Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surly Big Dummy electrification

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 04:43 AM
niccologo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I would like to mount an electric motor on the front wheel of a Big Dummy that I use to take my children on steep hills over short distances. I want to mount it on the front wheel because it is easy to disassemble, cheaper, also useful for rebalancing the weight at the moment unbalanced towards the rear.
I'm writing to know from someone who has experience in the subject, which set-up has chosen and which problems of drivability he has found.
Thank you, Niccolò
Old 01-31-18, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Id convert the crank to mid drive if I were you, hub motors dont offer much torque for hills, more ease on flat ground..
a very 'clever' solution was made by the owner partner in the Clever Cycles Shop in Portland OR.. ( Ask for Todd)

The motor turns a left side chainring, using that crankarm from a tandem drivetrain, it keeps the triple chainrings on the right side.

so you get the gearing advantages of a MTB drive train.. the motor uses the space behind the seat tube that a big dummy offers.
Aka Stoke Monkey'..

My* LBS installs a lot of mid drive kits on MTB, the buyers mostly hunters, going past the gated roads into timber company lands,
where motor bikes are not allowed..

* friend of local, not 'mine'..

Old 02-02-18, 05:53 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Todd has a hard time time with phones. Anxiety disorder. Best send an email. Or wait for Jeremy to come back from vacation on the 8th. He does all the installations. We've mostly been using the eRad systems for a rad, but still do the occasional Stokemonkey.
Old 02-03-18, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

As I said, above, Out here the Lectric Cycles Mid drives get retrofitted, but it's just a single chain ring.. buyers commonly are hunters , bikes MTB,

though a few prefer fat bikes , for heading into the hilly logging roads accessing clear cuts.

Old 02-03-18, 01:58 PM
odiolalluvia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hunters are out on electric bikes? I'm picturing a deer strapped onto the back of a Big Dummy now!
Old 02-03-18, 02:22 PM
odiolalluvia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg. you're right. i love it!
Old 02-03-18, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Petrol Motor bikes are not allowed on the timber company lands, but adding an electric motor is still considered a bicycle..

Lots of the timber company land is steep hills but laced with gravel roads to get the logs out on big trucks..