Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

We're getting our first pair of bents!!!! All knowledge welcome

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 02:53 PM
ovadoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I (empty nesters) want to get back to biking again and have settled on getting a pair of bents. Looking for health benefits and enjoyment. In our 60's and in relatively good shape. We also ride our Harley a lot, but want a little more recreation. Test rode a couple bents last week and you couldn't wipe the smile off my wife's face. (Same look she had on her first Harley). We are looking for our first models to be in the 1,000 to 1,500 range. Like the Catrike Dumont a lot. Rear suspension could be useful. Any comments welcome. Look out world!!!

Last edited by ovadoc; 06-21-18 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Add Quote
Old 06-20-18, 04:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There are a lot of variations on the recumbent theme and they all ride a little bit differently. Getting a recumbent sized and set up right takes a little bit of know how too. There are also some potential issues in the transportation and storage of recumbents.

My advice is to take a road trip to a recumbent specialty store. A bike shop that has 2 recumbents on the floor isn't good enough. A recumbent specialty shop will be able to help you to select the bikes (trikes) that suit you best, will be able to set them up to suit you, and will be able to talk you through any transportation and storage issues that you may have. Well worth the extra time and expense.
Old 06-21-18, 07:11 AM
superj

Bikes: lighting cycles phantom, p-38, and a bike-e ct

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. but also try some two wheel recumbents too. they are also nice and fun to ride
Old 06-21-18, 11:23 AM
ovadoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. We are going to a shop about 130 miles from home that specialize in recumbents. Great selection and very knowledgeable staff. Transportation not as big of an issue, but would like to take with 5th Wheel eventually.

"My Goal in Life is to NOT die in a well preserved boy, but to slide in the grave sideways, at 40 MPH yelling..."
Old 06-21-18, 12:01 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Dumont is in $4200 range, but nicely configured especially the folding aspect for transport and storage purposes. Consider getting a headrest when
looking at trikes (and some 2-wheel bents), keeps the neck a lot more comfortable. You have to learn early to down shift before coming to a stop.
Some people have difficulty extracting themselves from trikes, check that out as well, depends partly on where you can touch the ground with your
feet while sitting on the bike.
Old 06-21-18, 08:22 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Looking for bikes or trikes or not sure?
Old 07-16-18, 11:48 AM
ovadoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great input...thank you. We decided to get my wife a SUN T3, which she loves. I bought a use 2013 Sun model that is a few steps up from the T3 and really enjoying it. We ride 3 to 4 days a week and keep increasing our mileage. We will see where this goes, but so far so good.
Old 07-17-18, 12:04 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by ovadoc
Great input...thank you. We decided to get my wife a SUN T3, which she loves. I bought a use 2013 Sun model that is a few steps up from the T3 and really enjoying it. We ride 3 to 4 days a week and keep increasing our mileage. We will see where this goes, but so far so good.
AFAIK the T3 is the top of the line. What exactly model of Sun do you have?
Old 08-01-18, 03:18 PM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovadoc
My wife and I (empty nesters) want to get back to biking again and have settled on getting a pair of bents. Looking for health benefits and enjoyment. In our 60's and in relatively good shape. We also ride our Harley a lot, but want a little more recreation. Test rode a couple bents last week and you couldn't wipe the smile off my wife's face. (Same look she had on her first Harley). We are looking for our first models to be in the 1,000 to 1,500 range. Like the Catrike Dumont a lot. Rear suspension could be useful. Any comments welcome. Look out world!!!
Like others said, go to a store and try them. Understand the difference between direct and indirect sterring and no suspension/rear/full and the drawbacks. Also, test something with an engine added. Where you actually ride will influence what is more appropriate for what you need.