Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Gator/4season/4ks2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 05:08 PM
Piperflyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Gator/4season/4ks2?

I have a few event rides coming up and have been thinking with the idea to change out my tires for them. Currently i ride a Giant Anyroad Comax, stock 700x32c tires P-SLX2 max tire pressure 75psi. Now I’m 240# rider, was 270! So still going down and feeling good about it.

back to topic.

i read somewhere for my weight a ball park figure for 32’s is 95psi which i’ve Been running mine at 85-90 and seems great for the last 500 miles. I’ve narrowed down to 3 different tires. For 28’s i should run 110 psi and these tires are all good for 120psi max rating.

Gatorskins 28/32, Conti 4 seasons 32’s, conti 4000SII 28’s

These tires would be used mostly for road events, then swap the stock 32’s back on for my commuting and training rides. Decent pave grip, knobs on the sides so I can tackle off-road if wanted or needed who knows maybe after trying one of the above tires i may not switch back!

anyways, advice for those that may have tried these tires out. I’ll purchase a set Tuesday.
Old 09-02-18, 05:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I've never tried gatorskins but if you're looking for "event only" tires, skip those. They ride like rocks.

The GP4000-2 tires are very nice although they're semi famous for being susceptible to sidewall cuts. I used to use 25mm Contis at about 100-110 when I was 230lb or so. Great rolling tires, just not terribly durable.

I personally prefer Michelin Pro4 tires, but they seemed to have renamed them again so I have to figure out which ones I like.

You can probably find your Contis from any of the GB based bike stores for about $30 or so per tire, so definitely go that route.

$37 - https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/conti...tyre/#pid=7815

$34 - https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../10918169.html

$72 (2 tires and two "free" innertubes!) - https://www.merlincycles.com/contine...air-71989.html

Looks like the 28mm option tends to add a buck or two to the cost.

Happy shopping.
Old 09-02-18, 08:33 PM
Piperflyer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks that’s a good assessment you gave. I heard somewhere else that gators rolling like a hard water hose lol so ya may skip those. I’ve been leaning for the 4000’s so I might just grab those. The events that they will be used on are good roads and smooth bike paths with little no debris worries.

However, I will probably use something a little tougher for my daily / training tire as I sometimes get into stuff doing that. Lol

thanks again mate!
Old 09-02-18, 11:24 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Want good rolling and supple tires?

Soma Fabrications Shikoro tires:

Shikoro 700c Clincher Tire | SOMA Fabrications

Not cheap, but boy are they nice! Subtle tread holds really well in anything but deep sand. I have found them for $50 each on Amazon
Sizes: 700 x 23, 28, 33, 38, 42c
Old 09-03-18, 08:17 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Want good rolling and supple tires?

Soma Fabrications Shikoro tires:

Shikoro 700c Clincher Tire | SOMA Fabrications

Not cheap, but boy are they nice! Subtle tread holds really well in anything but deep sand. I have found them for $50 each on Amazon
Sizes: 700 x 23, 28, 33, 38, 42c
i was dead impressed with these too. I have a set on my MTB right now in it’s role as do-it-all, in 42mm.

Did a a great job and I could run low-ish pressures Fine!
Old 09-03-18, 08:20 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I am 230, run 38s at about 55PSI back, 50 front. I have to hit something bigger than an inch or two, like a tree root raised section of the path to feel it.

Thinking about a pair of 28s for faster paced road rides/centuries
Old 09-03-18, 08:34 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm not an expert on any other tire, but I have ran all three of the Contis. Gatorskins are hard, slick, and resist punctures. They had poor wear life for me. Gatorskins don't grip worth a darn compared to the other two tires.

Currently I run a 4 Season on back, 4000s2 on front, both 25c. The 4 Season has extra side tread and good wear life so far, and they roll and feel waaaaaay better then the Gators.

The 4000s2 is great on front, I'm a huge fanboi of Continental's black chili compound. Grippy AF - on gravel, pavement, whatever!

I have yet to measure but the 25s run a little bigger it seems, probably closer to a 27mm.

Go with the 4000s2 if it's performance that you're after!
Old 09-03-18, 09:38 PM
Piperflyer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have the gp4k on order, the shikoro I like as well! I might order some in 38’s for everyday commuting / training riding.
Old 09-07-18, 08:48 AM
Piperflyer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I must say the 4k’s, wow! I’m getting PB and even a crown on strava now with them. My avg speed picked up 3 mph at a comfort cruise. And I really see these tires shine at higher speeds 20-30mph they go along so nicely. Cornering they stick seem responsive, best upgrade. Not sure if I want those 32’s back on. Lol jk I like doing gravel / explore rides.
Old 09-07-18, 10:24 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
The "ride like rocks" comments on Gatorskins always hit me as a lot of hooey (technical term).
I ride my "fast bike" on GP4k-2's. Love 'em.
I ride my "far bike" on Gatorskins. Love 'em. But I need them on the long days, cause the roads & the road-trash gets worse and worse the farther out we go.

Yep, the GP tires are a bit smoother, but not *drastically* smoother. I have much bigger issues with the quality of the asphalt on most roads than I do with the quality & characteristics of the rubber compound.
Then you start factoring in your inflation pressure, which is probably a bigger factor, and your frame dynamics...

Gatorskins don't flat when other tires do, and that *really* can change your ride day. If I tooled around a retirement village in the southwest all the time, I'd be on Vittoria Corsa's with latex. Smmoooothe with an e.
But if I ride those on a 60mi around New Jersey, at least 50% probability will have a puncture before I get home. I know, the Vittorias were the factory tires that came on the fast bike. But they were like magnets for nails, staples... pinchflats... bayonets, machetes...

I hate hate hate changing a tire on a ride.
Old 09-07-18, 10:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I don't think there's a better tire than the conti gp 4 seasons for balance of ride and puncture resistance...to me, that's the go to standard everyone else aspires to.

And a big time plus one to the gator skins as riding like they're lined with armadillos.
Old 09-07-18, 11:05 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had gatorskins on a previous bike, I thought they rode nice(ish) and I never had a flat.

Now that you got the 4ks mounted, I'd say to leave them on unless you need the extra bite.
Old 09-09-18, 01:53 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
I've been riding the Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ in 28s and I really like them. I'm 250 lbs and have them at 100 psi back and 90 psi front. Coming off of mostly Gatorskins and Armadillos, these feel good and I haven't had any puncture issues. Chip seal is much more pleasant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-10-18, 08:29 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

The Specialized Roubaix tires are pretty nice...I think they split the difference between gator skins and GP 4 seasons.
Old 09-17-18, 08:23 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'm not an expert on any other tire, but I have ran all three of the Contis. Gatorskins are hard, slick, and resist punctures. They had poor wear life for me. Gatorskins don't grip worth a darn compared to the other two tires.

Currently I run a 4 Season on back, 4000s2 on front, both 25c. The 4 Season has extra side tread and good wear life so far, and they roll and feel waaaaaay better then the Gators.

The 4000s2 is great on front, I'm a huge fanboi of Continental's black chili compound. Grippy AF - on gravel, pavement, whatever!

I have yet to measure but the 25s run a little bigger it seems, probably closer to a 27mm.

Go with the 4000s2 if it's performance that you're after!
I'm roughly 900 miles into a pair of Gators and I feel like the back tire is wearing quickly ... I'm around 270, and I ride five/six days a week, 300ish a month(?) ... roads around here aren't great, but they're not terrible. I keep things topped up in terms of PSI, but the back tire is starting to look squared off. I think this week, at some point, I'm swapping back to front, front to back ...

I can't imagine only getting 2K miles out of a pair of Gators. Am I being overly optimistic?
Old 09-17-18, 08:32 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I'm roughly 900 miles into a pair of Gators and I feel like the back tire is wearing quickly ... I'm around 270, and I ride five/six days a week, 300ish a month(?) ... roads around here aren't great, but they're not terrible. I keep things topped up in terms of PSI, but the back tire is starting to look squared off. I think this week, at some point, I'm swapping back to front, front to back ...

I can't imagine only getting 2K miles out of a pair of Gators. Am I being overly optimistic?
Well I'm not a clyde (~180lbs) but I got about 3k miles (probably less) before it got squared bad. I still have it as a backup, and it isn't showing cords. I have a 4s though that probably has 1.5k on front and 1.5k on back that doesn't have near the squaring of the gator.
Old 09-17-18, 09:13 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde

You could just wait until the rear is worn out. Toss it, then move the front tire to the back. Put a new tire on the front.

Tire mileage is lower for heavier riders and for strong riders that push hard on the pedals. What size tires do you have? Larger is better, of course, if there's room in the frame for them.

My tires will start to look squared off quite early, but they still have a lot of mileage left -- often 4 to 5 times as much mileage still to go! I think the rate of squaring off slows as the square part gets wider.
Old 09-17-18, 10:46 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
I tried my first pair of Continental GP4000SII this weekend. Got a rear flat (sidewall puncture) at about 34 miles on my first ride. This was my first flat of the year (only been riding for 4 months, and have ridden 1,600 miles or so). This was a little disconcerting, but the previous tires might have flatted there too. I forgot to look around to see if I could find the culprit.

I just looked at my Strava data, and the GP4000s appear to be be a significantly faster tire for me. I compared route and time data for the first 34 miles. The previous tires were Specialized Roubaix Pros in 32mm. The Continentals are 28 mm. Conditions were about the same, start time and traffic conditions were very similar.

My average speed on the Continentals was .8 MPH faster over almost identical routes. There were 8 Strava segments in common. Six were faster on the Continentals (ranging from :01 faster to :30 faster). Two were slower on the Continentals, but in both of those Segments I had to get off the bike (a thrown chain and a photo op), which would obviously slow the average speed. In all, 6 Strava personal records.

I'm going to pick up a replacement tire this evening and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see how segment times compare on several of my shorter routes that I run during the week (12-30 miles).

-Matt
Old 09-17-18, 05:51 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I tried my first pair of Continental GP4000SII this weekend. Got a rear flat (sidewall puncture) at about 34 miles on my first ride. This was my first flat of the year (only been riding for 4 months, and have ridden 1,600 miles or so). This was a little disconcerting, but the previous tires might have flatted there too. I forgot to look around to see if I could find the culprit.

I just looked at my Strava data, and the GP4000s appear to be be a significantly faster tire for me. I compared route and time data for the first 34 miles. The previous tires were Specialized Roubaix Pros in 32mm. The Continentals are 28 mm. Conditions were about the same, start time and traffic conditions were very similar.

My average speed on the Continentals was .8 MPH faster over almost identical routes. There were 8 Strava segments in common. Six were faster on the Continentals (ranging from :01 faster to :30 faster). Two were slower on the Continentals, but in both of those Segments I had to get off the bike (a thrown chain and a photo op), which would obviously slow the average speed. In all, 6 Strava personal records.

I'm going to pick up a replacement tire this evening and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see how segment times compare on several of my shorter routes that I run during the week (12-30 miles).

-Matt
I, too, got a cut tire within a few rides when I got new wider wheels. And then another puncture within a month. I was worried that the wider tire profile was prone to cuts. But that was somewhere around 12,000 or 14,000 miles ago, and I've only had one or two punctures from sharp stuff and a few pinch flats from slamming rocks or potholes since then. Statistics can be weird.

GP4000S
I've been riding GP4000S for a long time. They have a very good tradeoff between reasonable puncture protection, long tire life, very good cornering, and a smooth, fast ride. That .8 mile increase is probably a little higher than you'll find in general. New, fast equipment might get a rider to put out a bit more effort! (It often does for me). With correct tire pressures, I think the GP4000S are comparably faster on rough road surfaces, since the flexible tire soaks up the bumps better.

I've seen lots of comments that the 28mm GP4000S are actually 30mm or even more, so you can probably use tire pressures for 30-32mm instead of 28mm.

I do avoid shoulders (and often avoid bike lanes that don't get cleaned off). Riding in the right tire track of a lane, the debris is kicked away toward the side of the road by car tires.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-17-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 09:23 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I, too, got a cut tire within a few rides when I got new wider wheels. And then another puncture within a month. I was worried that the wider tire profile was prone to cuts. But that was somewhere around 12,000 or 14,000 miles ago, and I've only had one or two punctures from sharp stuff and a few pinch flats from slamming rocks or potholes since then. Statistics can be weird.

GP4000S
I've been riding GP4000S for a long time. They have a very good tradeoff between reasonable puncture protection, long tire life, very good cornering, and a smooth, fast ride. That .8 mile increase is probably a little higher than you'll find in general. New, fast equipment might get a rider to put out a bit more effort! (It often does for me). With correct tire pressures, I think the GP4000S are comparably faster on rough road surfaces, since the flexible tire soaks up the bumps better.

I've seen lots of comments that the 28mm GP4000S are actually 30mm or even more, so you can probably use tire pressures for 30-32mm instead of 28mm.

I do avoid shoulders (and often avoid bike lanes that don't get cleaned off). Riding in the right tire track of a lane, the debris is kicked away toward the side of the road by car tires.
Yeah, I haven't measured, but they look to be really cloe in width to the 32mm Rubaix Pros. Definitely wider than 28mm.

I'm just now getting to the point I don't ride on the shoulder at all. I'm finding if you're off the road, cagers will fly by at the speed limit just inches away. If you stay in the right tire track of the lane, they move at least partially and usually all the way into the other lane and slow down. It's a win-win.

Whatever damaged the tire was on a new concrete residential street with no construction nearby. The puncture expanded when the tire was re-inflated. I'm glad I'd just picked up some of those Park tire boots, which you can see in the pic. I made it approximately 33 more miles. Without it, I don't think I would have made it too far.

-Matt

No bueno!
Old 10-15-18, 07:53 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Just switched the specialized tires that came on my Roubaix for GP 4000s...notable improvement in ride quality. I had planned on riding the Specialized tires down, but I got "lucky" and ran over a gigantic staple that destroyed one of them.
Old 10-15-18, 08:01 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Whatever damaged the tire was on a new concrete residential street with no construction nearby. The puncture expanded when the tire was re-inflated. I'm glad I'd just picked up some of those Park tire boots, which you can see in the pic. I made it approximately 33 more miles. Without it, I don't think I would have made it too far.

-Matt

No bueno!
I had a sidewall cut like that once from a sharp rock hidden among fallen leaves in the bike lane.
It was the first time I used the Park boots, and I didn't think it would hold, but it held and got me 6 miles home.
I was impressed!

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 10-15-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 08:08 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
I have years of experience with Gatorskin 28's on one bike, and 4000SII 25’s on another.

I never paid much attention to the complaints of the Gatorskins being hard riding.
But I got fed up with them skidding w/o warning on wet surfaces.
So I replaced them with Schwalbe One 28's.
On the first ride, I stopped twice in 30 miles to squeeze the rear tire, because I thought it was losing pressure.
They really rode that much softer than the Gatorskins!