Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sun CR18 for a Clydesdale (any suggestion for a good cheap sturdy wheelset)?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 07:43 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello all.
I have a bianchi san jose SS.
The bike will be used as a daily beater and a workhorse (courier work).
I also mess around on it, occasionaly jump a curb cut/long speedbump whlie going downhill, and try to take it into parks and trails whenever I find them.
I never do anything too crazy though, but I'll probably take it to some mellow dirt trails once I get more comfortable on the bike.

I'm somewhere between 200 and 225 pounds.

I need a new rear wheel!
Because this is a workhorse, I really like the thought of putting a CR-18 on a cartridge bearing formula that I have laying around.
Double walled, sturdy, fairly light, and cheap.

Do you guys think it will hold up fine and keep true under my weight and given the above conditions?
(I'm going for 32H).

I was considering the rhynolites, but they would he a whole freaking quarter pound heavier at the rear wheel.

I'm also looking for any other suggestions for rims if you guys have them.

I'm trying to find something between 30-50 per rim (Don't want to spend a lot on a workhorse/daily beater/commutercore).
I'm also open to used stuff, so if you guys know of the used value of some other rims lemme know plz.
(for example, h plus sons are juuuust outside the range i'd like, but I would be tempted if i found some used for 40).
I don't care thaaaat much about weight, but you really start to feel it after climbing hills for like 6-7 hours at a time (so deep v's or some crazy mtb rim would probably be out of the question).

I'm open to complete wheelsets, but I want to keep them on basic formula cartridge bearing hubs.
The wheelset would also have to cost less than putting new rims on existing hubs that I have (i'll take it to a shop to true them after I lace them which will be between 20-40 per rim probs).
Whatever I get definitely needs to be better than the loose ball boat anchors that come on almost all mid range single speed completes nowadays.

Any tips/suggestions?

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 09-16-18 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 08:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The CR-18 is a sturdy rim. I wouldn't anticipate any problems. Personally, I'd go for 36h or 40h rather than 32h, but if you already have the hub, give it a shot.
Old 09-16-18, 08:44 PM
BicycleBicycle

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The CR-18 is a sturdy rim. I wouldn't anticipate any problems. Personally, I'd go for 36h or 40h rather than 32h, but if you already have the hub, give it a shot.
I have 130mm spacing and my hubs are 120mm.
I'm open to getting a new wheel so that I have proper spacing as well.
Any other rim you would reccomend?(I'll consider the 36h).
Old 09-16-18, 08:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
I have 130mm spacing and my hubs are 120mm. I'm open to getting a new wheel so that I have proper spacing as well. Any other rim you would reccomend?(I'll consider the 36h).
In the budget you mention, the CR-18 has the best bang for the buck. And it's available in 32, 36 and 40 hole drilling. If you want to use your current 120mm OLD hub, a longer axle and some appropriate spacers may be all you need. Otherwise, there's a plethora of 130mm OLD hubs you could consider.
Old 09-16-18, 09:18 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts
One of my local shops that makes frames and whole bikes likes to use Weinmann ZAC 19 rims on their offerings. My wife and I both have their bikes and use those rims, and they seem durable. I’m a shrimp but my wife is an Athena, so the rims would be fine for you!
Old 09-17-18, 07:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
New Sun Assault Black Shimano 8-11sp DT Road Wheelset [740872] - $145.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

H Plus Son Archetype Wheelset Shimano 5800 105 Hubs 36h DT Comp [740954] - $219.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

A couple options for wheelsets, since thats what you asked about. The second set is inexpensive for what you get. 36h quality hubs, quality butted spokes, strong rims- you cant buy the components for what it costs to buy the built wheels.

Whatever you choose will almost certainly be machine built so you should have the wheels properly tensioned to ensure they stay true and strong.
Old 09-17-18, 07:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
CR-18 has a reputation for being a sturdy rim and it's 110 g lighter than Rhyno Lites. Honestly, I doubt you'll ever notice the weight difference but you have to draw the line somewhere. Also, my personal experience has been that Rhyno Lites are one of the more difficult rims to install tires on.

Do you already have a hub? 32 spokes will probably be adequate, but 36 spokes is more and therefore stronger. Going above 36 spokes hubs and rims become a little more difficult to source. If it was my bike, I'd definitely pick a Shimano hub. They are reliable, rebuildable and relatively cheap. Whatever hub and rim you choose, attention to detail during the build is more important to the ultimate strength of the wheel than anything else.
Old 09-17-18, 08:06 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Regardless of rim, you should strongly consider 36h. You’re not a racer, I promise you won’t notice any increase in weight going from 32 to 36. But you absolutely will notice a stronger, stiffer and over the long term much more reliable wheel. I’m right at 200lbs myself and I have hplusson tb14’s 4x laced 36 spoke wheels and they are probably the best wheels I’ve ever ridden. I don’t go easy on them either. 36 will absolutely make a difference and is absolutely worth it. You want reliability in everyday performance? You concerned about your weight and it’s effects on that reliability? Then heed the advice, do yourself both a practical and financial favour and build or buy a 36. A 32 might be perfectly fine for the front, but a 36 for the rear is a wise investment, and a 36 set front and rear will give you a wheelset you can rely on for decades if not longer.

Last edited by seamuis; 09-17-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 08:14 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

H Plus Son Archetype Wheelset Shimano 5800 105 Hubs 36h DT Comp [740954] - $219.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

A couple options for wheelsets, since thats what you asked about. The second set is inexpensive for what you get. 36h quality hubs, quality butted spokes, strong rims- you cant buy the components for what it costs to buy the built wheels.
I am running Son Archetypes and 36H, they are STOUT. I am 230ish, and I go off trail with them no problems.
Old 09-17-18, 08:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
I am running Son Archetypes and 36H, they are STOUT. I am 230ish, and I go off trail with them no problems.
good points- I should have mentioned in 230# and use mine for gravel riding. I dont trash the wheels at all, but they do get worked hard between my weight and the surface.
over 2 years and I don't know how many miles(a lot) and they still spin true. I repacked the bearings last mo th for the first time simce getting the wheels.
the 36h Archetype rim, butted spokes, and 105 hub is a really great combo for how i ride(and how the OP rides).
Old 09-17-18, 08:20 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
There are still some Weinmann concave rims out there. Very strong & durable vintage rim. Available in 700c or 27 x 1 1/4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Sto...YAAOSwMPxbmVcP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Con...YAAOSws-tbJvnI
Old 09-17-18, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I rode a CR-18 without problems from 280# down, and have had no problems with the rim. However, I wouldn't bet on it surviving "occasional" curb jumping (unless you mean successfully bunny hopping the curb and landing on a reasonably smooth surface cleanly).
Old 09-17-18, 01:56 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Bike and rider (me) and stuff I take with me probably weigh more than 250 lbs. I've been riding a rear wheel I built for over 2K miles without needing a true-up and a front wheel for over 700 miles. (It took me a looong time to build that front wheel.) Both are Campy NR hubs and CR-18 rims, 36H. I can't say I love the looks of the CR-18, but they work.
Old 09-18-18, 05:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I use cr18s on most of my builds. I go 36 hole 4 cross with double butted spokes. Couldn't be happier with them.
Old 09-18-18, 06:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Raced SSCX on 32h DP-18s for many seasons and now they're on my son's school commuter. Bombproof. Weinmann DP18 BLACK 32h fixed gear wheelset FORMULA HUBS Weinmann DP18 ALL BLACK fixed gear wheelset FORMULA HUBS [0072774715565] - $119.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 09-19-18, 10:25 PM
BicycleBicycle

I had a DP18 as a front wheel. It was very light and extremely stiff. (Also stayed relatively true over the few years I rode it).
My only gripe with that rim was that it was too thin. even 23c tires looked like balloons on them and they handled a little weird.
However, that is SO CHEAP that if they are strong I just might not care.
Old 09-19-18, 10:29 PM
BicycleBicycle

Originally Posted by seamuis
Regardless of rim, you should strongly consider 36h. You’re not a racer, I promise you won’t notice any increase in weight going from 32 to 36. But you absolutely will notice a stronger, stiffer and over the long term much more reliable wheel. I’m right at 200lbs myself and I have hplusson tb14’s 4x laced 36 spoke wheels and they are probably the best wheels I’ve ever ridden. I don’t go easy on them either. 36 will absolutely make a difference and is absolutely worth it. You want reliability in everyday performance? You concerned about your weight and it’s effects on that reliability? Then heed the advice, do yourself both a practical and financial favour and build or buy a 36. A 32 might be perfectly fine for the front, but a 36 for the rear is a wise investment, and a 36 set front and rear will give you a wheelset you can rely on for decades if not longer.
I agree that I probably wouldn't feel a 4 spoke difference.
However, I'm pretty sure I would feel the difference between a rhyno lite and a CR18.
On other bikes, I always seemed to notice HUGE differences between heavy/light rim changes. Thole whole bike just handled better and did not feel sluggish and weighted down.
I hate that feeling, and I would not like it on something that I am riding intensively for a minimum of 5-6 hours a day while climbing many hills.

I'll look into 36h though (first priority is now a 36h wheel) thanks.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 09-20-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 10:30 PM
BicycleBicycle

Originally Posted by onyerleft
32 spokes is the industry standard, even on the very largest of frames, which take the heaviest of riders. Sun CR18's are really stout, and OP's maximum weight of 225 lbs isn't that heavy by bicycle industry standards. A long-winded way of saying, go with 32 spokes. Also, I have always found it difficult to clean the hubs with 36 spoke wheels (can't get my hand inside the wheel). Obviously more spokes = more strength, but more than 32 spokes with these rims is approaching overkill. Just the opinion of a home mechanic with a TS-2 wheelstand and other fancy wheel building tools who has built well north of two dozen wheels.
Thanks, if I have to make a quick decision between 32 and 36h, and for whatever reason 32h has an advantage (I get a relaly good deal, or I can obtain it faster) i'll just go with the 32h.
However, i'll stick with 36h as a first choice becuase of my particular riding style (I throw fun in to the mix sometimes).

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 09-20-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 10:31 PM
BicycleBicycle

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
CR-18 has a reputation for being a sturdy rim and it's 110 g lighter than Rhyno Lites. Honestly, I doubt you'll ever notice the weight difference but you have to draw the line somewhere. Also, my personal experience has been that Rhyno Lites are one of the more difficult rims to install tires on.

Do you already have a hub? 32 spokes will probably be adequate, but 36 spokes is more and therefore stronger. Going above 36 spokes hubs and rims become a little more difficult to source. If it was my bike, I'd definitely pick a Shimano hub. They are reliable, rebuildable and relatively cheap. Whatever hub and rim you choose, attention to detail during the build is more important to the ultimate strength of the wheel than anything else.
Yeah I have a hub. I've noticed differences in rim weights before.
Heavy rims make my bike feel woody and sluggish and I absolutely hate that feeling.
Especially if i'm going to be riding intensively for 5-6 hours minimum.
Old 09-19-18, 10:34 PM
BicycleBicycle

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I rode a CR-18 without problems from 280# down, and have had no problems with the rim. However, I wouldn't bet on it surviving "occasional" curb jumping (unless you mean successfully bunny hopping the curb and landing on a reasonably smooth surface cleanly).
Yeah i'm basically going to be doing some throwback bmx once in a while.
Mostly just going through parks/ over roots.
maybe bomb the occasional steep hill and mtb trail in the park.
Mostly just light offroading in the parks around here probably.
Random nature areas I find around school, etc.
By curb jumping ij ust mean jumping off of those little curb cuts and treating them as ramps.
I might do slightly heavier things as I get more comfortable but i'll mostly just be commuting and using it for work.

I doubt i'll be jumping anything over 2-4 ft. tall but you never know.
Old 09-19-18, 10:37 PM
BicycleBicycle

It seems like the CR-18 is a solid choice from all the reivews I'm getting.
I didn't want to go with the rhynolite unless I had too (like if people told me that above 200lbs and with my basic riding style it was going to be a problem).
Most people are telling me that CR-18 is a solid choice.
I'm a little biased towards Suns because they had a good reputation back in the BMX days.

I guess i'll go with it if everything lines up right and I have enough money and i'm wililing to lace it.
If I see some H plus son archetypes (used) for cheap I might pick them up or I might just stick one on the rear (But those rims tend to look best as a pair, and they also mimic a tubular tire so it would probably handle weird with just one).
However, the CR18 has the same width as the HplusSon archetype and TB14, so I may get the same "tubular" effect with just the Sun rim.

Weinmann DP18 set if i'm in an extreme pinch or just feel like getting a new set of wheels and not giving a ****.
Will look into Sun Assaults and Weinman ZAC-19, but they don't seem to offer any distinct advantages over the CR18 (same price point, skinnier rim, and maybe weight +/- more/less).

Right now I'm just going to replace the back because if I don't i'm soon going to not have a running bike lol.
If i'm going to do it though I might as well find something that works well, fits my riding style, and something that I won't have to replace in 2-3 months.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 09-20-18 at 10:29 AM.