Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need New Rims

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Need New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 02:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Need New Rims

After 8 seasons of touring and commuting/errands, the Alex Adventurer rims of my inferior steel Surly LHT need replacing. Any suggestions for approximate replacements, or even something better? 700c. 36h, of course. Widest tire I can envision is a true 37c. Maybe 40c if I get crazy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-18, 03:43 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Velocity Dyads that I put on my Backroad.

But, if your spokes are in good enough shape to last another eight years, if you go with the same exact rim that you are replacing, you could transfer over the spokes to a new rim. Tape teh new rim to the old, making sure that the valve hole is next to the hole on the other rim. Then, transfer the spokes over from one rim to the other. I find it is easier if iI loosen ever spoke first by about one to two nipple rotations.

This of course only works if the rim ERD is the same, that is why I said the same exact rim is used.

I am not sure if you are going to take this shortcut, so I am overly concise in my description here.
Old 09-17-18, 07:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Take a look at Velo Mine. I did a search on "36 hole" and it looks like they have some good deals.

Search Results Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 09-17-18, 08:51 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
i've had good luck with alex DH19

eyelets, braking surface, 18mm width
i use with 700*45 and 26*1.95

DH19 | Alexrims

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-17-18 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 09:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Velomine built my wheel wrong (without interlacing) on one side, so I had to get it rebuilt.

I've been very pleased with HED Belgium Plus rims. Mine are "only" 28 and 32, but they are very solid.

Take a look at https://novemberbicycles.com They have many good options.
Old 09-18-18, 06:04 AM
indyfabz

I am not worried about getting a great deal from some place on line that I might have trouble holding accountable if something is not right. The wheels will be built from the ground up by a LBS, with new spokes and new hubs. (The rear hub is pitted.) The wheel are for touring, so I have no interest in low spoke counts.
Old 09-18-18, 06:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
After 8 seasons of touring and commuting/errands, the Alex Adventurer rims of my inferior steel Surly LHT need replacing. Any suggestions for approximate replacements, or even something better? 700c. 36h, of course. Widest tire I can envision is a true 37c. Maybe 40c if I get crazy.

Thanks in advance.
I’d suggest Velocity A23. It’s the only rim in the Velocity line that has asymmetrical drilling which significantly reduces the tension difference in a dished wheel. Add in DT Swiss Alpine III (now available by the each from QBP) and you’ll have a damned fine wheel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-18-18, 06:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cyccommute

I’d suggest Velocity A23. It’s the only rim in the Velocity line that has asymmetrical drilling which significantly reduces the tension difference in a dished wheel. Add in DT Swiss Alpine III (now available by the each from QBP) and you’ll have a damned fine wheel.
Thanks. I will be visiting the shop tomorrow to discuss the build and will mention that configuration.
Old 09-18-18, 08:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Thanks. I will be visiting the shop tomorrow to discuss the build and will mention that configuration.
Tell us what you decide, you have been touring for enough years that you probably have some good opinions. I for one would be interested to hear what rims, spokes, spoke nipples and hubs you choose.
Old 09-18-18, 08:41 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Rhynolite seem pretty good for a cheaper rim, much nicer to build with than Adventurers, nice and round out of the box... nicely machined brake track too.
Old 09-18-18, 09:08 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The reason I recommend November is that they will build whatever it is you require (as long as it is structurally sound) with the best parts available, and will personally stand behind everything they produce. They (I think it is 2 people) have earned an exceptional reputation for quality and customer service. (Their prices are competitive, but by no means are inexpensive.) They are basically the wheel analogue to a high-quality independent frame builder (but with much better turn-around time).

My other HED Belgium + wheelset was built buy Chris King. These guys stand behind their product well above and beyond the call of duty. I broke a spoke when my wife's bike fell on mine (i.e., it was no fault of Chris King). Then another spoke broke, and the LBS wanted to charge a bundle to rebuild it. CK not only did it for free (out of warranty), but paid shipping both directions. It was an expensive wheelset ($1100), but you get what you pay for.

I got a somewhat less expensive wheelset ($750) from Velomine. They decided to build the rear wheel in such a way that the spokes were not interlaced where they crossed on the non-drive-side, and they all started spontaneously coming loose. Their response was in essence "we like to do it that way with White Industries hubs, it sucks to be you." I had a LBS rebuild it with conventional lacing and it is now fine. I would not recommend buying hand-built wheels from them. These were also high-spoke count. The quality of the build (and the parts) is even more important than the spoke count.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-18-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 10:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Here's what turned me off to A23's when I was looking at having wheels built.

"Tight tolerances require the use of a low profile rim tape like Velotape to avoid tire installation issues. Veloplugs are not recommended on A23 or A23 OC rims."

To me that spells fighting tires onto and off of the rims when I flat.
Old 09-18-18, 12:40 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I just bought a 26” Rhyno Lite with Deore hub and straight gauge spokes as a replacement rear wheel. Not the lightest thing, but at $72 from Performance, plus the 10% points, you’d be hard pressed to find a better deal. They even had it in stock. I think the 700C is little more, but still a great deal for a good wheel.
Old 09-18-18, 01:08 PM
alan s 

Nashbar has the wheelset in 700C for $115.
Old 09-18-18, 09:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here's what turned me off to A23's when I was looking at having wheels built.

"Tight tolerances require the use of a low profile rim tape like Velotape to avoid tire installation issues. Veloplugs are not recommended on A23 or A23 OC rims."

To me that spells fighting tires onto and off of the rims when I flat.
I think the Velotape comment is aimed more at the tubeless ready side. I use regular Velox tape (and rather wide, for that matter) tire removal and installation has never been a problem. I have used a number of different brands of tires without issues.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-19-18, 03:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I am not worried about getting a great deal from some place on line that I might have trouble holding accountable if something is not right. The wheels will be built from the ground up by a LBS, with new spokes and new hubs. (The rear hub is pitted.) The wheel are for touring, so I have no interest in low spoke counts.
Deore Rear Hub, DT Alpine III spokes, Rhynolites. Bullet Proof AND cheap. While you are at it get a SP dynamo hub from Bike-components https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...mo-Hub-p42181/ and an Axa Pico front light https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ax...-Light-p41840/ plus an Axa rear light https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ax...assung-p41844/
The Pico throws out way more light than you'd expect for the money and so far mine seems very durable.

Last edited by Trevtassie; 09-19-18 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 05:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by cyccommute

I think the Velotape comment is aimed more at the tubeless ready side. I use regular Velox tape (and rather wide, for that matter) tire removal and installation has never been a problem. I have used a number of different brands of tires without issues.
I wish I had known that. I would have ordered some.
Old 09-19-18, 07:52 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I wish I had known that. I would have ordered some.
I’ve switched to Stans yellow tape for all my wheels. Made for tubeless setups, but I use it for both tubes and tubeless. Costs more initially, but the stuff works great and seems to last forever.
Old 09-19-18, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Lots of interesting options listed so far- from boutique built wheels to bottom of the barrel discount website wheels.

H_Son Archetype rims. 36h. They are consistently round to begin with(which is nice) so they build up easily. medium depth gives good strength but not so stiff that they are absurd(unlike DeepV for example). Good weight(not the lightest or heaviest). Good width for your tire size at 17.5 internal and 23mm
external.
They are mid-priced too.

Comes in black, silver, or hard anodized gray.
Old 09-19-18, 10:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Velomine built my wheel wrong (without interlacing) on one side, so I had to get it rebuilt.
You ordered handbuilt wheels by velomine and they didnt lace em correctly? Tough to imagine.

Or did you order some machine built wheels that they receive in box and ship out to customers? Again- tough to imagine an entire side of the wheel wasnt laced, but if they were prebuilts then its also tough to blame velomine for the error.
Old 09-19-18, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Thanks. As noted, I am not going to be ordering a pre-built set on line. This is a bike I try use most days, weather permitting. Even if it weren't I don't want the hassle associated with return shipping and being without wheels when my LBS is a 10 min. walk from my house and will give me next-day, if not same-day, service in the event of a problem. And no desire for anything dyno. My rechargeable lights are sufficient for the night riding I do, and I don't tour with electronic gadgets that I cannot easily keep charged using available outlets.

Definitely sold on the DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. Hubs will likely be Deore XT. Will be stopping by the shop today to talk rims. Looking at the Rhyno, Velocity A23 and Mavic A719, although I hold a grudge against Mavic because of bad customer service issues several years back. Talk about thumbing their noses at consumers.
Old 09-19-18, 12:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You ordered handbuilt wheels by velomine and they didnt lace em correctly? Tough to imagine.

Or did you order some machine built wheels that they receive in box and ship out to customers? Again- tough to imagine an entire side of the wheel wasnt laced, but if they were prebuilts then its also tough to blame velomine for the error.
It was one of their hand-build to order wheelsets. They built it like that purposefully. They told me when I asked. They said it lessened the likelihood of the spokes breaking with a white industry hub. (I have WI hubs on another wheelset that has no such issues.) I have a thread on it somewhere here. I will try to find it ...

Here we go: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ing-loose.html Photo on Page 2.

Probably should discuss this on that one rather than hijack this.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-19-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
M'k,

have wide tires on a Sun CR 18, a pretty economical, bang for the buck rim..

touring , Shimano hubs will be serviable anywhere ..

Distributor built wheels are Spares here , trash a rim on a boutique hub wheel

the custom repair build will take a some time , in busiest season..

have to stay here, eat in restaurants, drink craft beers, hotel for a while..
Hardly suffering..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-19-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 01:57 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
M'k,

have wide tires on a Sun CR 18, a pretty economical, bang for the buck rim..
Prices of CR18 and M13II rims seem to be creeping up since the apparent demise of Niagara, who always seemed to have the best prices.

Bought a couple Rhyno Lite 700C rims from Treefort not too long ago and just checked and you can still get them for $26 and their service is much better than Niagara ever was and their shipping charges are reasonable. The Rhynos seem to be rounder than the CR18s and easier to build, but maybe I just had a good day.
Old 09-19-18, 01:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Niagra did not make the rims..
Distributors buy from manufacturers and supply retailers..like them.

Exceptions Walmart, but they don't supply quality bike parts..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-19-18 at 02:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.