8" Black/Silver 116L

Old 03-26-21, 10:23 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by abshipp
they had a "Superb" high flange front hub that looks exactly like the Origin8 I was planning on buying, but $20 cheaper! I think I can deal with mismatched hub labels to save a Jackson
Well nevermind on that I suppose, apparently they only had one and the flange is cracked

Anyone got a spare Origin8 SS-1101 in 32h silver taking up space?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.