Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Horrible commute ride.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Horrible commute ride.

Old 08-25-18, 02:45 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Horrible commute ride.

As I left work yesterday (Friday), late already, my front tire flatter before I was 200m from the bike rack. Pushed back a bit to have a bench to work at, patched the tube.

4km later, front flat again. Change to my spare tube, hop on. Seems to be low, so I stop to top up a little, slip while pumping, and bend the valve core. It breaks when I turn the nut after trying to straighten it, but seems to be holding air. I put my zefal hpx back on the bike, and coast down to the lock to cross the canal. As I'm carrying my bike across the lock, my pump falls in the drink. Forgot to put velcro strap on.

I got home fine, but took a while and really frustrating.

Still better than driving in traffic.
Old 08-25-18, 03:51 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I hate when that happens.

-Kedosto
Old 08-25-18, 04:45 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
+1 Tomorrow is another day to ride. Hang in there.
Old 08-25-18, 05:09 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re thr bug. But mostly you’re the windshield. Commute more!
Old 08-26-18, 06:24 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Almost the same thing happened to me once but with the addition that I had the flat during a downpour. Took me five minutes to find an area out of the rain. Replaced the tube and bent/broke the valve stem though in my case, I did not have sufficient pressure in the tire to hold the tub closed and the inner part fell into tube. I was so fed up that I called the wife for a ride - only the second time in decades of commuting. The other time was when my handlebar broke.

Yes, these challenges are character-building and anything is better than driving in traffic. Your thread title should have been "horrible, but could have been worse"

Last edited by Hoopdriver; 08-26-18 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 08:19 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
The struggle is real.
Bloodied, bruised, late, wet, cold, dirty, sweaty, lost, threatened, close calls, broken, crooked, flat...
Originally Posted by Viich
+1000!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-18, 09:06 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Crap happens but dropping the lock was the expensive part. Sorry to hear your predicament. I once dropped a two way radio into the Rideau Canal and it was an expensive lesson.
Old 08-26-18, 09:27 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
How far is this commute?
Old 08-26-18, 10:37 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
As I left work yesterday (Friday),
At least your were not heading to work.
Old 08-26-18, 12:21 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
As I left work yesterday (Friday), late already, my front tire flatter before I was 200m from the bike rack. Pushed back a bit to have a bench to work at, patched the tube.

4km later, front flat again. Change to my spare tube, hop on. Seems to be low, so I stop to top up a little, slip while pumping, and bend the valve core. It breaks when I turn the nut after trying to straighten it, but seems to be holding air. I put my zefal hpx back on the bike, and coast down to the lock to cross the canal. As I'm carrying my bike across the lock, my pump falls in the drink. Forgot to put velcro strap on.

I got home fine, but took a while and really frustrating.

I hope Monday is better for you. Cheers

We all have those days once in a while. Those days makes up truly appreciate the other ones. You may want to consider a pump like the Topek Road Morph, it has a hose, which makes damaging the valve stem less likely than with the Zefal. I wanted to put a Zefal on my LHT when I got it, since I had one for many years on a differen bike, and it worked well, and of course the LHT has a pin for a frame pump. The old bike has Schrader valves though, and are harder to damage with a pump. I went with the Road Morph instead and really like it.
Old 08-26-18, 12:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Days like these make me glad buses have bike racks.

The same racks that anti-cyclists complain are a waste of money because they never see them being used.
Old 08-26-18, 02:03 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Crap happens but dropping the lock was the expensive part. Sorry to hear your predicament. I once dropped a two way radio into the Rideau Canal and it was an expensive lesson.
Actually my pump, not lock. My lock lives on the bike rack. It

Originally Posted by StarBiker
How far is this commute?
Between 16 and 20km, depending on route - the 20km route involves a lot more bike path and less stopping - it's my summer route. The shorter is passable in the winter.

Originally Posted by vol
At least your were not heading to work.
Yea, not a huge deal anyway, I've got a lot of flexibility in hours.
Old 08-26-18, 02:14 PM
Viich
Hack

The original flat was a small tear on the inside of the tube, and some of the spokes seemed a little loose, so I pulled out the truing stand and tried to get everything to an even tension, true and round. I got it done, and then thought about how long it's been that I've had that wheel and have never greased the bearings, so I did that as well. It's an AlexRims R500 with a Shimano H-2200 hub, everything looked good with no sign of contamination.

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing wrong patching tubes...... I've never had enough flats to practice much, but I think I need to get it figured out. I almost never have them last very long on road tires.
Old 08-26-18, 02:15 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by phughes
We all have those days once in a while. Those days makes up truly appreciate the other ones. You may want to consider a pump like the Topek Road Morph, it has a hose, which makes damaging the valve stem less likely than with the Zefal. I wanted to put a Zefal on my LHT when I got it, since I had one for many years on a differen bike, and it worked well, and of course the LHT has a pin for a frame pump. The old bike has Schrader valves though, and are harder to damage with a pump. I went with the Road Morph instead and really like it.
Thanks, I'm looking at the road morph or something similar. I really like the volume of the full size frame pump, but none of them have a hose.
Old 08-26-18, 07:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking at the road morph or something similar. I really like the volume of the full size frame pump, but none of them have a hose.
I was the same way, but I have to say, I am very happy with the Road Morph. I think the fact you pump it like a foot pump helps make up for the lack of volume.
Old 08-26-18, 09:21 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
The original flat was a small tear on the inside of the tube, ......

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing wrong patching tubes...... I've never had enough flats to practice much, but I think I need to get it figured out. I almost never have them last very long on road tires.
What size tire and what size patch are you using? Patches you'd get in a kit these days are larger for more general, hybrid, mountain and kids bike with fat tires. They are harder to get a good seal on skinnier road tires and one has to fold the patch around the skinny tire as opposed to lay the patch flat on the tire and get a good "flat" seal. So lay it down "flat" and use smallest possible patch for fixing that "flat".

Last edited by Eds0123; 08-27-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 06:15 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I know people log these kind of miles in and more on their commutes but 25 miles round trip a day is a haul.
I doubt you are hanging 2X12 Greenboard all day.
Old 08-27-18, 09:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Good example of what helps make bike commuters badasses
Old 08-27-18, 10:53 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Those dayz suck.
Old 08-27-18, 11:34 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I was the same way, but I have to say, I am very happy with the Road Morph. I think the fact you pump it like a foot pump helps make up for the lack of volume.
I'll second that - I swear by this pump and find it's easier to fill a tire than larger volume frame pumps because you use it like a small stand pump.

The hose eliminates the risk of damaging the tube stem as well. Highly recommended.
Old 08-27-18, 05:47 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by StarBiker
I know people log these kind of miles in and more on their commutes but 25 miles round trip a day is a haul.
I doubt you are hanging 2X12 Greenboard all day.
It's not bad, I used to run in the morning and mix running and bus in the evening, but biking is faster, plus I'm getting slow and lazy. From labour day until the snow flies and from the melt until school gets out biking is actually quite a bit faster than driving.

No, I'm not doing labour, I'm an engineer now. I do know how to work though, 10 years enlisted before I decided the knees had had enough.
Old 08-27-18, 05:48 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by winston63
I'll second that - I swear by this pump and find it's easier to fill a tire than larger volume frame pumps because you use it like a small stand pump.

The hose eliminates the risk of damaging the tube stem as well. Highly recommended.
Thanks, I think I may order one, it's extremely well recommended, and I take commuting forum recommendations seriously
Old 09-05-18, 02:39 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've learned the hard way to take my time after repairing a flat. In my haste to get going, I've left behind tire levers, inflators, patch kits, etc.
Like you did, it helps to push the bike to more comfortable work conditions where the repair is less stressful, and hopefully you'll remember to put all your stuff back the right way.
Old 09-10-18, 04:14 PM
acorn54

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i can vouch for the road morph. plus the customer service is top notch. once i called them saying i needed to order a new hose assembly, as i broke the thumb lever that fastens the tire valve to the pump. the customer rep said "no problem i'll send out a new one right away and there's no charge". i told him the pump was 9 years old!.good people to deal with.
Old 09-16-18, 08:20 PM
Viich
Hack

I ordered the road morph. Used it today after some wheel repair as a test, I am quite pleased. Thanks for the recommendations.