Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Raising the handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 07:40 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Raising the handlebars

Some tall people seek out large frames, which may be difficult to find and expensive. Some of us like to minimize our costs, and modify ordinary bikes so they are comfortable for taller riders.

It is easy to buy a long seat post and raise the seat. But if the handlebars are too low, the bike is uncomfortable. Raising the handlebars is a bit more involved.

If you raise the handlebars, you may need to replace the brake and gear cables with longer ones.

Be aware not all handlebars are the same. Some can be raised by the following methods. Others require different methods.

One method is to buy one of these.

This method has been used by another forum member.

For more details see: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...lt-hybrid.html

If you want the handlebars even higher, you can use raised handlebars, for example, these bmx handlebars.

When using these, it may or may not be difficult to secure them tightly enough so they don't rotate forward when you hit the brakes, or hit a pot hole.

I have been experimenting with another method.

Here is the bike before raising the handlebars.

Here is the bike after raising the handlebars.

Here is a close up.

If I had not changed any cables, I could have raised the handlebars 100 mm / 4 inches. I changed the front brake cable only, and was able to raise the handlebars 150 mm / 6 inches. If I change the other cables, I can raise the handlebars 250 mm / 10 inches, with this particular tube. I have left it long, so I can raise it further if I change the other cables in the future.

I put a plastic bottle over it when I ride, so I don't get speared if I have an accident.

When modifying bikes, you need to ensure what you use is strong enough. This is a steel tube. You can get thin aluminum tubes which will do the job, but you can expect to break if you crash, or even hit a pot hole.

You need a longer bolt, or a way to extend the bolt.

The parts came from scooters.

Last edited by alo; 04-14-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 02:09 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
If talking about bike-shop quality bikes, then larger frames are no more expensive than smaller sizes.

Also, handlebar height is not the only dimension of bikes that varies with frame sizes. Your suggestions might be reasonable if one already has a desperately ill-fitting bike and no other options, but getting a bike that is at least close to fitting is a better option. Either second hand or last year's leftover stock at a bike shop... there are options before one resorts to the hideous solutions you posted. It will probably make a tall person's back sore, but is definitely makes my eyes sore.

I can buy shoes 5 sizes too small and cut out and replace the toes in them with a larger set, but I think it is a better plan to keep searching until I find shoes that fit.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier: