Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Abandoned Bike Share Photos

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Abandoned Bike Share Photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 09:45 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/07/...rollercoaster/
Old 09-13-18, 12:18 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nasabiker
It is good that you respected the value of the bikes that were provided to you under a capitalist business model, and the investment that was made by the companies to bring you a service,but its obvious that many people do not share your ethic. therein lies the problem with communism and other similar arrangements. people by and large need a personal investment in something for them to take responsibility for its well-being. its a simple equation- why do I invest limited my time energy and skill in something if someone else will do it for me.
You were on a good roll and I shouldn't have disregarded you.

What is the evidence that people don't share my ethic (what is my ethic?)
Old 09-13-18, 01:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Sounds more like "poised to prosper" as in wishful thinking. Unless you consider dumping a lot of unused/unworkable/unavailable vehicles of questionable reliability on the street as "prospering."

Extract from your posted site/article:

"While Seattle’s bike-share fleet is poised to grow, performance indicators have not been encouraging. Newly released data shows that with 10,000 bikes across all fleets citywide, ridership averaged about 7,000 daily trips in May and June, or 0.7 trips per bike per day.

One reason for the lackluster usage may be that many bikes are not actually available, depleting the capacity of bike-share and diminishing reliability. Testers with the Seattle Times found that nearly a third of the 206 bikes they spot-checked were unrideable, either because of “obvious damage” to the bike or glitches with the app-based unlocking mechanism.

The ability of the venture capital-backed bike-share companies to keep their fleets in workable condition has always been one of the big unknowns hanging over the business model. In Seattle, it’s still an open question."
Old 09-13-18, 01:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
(what is my ethic?)
Good question!
Old 09-13-18, 01:56 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sounds more like "poised to prosper" as in wishful thinking. Unless you consider dumping a lot of unused/unworkable/unavailable vehicles of questionable reliability on the street as "prospering."

Extract from your posted site/article:

"While Seattle’s bike-share fleet is poised to grow, performance indicators have not been encouraging. Newly released data shows that with 10,000 bikes across all fleets citywide, ridership averaged about 7,000 daily trips in May and June, or 0.7 trips per bike per day.

One reason for the lackluster usage may be that many bikes are not actually available, depleting the capacity of bike-share and diminishing reliability. Testers with the Seattle Times found that nearly a third of the 206 bikes they spot-checked were unrideable, either because of “obvious damage” to the bike or glitches with the app-based unlocking mechanism.

The ability of the venture capital-backed bike-share companies to keep their fleets in workable condition has always been one of the big unknowns hanging over the business model. In Seattle, it’s still an open question."
All fair assessments. What I saw in Seattle was that the e-bikes being put out now by LimeBike were all the rage. A few factors come into play here that might help them continue to grow:
1) The fee for the e-bikes (and electric scooters) is 10 times the fee for standard dockless bike-share bikes ($1/hour vs $1 to unlock and $.15/minute = $10/hour).
2) The e-bikes (and scooters) are taken off the streets every night to be recharged and then redistributed in the morning. This has reduced the vandalism as well as unrideable bikes just being left strewn about the city.
I will admit, this could be wishful thinking on my part, though.

edit (added the $1 to unlock to the fees)

Last edited by MMACH 5; 09-13-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 07:06 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Has Ofo ever operated legally in Phoenix; are they even in operation there at all, or have they just totally abandoned whatever crap-mobiles they previously dumped on the city?

Apparently Ofo is bailing out of the U.S. market
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-b...ons-1531959910
"China Bike-Sharing Giant Ofo to Shut Most U.S. Operations

Updated July 18, 2018 9:04 p.m. ET

Less than a year after China’s Ofo Inc. entered the U.S. with big ambitions, the world’s largest bike-share company plans to shut down most of its U.S. operations, people familiar with the matter said.

Beijing-based Ofo told U.S. employees Wednesday that it is cutting the vast majority of its workforce in the U.S. and retreating to a handful of larger cities, these people said. Ofo told staff it is still determining which cities it will continue operating in, the people said. It has more than 40,000 bicycles in more than 30 U.S. markets."
Thanks for the link. Couldn't access the whole article but after googling around.. It appears Ofo is leaving or has left the Phoenix area. Didn't see many yellow bikes last weekend but there were plenty the weekend previous.
Old 09-14-18, 08:34 AM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You were on a good roll and I shouldn't have disregarded you.

What is the evidence that people don't share my ethic (what is my ethic?)
It as an assumption, I'll admit, but the assumption is that your ethic in this case is treating the bikes with some due care, as you are a bike guy like myself(otherwise why be on the forum or care about the bike share issues).
Old 09-14-18, 08:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by nasabiker
It as an assumption, I'll admit, but the assumption is that your ethic in this case is treating the bikes with some due care, as you are a bike guy like myself(otherwise why be on the forum or care about the bike share issues).
It's an experience with European dockless bike systems. I never saw an issue with Call-a-Bike in Germany when I lived there.

Except that they were always in use!

https://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/en
Old 09-14-18, 09:25 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

It's an experience with European dockless bike systems. I never saw an issue with Call-a-Bike in Germany when I lived there.

Except that they were always in use!

https://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/en
That looks like an awesome system.
Old 09-14-18, 10:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by MMACH 5
That looks like an awesome system.
When I lived in Germany I had a BahnCard100 which gave me free high-speed trains and subways across Germany in addition to free/reduced rate car and bike rentals.

First class offers free showers and sleeping in train stations and free funded on trains.

Price: €350/mo for Second / €500/mo for First Class.

edit: seems that it's gone up: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/...ncard100.shtml

Well worth it.