Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 04:40 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Rode easy 30 miles Saturday with a friend. Sunday went out with older group (age 62 to 73) going 17-18 for 40 miles. Pleased given off bike due to travel for most of past 3 weeks.

Yes 73 YO and recovering from broken hip so all in all very pleased.
When did you break your hip? I’m at 3 weeks for mine. Curious about Recovery.
Old 09-10-18, 04:51 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
That looks like a real nice ride up in a very nice part of the world (my family used to own a place in Woodbury, the town just to the west of Cabot). Good luck on your ride and please do give us a ride report afterwards.
The Cabot Ride the Ridges was fun and challenging. It’s a pretty relaxed event with not a lot of hoo ha. I’d guess there were about 75 folks in the 60K ride I was in. It was about 40 degrees at the start so I wore a pair of old stitched up Kuhl hiking pants. Definitely not stylin’. Beautiful day, though, and some great views from the ridges. When I’m riding on my own I stop to check things out, take photos, eat something, think deep thoughts, etc. but even in a non-competitive ride like this you get into the mindset that you’ll be damned if you’re gonna let more people pass you than is absolutely necessary. So other than stopping for a water refill I just kept going. Finished in 3:15 and according to the phone app I used, 4100 ft. of climbing.
Old 09-10-18, 09:25 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

When did you break your hip? I’m at 3 weeks for mine. Curious about Recovery.
Hi jppe

First, my break was of the neck or upper part of the femur. They inserted a titanium rod with screws towards top and bottom to secure the rod. Full healing takes about 10 months. That's when the bone grows around the rod.

If by healing you mean riding, I was riding an exercise bike after a week as it was recommended therapy. Did about two months of PT to regain range of motion and to build up the muscle as there was little activity for the the first 3-4 weeks. Getting out of bed was a challenge. Began riding on my trainer after six weeks and then slowly moved to the road when felt comfortable. My fall was in mid February 2017 and didn't get to 400+ miles per month until November. Got back on the road in May or three months after the fall.

jppe -- as you know we are all different. It's a very difficult problem for those not familiar with broken hip (as called). Literature said a 25% mortality rate for older people as need to keep moving to avoid blood clotting. Hope your docs gave you the pills to reduce clotting. Not all docs do.

Wish you well. It's a long haul but you can come back. Oh, after healing you may feel some pain in different parts of your injured leg. This is from high physical activity and requires a steroid shot to fix. I had one and will have another to fix the problem.

Let me know if you'd like to chat.

Best Wishes
Old 09-10-18, 03:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Hi jppe

First, my break was of the neck or upper part of the femur. They inserted a titanium rod with screws towards top and bottom to secure the rod. Full healing takes about 10 months. That's when the bone grows around the rod.

If by healing you mean riding, I was riding an exercise bike after a week as it was recommended therapy. Did about two months of PT to regain range of motion and to build up the muscle as there was little activity for the the first 3-4 weeks. Getting out of bed was a challenge. Began riding on my trainer after six weeks and then slowly moved to the road when felt comfortable. My fall was in mid February 2017 and didn't get to 400+ miles per month until November. Got back on the road in May or three months after the fall.

jppe -- as you know we are all different. It's a very difficult problem for those not familiar with broken hip (as called). Literature said a 25% mortality rate for older people as need to keep moving to avoid blood clotting. Hope your docs gave you the pills to reduce clotting. Not all docs do.

Wish you well. It's a long haul but you can come back. Oh, after healing you may feel some pain in different parts of your injured leg. This is from high physical activity and requires a steroid shot to fix. I had one and will have another to fix the problem.

Let me know if you'd like to chat.

Best Wishes
Excellent! I’m glad they were able to insert the rod and save the ball and socket. I broke the ball off the femur neck so I wound up with a total hip replacement. The upside is the leg was immediate weight bearing. The downside is immediate but short term restrictions on range of motion. My surgeon will let me on a stationary bike at 6 weeks. I’m not sure when I’ll feel strong enough and comfortable to get back on the road. Thanks for the tip on the steroid injection. We’ll see how things go when the miles increase.
Old 09-11-18, 09:22 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Hi again jppe -- glad I told you of my break as our are two different animals. Hoping hip replacement better and quicker recovery than mine.

For all readers, the key here is as we age -- and that means over 60 -- most of us get osteoperosis. I had it and didn't know it. While I had a hard fall off my bike, the break came right where my leg was the weakest as it turned out.

Word to all -- if you are over 60/65, please, please do a bone scan to test for osteoperosis. If you have it like most of us do, there are meds that can avoid further bone weakening and even strengthen the bones somewhat. The scan is painless and doing it may avoid a broken bone when you eventually fall which we all seem to do as sure as we break eggs to make an omelet.

jppe -- the steroid thing may not apply to a hip replacement. I replaced my right knee 14 years ago before started riding so not sure this phenomenon occurs with replacements. You will start riding when you are comfortable doing so (duh). Having a partner willing to go slow is the best way. Slow is the fastest speed you are comfortable riding. I did this for several months building up my confidence, comfort and strength including heart/lung and legs again. Seems to take at least twice as long to get back as you are off the bike. As long as you have your balance you can do it.

Let us know how its going please.
Old 09-15-18, 09:03 AM
Musket104

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
New guy here. Will be 71 this year. Been lurking on this thread for a while now. Lots of good, relevant info here. I get out 2-3 times a week & trainer bike @ the gym.
Old 09-16-18, 07:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Does a red racy bike REALLY make us oldsters faster.
British Racing Red
Not betting on being any faster.
Maybe I have to go for pizazz.

Old 09-17-18, 07:32 AM
Fastbikeman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice. First I just turned 74 last week. That said I am now finding it challenging to get my leg over the saddle of my Cannondale Touring 2 bike so I am looking for options. I thought about putting smaller rims on however then the brakes could be a problem plus the cost just not might make it economical So I was thinking of purchasing a folding bike for a couple of reasons. First transportability (we enjoy camping and my bike rack just broke) second I thought they would be easier to step over. I am not sure of the size to get however I do like to ride ten to 15 miles mostly on flat surface.
I am willing to spend up to 1000 dollars but not sure of what to buy or how to fit one to my size. I am about 5' 7" and 230. Unfortunately I am unable to find a dealer around where I live to even test ride one.
So any suggestions on brand and model will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-17-18, 03:03 PM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastbikeman
I am willing to spend up to 1000 dollars but not sure of what to buy or how to fit one to my size. I am about 5' 7" and 230. Unfortunately I am unable to find a dealer around where I live to even test ride one.
So any suggestions on brand and model will be greatly appreciated
You might try posting this on the folding bike forum. Good luck!
Old 09-17-18, 03:27 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
What size is your C'dale?
Old 09-17-18, 05:01 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastbikeman
Looking for advice. First I just turned 74 last week. That said I am now finding it challenging to get my leg over the saddle of my Cannondale Touring 2 bike so I am looking for options.
Do you lean the bike toward you when throwing your leg over the bike?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-17-18, 05:08 PM
Fastbikeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Do you lean the bike toward you when throwing your leg over the bike?
Yes
Old 09-17-18, 05:09 PM
Fastbikeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

You might try posting this on the folding bike forum. Good luck!
I have however I have not received any responses
Old 09-18-18, 08:39 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

The Cabot Ride the Ridges was fun and challenging. It’s a pretty relaxed event with not a lot of hoo ha. I’d guess there were about 75 folks in the 60K ride I was in. It was about 40 degrees at the start so I wore a pair of old stitched up Kuhl hiking pants. Definitely not stylin’. Beautiful day, though, and some great views from the ridges. When I’m riding on my own I stop to check things out, take photos, eat something, think deep thoughts, etc. but even in a non-competitive ride like this you get into the mindset that you’ll be damned if you’re gonna let more people pass you than is absolutely necessary. So other than stopping for a water refill I just kept going. Finished in 3:15 and according to the phone app I used, 4100 ft. of climbing.
Thanks much for the report!
Old 09-22-18, 09:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Does a red racy bike REALLY make us oldsters faster.
British Racing Red
Not betting on being any faster.
Maybe I have to go for pizazz.

update = pics of 1st final build.
Didn’t get the brakes I wanted to mount so substituted Modolo.

Been riding with 3 guys who are younger by 14 -19 years. I am pleased to be able to stay with them for 40-50 mile rides, has been a good season for riding strong
Old 09-23-18, 10:27 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
I'm planning for the future and considering a mixed frame with drop bars for that condition. But at only 68 I'm feeling guilty for whining about sore wrists after a recent high speed nasty crash just before reading the posts about broken hips!
Old 09-24-18, 11:52 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
welcome, lots of good info at this site
Old 09-24-18, 11:56 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 74 and what I do is to lay my bike over towards me, and put my leg across the bike then straighten it , not sure if that would work for you, give it a try
Old 09-24-18, 03:47 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Well the "B n B" closed Saturday after our out-of-town friends left. They arrived Tuesday and after 3-1/2 days of entertaining, listening to their "stories", eating out, etc. we were totally whipped. After they drove away we spent all day Saturday in our recliners watching old movies and napping. We were somewhat recovered yesterday so this morning I headed out to ride. Took the Lynskey and did my usual Withlacoochee Trail ride. I was tired when I got home and am still feeling it. I guess entertaining out-of-town friends at our age (I'm 73, coming up on 74) is too tiring. The bad news is they're coming back in a few weeks because the house they are building (a mere 28 miles from us) will be finished and they want to stay here while they close on the house, clean the place and move their furniture in. I hope I'll have my energy back for my next ride in a day or so.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-02-18, 08:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

The thing about having guests our age (only 68 here) that bugs me = all the sitting and talking.
Like.... that's supposed to be fun? (after a few hours of catching up)
And being the youngest sibling, brothers & sis seem like ancient slugs.
Maybe it's me, i'm just an out-of-doors, go experience it, type of personality.

Oh well, to stay younger and feel younger I think a person needs younger friends - and for me that usually means cyclists/hikers in their 50s.

But looking at the 'problem' positively = I'm glad to be different, happy to be physically active, and lucky to not have serious ailments.
Old 10-03-18, 09:02 AM
Miami Biker

Jppe. How are you doing?
Old 10-03-18, 10:33 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Jppe. How are you doing?
I’m doing pretty good thank you!!

I walked 5-6 miles Monday watching my golf buddies play. Yesterday I chipped and putted then walked another 9 holes with them. This morning I rode the exercise bike for a while. 100 milers seemed routine 2 months ago. But my cardio has already slipped to parts unknown!!Just 2 more months before golf and cycling....

I was was a little bummed this weekend as the week long cycling tour across NC started on Sunday. I had registered for it but I was unable to ride. They also wouldn’t refund any of my fees nor transfer them to next year’s ride. I was pretty disappointed in the decision especially since they hadn’t already committed numbers to the food vendors or bus lines. It’s the only activity that we’ve had to cancel due to my hip replacement where folks wouldn’t work with us. We were even able to get dollars refunded for a cruise we’d booked. Plus a rental company let us have a beach house we’d rented the week after the accident at a later date.

My my neighbor and I rented a heavy walk behind aerator and redid our lawns last week. I really worked out my hip using the aerator then spreading grass seed, fertilizer and insecticide across the lawn. I got in a tight spot with the aerator and had to lift one end and turn it around. There was a slight twinge in my groin but fortunately nothing major?!?!

For me the most challenging part is just dealing with all this “extra free time” I now have.

Enough about me. How about yourself?

Old 10-03-18, 10:54 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

I’m doing pretty good thank you!!

I walked 5-6 miles Monday watching my golf buddies play. Yesterday I chipped and putted then walked another 9 holes with them. This morning I rode the exercise bike for a while. 100 milers seemed routine 2 months ago. But my cardio has already slipped to parts unknown!!Just 2 more months before golf and cycling....

I was was a little bummed this weekend as the week long cycling tour across NC started on Sunday. I had registered for it but I was unable to ride. They also wouldn’t refund any of my fees nor transfer them to next year’s ride. I was pretty disappointed in the decision especially since they hadn’t already committed numbers to the food vendors or bus lines. It’s the only activity that we’ve had to cancel due to my hip replacement where folks wouldn’t work with us. We were even able to get dollars refunded for a cruise we’d booked. Plus a rental company let us have a beach house we’d rented the week after the accident at a later date.

My my neighbor and I rented a heavy walk behind aerator and redid our lawns last week. I really worked out my hip using the aerator then spreading grass seed, fertilizer and insecticide across the lawn. I got in a tight spot with the aerator and had to lift one end and turn it around. There was a slight twinge in my groin but fortunately nothing major?!?!

For me the most challenging part is just dealing with all this “extra free time” I now have.

Enough about me. How about .
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. While it may be frustrating not being able to ride, your short game will become outstanding. Stay well!
Old 10-03-18, 11:53 AM
Miami Biker

Wow jppe. I’m so impressed. You are a poster child for our generation. Seems like the hip replacement a big success in many ways.

Four of us fell on some wet ash four weeks ago. Like black ice. Hit it and down we went. My friend broke a collar bone and has some bruised ribs. He turned 71 today and still four weeks from riding. I bruised my thigh and ribs. Just enough to slow me down but no lost time, just slower for a while

Two Saturday’s ago rode a slow 50 miles and this past Sunday did 40 Miles at a 17 MPH steady pace. So getting back.

Trying to get another steroid shot in lower back/hip are for bursitis which hope to do in a week to 10days. Then should be pain free.

No complaints, heck I’m riding and can do stretches over 21 so given my age quite pleased.

All the best to you. Doesn’t seem like anything can keep you down!
Old 10-05-18, 05:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Thought today about how much 'retired' or 'working' influences our perceptions.
Spinning my Wheels = used to be a bad thing at work. Now it’s mostly what I do for fun.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-05-18 at 11:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.