Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have a Salsa Bucksaw Fatbike?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 08:19 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

so I've been looking at getting a fatbike to replace my more road-oriented touring bike.
I want to still do long tours but I'd like them to be away from traffic for the most part and off pavement. I also want to get into mountain biking and just generally have a bike I can beat on without worrying too much.

The Salsa Bucksaw looks like the best fit for me because it seems like it'll be really comfy but still able to handle more technical trails should I choose to go that route. A few things give me second thoughts, however: IIRC the seat stays are carbon fibre and on a bike that's going to get crashed and subjected to airline baggage handlers and all sorts of rough stuff that makes me nervous. All it takes is one nick from any of the aforementioned to end a trip or hang ye olde Sword of Damocles above my head. The other thing is these bikes only permit the use of 4" tires and for touring a lack of flexibility in usable components can make things difficult to say the least. This latter issue may be moot since pretty much the whole bike is uncommon most places on earth and any replacement parts will have to be specially ordered.

I really like the price of the bike the aluminum frame I think would work out to about $3500 CAD roughly which is the top end for what I'll pay for any bike and it's one of the few I've seen that'll fit my long legs.

So can these things pretty much handle the full menu of mountain biking? I want to ride park, go bikepacking ride street and all that jazz and can't have more than one bike (I'm nomadic)

Thoughts?
Old 03-26-18, 12:18 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
A bucksaw can do everything, I can't comment on how reliable the suspension stuff will be for world touring though.

For self supported world touring, I'd be more inclined to roll on a fully rigid frame made of metal (be that steel, aluminum or titanium). Any fatbike has plenty of suspension in the tires alone, I'd recommend riding one in some rough stuff before committing to a full suspension setup you may not really need.