Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bags for Catrike 700

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bags for Catrike 700

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 09:02 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bags for Catrike 700

I know there is a set of Cat 700 bags made just for the 700. However, I find the bags a bit pricey, or a lot. Any suggestions for bags that would work and have a lower price range. I normally do not question pricing this much, but this one seems outlandish, IMHO.
Old 03-16-18, 03:52 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the moment, these bags are "out of stock", but they are worth every penny as is everything I have ever used from the Arkel line. The quality and function are superb IMHO. Mike

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/catrike-700.html
Old 03-17-18, 07:36 AM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, OK, OK. Mchell is correct. As I said, I seldom worry about pricing on good products, but for some reason this one hit me the wrong way. After reading Mchell's post I went back to the fact they make very good products. So -- I ordered a set of the bags. Still think they are a bit pricey, but probably worth it.
Old 03-17-18, 04:27 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@BikeArkansas You won't be disappointed. Remember, that's $150 for two bags, beautifully designed to fit the 700 and the price is in Canadian dollars. Mike
Old 03-18-18, 10:10 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, let me say I am NOT anti-Arkel. As a matter of fact, I've owned Arkel products for years (though not this particular product) and find them well-made. That said, the company has backed its products when I've had any issues, when I've had/wanted to replace a part and has responded quickly to me via email 99% of the times I've ever contacted them.

None of that negates the fact that they ARE expensive. If there were ANY other comparable products at a less expensive price, I'd certainly buy them.

But I do like my Arkels.
Old 03-26-18, 09:16 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received my Catrike 700 bags today. My initial thoughts were correct. These bags are not even close to being worth the $150.00 plus freight. Why do I doubt myself. I knew they appeared "pricey" to say the least. I ordered them anyway.

This reminds me of a golfing friend of mine that was in a foursome on a very nice country club course. At hole 17 a very good golfer that was having a very bad day hit a shot to an island green. He was just off the green, so he walked to it with his chipping club, made a good chip with the ball less than 2 feet from the cup. He asked to use another man's putter to tap in. He missed the tap in, turned to the water and threw the putter into the middle of the lake. The owner of the putter yelled at the disgruntled player. After borrowing the putter and missing the put, the man still steaming from missing the put, turned to the yelling putter owner and told him, "If you cannot afford the game, don't play it."

I guess if I cannot afford cycling, I should not cycle.
Old 03-30-18, 09:01 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't own any Arkels, but from my experience, recumbent bags are all expensive.
Old 03-30-18, 07:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A fifteen year old Arkel Tailrider is on our Screamer's rear rack every time that we ride it. It cost almost a hundred bucks when new, which seemed like a lot. Got my money's worth.

Last edited by JanMM; 03-30-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 02:53 PM
mchell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto, JanMM We have three Arkel Tailriders on our various bikes (trike) and they are all worth every penny! We also have a pair of Arkel GT 54 panniers that have had moderate use, but they are well-designed, well-made and very practical. Remember that we are talking in Canadian dollars for the 700 Catrike panniers priced at $149.99 Yes, it is expensive to buy anything in Canada. I paid $1.29 CDN for a litre of gas yesterday. (55 litres filled the tank!) I believe a US gallon to be 3.78 litres, so do the math. From my experience, Arkel products are worth every penny. Mike