Notices

2017 Bianchi Recall

Old 08-02-17, 03:17 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
2017 Bianchi Recall

Lisa just got a call from the LBS to stop riding her 2017 Infinito CV Dama. Bummer, since we were planning a century charity ride on Saturday.

Bianchi’s internal test laboratory has recently detected a possible defect in the forks of a limited quantity of 2017 model year: Infinito CV, Infinito CV Dama Bianca, Intenso and Intenso Dama Bianca (non disc version) bikes and framesets. The failure could result in serious injury to the rider. The consumer must immediately stop to use their bike and return it to their Bianchi Dealer.

For this reason, we are recalling and replacing forks from model year 2017. Forks affected can be identified from the photos below. If you have a model that is not the same as appears in the below photo's then you can continue to use the bicycle without any problem.

Wholesalers, distributors and dealers must stop selling all bicycles that are affected and contact consumers of sold bicycles to inform them and schedule to replace their forks with new forks we will provide to you. You will be contacted by our customer service department to inform you of the delivery details of replacement forks. It is important that you return all replaced forks to Bianchi for our evaluation and control.

Safety and reliability are equal to the performance we design into every Bianchi bicycle and we apologize for your inconvenience. We are conducting continuous testing to ensure your safety and the intended performance of our products.
https://www.bianchi.com/global/focus...intenso-380558
Old 08-03-17, 07:47 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That really sucks. Did they give a time frame for how long it would take to get the new fork in?

Last week I ended up on the recall site for some reason I can't remember now...Anyway I looked up the recalls of bikes and such while I was there. Led me to wonder about how many people probably have no idea about the recalls that would affect them, and how many of those recalled bikes or components were/are being sold used still. I saved the page JIC, to look back on if I buy anything used.
Old 08-03-17, 07:57 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
That really sucks. Did they give a time frame for how long it would take to get the new fork in?

Last week I ended up on the recall site for some reason I can't remember now...Anyway I looked up the recalls of bikes and such while I was there. Led me to wonder about how many people probably have no idea about the recalls that would affect them, and how many of those recalled bikes or components were/are being sold used still. I saved the page JIC, to look back on if I buy anything used.
Do you have a link to said recall site? Thanks
Old 08-03-17, 08:03 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MidSouthBiker
Do you have a link to said recall site? Thanks

Sure do - https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls?field_r...ombine=bicycle

That is just for the bike related items. The site has every recall though, of course.

Ah, and welcome to BF!
Old 08-03-17, 08:10 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again! I have 2015 Intenso model, so I think I am in the clear.
Old 08-07-17, 06:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Hardrock23

We should have a replacement fork by the end of August. Lisa decided to 'roll the dice' and ride the Bianchi on Saturday.... 50 miles with no fork failures. Lisa opted for a shorter route for a couple reasons and one was avoiding the rural roads with rumble-strips on the century course. But the biggest issue was she hadn't had time to get in condition for the long route. I road the century course, supporting our daughter on her first century (proud dad).

It sounds like the failures are impact related, and are breaking on the steer-tube. Steer-tube failures freak us out, Lisa and I witnessed a man with a steer-tube failure; he was riding at speed (out of the saddle) when it failed and he slammed into a park bench and superman 10-15 feet before bellyflopping on the pavement. He was up and walking around when we left him with an ER doctor that also witnessed the wreck.

I'm honestly not worried about Lisa and this recall, she is very gentle with her bikes. There's the rare pothole, but otherwise, her bikes live a very easy life. (I'm sure my bikes are all kinds of jealous) Lucky for Lisa, she's got a number of other bikes to ride this month ... maybe it's time for long rides on our 'new' 1965 Schwinn Twinn

About the recall notification... this is one more reason for working with a great LBS, I doubt we'd ever known about a recall like this without the shop calling us.
Old 08-07-17, 06:47 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

More information about the recall: Bianchi fork recall 2017 - BikeRadar

Bianchi UK's Andrew Griffin has confirmed that although two forks are known to have failed in a manner deemed unacceptable, both had suffered impacts and there have been no spontaneous failures (i.e. 'just-riding-along').
Old 08-08-17, 06:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I can not find any of these code on Lisa's Bianchi. I'm assuming that this color code should be part of the serial number, right?

The affected models are as follows:
Infinito CV / Infinito CV Dama Bianca, colour codes: 1H, BZ, 7Z, BW
Intenso / Intenso Dama Bianca (non-disc version), colour codes: 1J, 2E, BB, RB, PL
I'm guessing that Bianchi and the LBS are contacting all Infinito CV Dama Bianca owners, regardless of color. I'll add info when we get a call that the new fork is in, I hope to get info from the shop owner (he's a HUGE Bianchi fan).
Old 02-04-18, 08:09 PM
Ericg6178

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
We should have a replacement fork by the end of August. Lisa decided to 'roll the dice' and ride the Bianchi on Saturday.... 50 miles with no fork failures. Lisa opted for a shorter route for a couple reasons and one was avoiding the rural roads with rumble-strips on the century course. But the biggest issue was she hadn't had time to get in condition for the long route. I road the century course, supporting our daughter on her first century (proud dad).

It sounds like the failures are impact related, and are breaking on the steer-tube. Steer-tube failures freak us out, Lisa and I witnessed a man with a steer-tube failure; he was riding at speed (out of the saddle) when it failed and he slammed into a park bench and superman 10-15 feet before bellyflopping on the pavement. He was up and walking around when we left him with an ER doctor that also witnessed the wreck.

I'm honestly not worried about Lisa and this recall, she is very gentle with her bikes. There's the rare pothole, but otherwise, her bikes live a very easy life. (I'm sure my bikes are all kinds of jealous) Lucky for Lisa, she's got a number of other bikes to ride this month ... maybe it's time for long rides on our 'new' 1965 Schwinn Twinn

About the recall notification... this is one more reason for working with a great LBS, I doubt we'd ever known about a recall like this without the shop calling us.
Nah.
Old 05-23-18, 07:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I totally forgot about starting this thread and to post the conclusion. We found out over the winter that Lisa's Bianchi was not part of this recall

The LBS gave her bike a full cleaning and tune-up to compensate use for the inconvenience.

Bianchi sent us his and hers jerseys.