Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do so many road rides favor flatter routes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 08:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

I don't live near mountains, so let's get that out there. There is no climbing, there are hills from 1 minute to 4 minutes to get up.

But I can still make local routes up consisting of about 100 feet per mile without repeats. Doing loops, lollypops, and the like. Routes with decent "flow".

I find the local group rides really don't like routes over about 50 feet per mile. And, 50 feet per mile is usually pushing it already. Once out of town you're looking more at like 30 to 35 feet per mile.

I just find it tougher to find interest when elevation is involved.

-Is it because flatter routes keep people together better ?

-You avoid a lot of gaps and regrouping?

-You can take turns fighting the wind but you can't hide anyone from a hill?

-The group average speed will make the A-group look like a C-group?

I just find hills an integral part of cycling but feel like I'm in the minority in my area for how much elevation in a ride I feel "makes a ride".

I'd really like to see some 3 to 4 minute hills on the rides. Not make it all you do, but toss in a pair. Just something of beauty about having to pace hills with a group. Watching a few people go off the front, watch a few fall back. Everyone battling their way up. In the saddle spinning, seeing some folks out of saddle with bike swaying back and forth.

3 to 4 minute hills are pitiful compared to the 20 minute and longer climbs folks in the mountains do. I don't feel like 3 to 4 minute hills are THAT bad.
Old 09-19-18, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
It must be the company you keep. I ride with plenty of people who don't prefer flat routes.
Old 09-19-18, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
First of all, where I'm from 20 minutes isn't a climb. That's a brief hill. Because I can head east from my door and climb 5,000ft essentially without going downhill. It's uphill without breaks for 20 miles.

That said, my annual average ft/mi? About 35. And I do 400,000ft a year. If you wanna go slug hills, go slug hills. Lots of group rides (at least locally) seem to be a group because they wanna go fast. Climbing isn't fast.

And as you mentioned, group rides have a tough time on hills unless everyone is of the same fitness level-- lots of regrouping even if the "climbs" are a few minutes long. If the routes are in that 30-40ft/mi avg, the 130lb guys and the 200lb guys can ride together.

Small guys can take advantage of the draft from the big guys on the flats-- little guys are zero help to big guys going up hills.
Old 09-19-18, 08:36 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A few reasons really:
a. hills hurt
b. many get nose bleeds at elevation.
c. some are afraid of heights.
d. some don't have enough talent to descent with rim brakes and they haven't made it to the bike shop to buy a bike with 4 piston Brembos.
Old 09-19-18, 08:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
That's what I figured I guess.

Also, I never considered slugging hills is probably a lonely affair anyway. No matter how you shake it, even really minor differences in ascent speed means you're not together.

Just gotta be comfortable hitting them up solo.
Old 09-19-18, 08:45 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
You can't go 10 miles without a climb in Utah
Old 09-19-18, 08:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Cool story.
Old 09-19-18, 08:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I would guess it has to do with speed and the paceline/pack mentality. People like to go fast. That means flat routes. Lots of climbing can be going nowhere slow. Think about the routes you are doing now. Cut the gearing on your bike so that you can only go half the speed you are going now. Would they be just as fun? Now cut that gearing/speed in half again. Are the routes and riding them just as fun? Probably not. Same for a drive. Think about a 2 to 5 hour drive that you like. Is that drive going to be just as enjoyable if you are going half the speed and it takes twice as long.
Old 09-19-18, 08:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Sojodave
You can't go 10 miles without a climb in Utah
Well, that all depends on what you call a "climb." I am a master of hill avoidance. There's nothing really flat in this part of SoCal-- but I can find the sorta flat parts. Flat by SoCal standards. I could find flat Utah.
Old 09-19-18, 08:55 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

-Is it because flatter routes keep people together better ?

-You avoid a lot of gaps and regrouping?

-You can take turns fighting the wind but you can't hide anyone from a hill?
Yes, yes, and yes. Groups work on flat ground because drafting allows riders of varying weights/fitness levels to stay together as it's sooo much easier to sit in the back of a group going fast on the flat than it is to climb, because you can't hide and big dudes are going to get dropped no matter how much power they can put out. I agree with you, FWIW. I like riding uphill even though I'm terrible at it. I just make sure I do my hilly rides solo or with someone who is as close to my fitness level as I can find.
Old 09-19-18, 08:55 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
group rides have a tough time on hills unless everyone is of the same fitness level-- lots of regrouping even if the "climbs" are a few minutes long. If the routes are in that 30-40ft/mi avg, the 130lb guys and the 200lb guys can ride together.
Small guys can take advantage of the draft from the big guys on the flats-- little guys are zero help to big guys going up hills.
^^^This.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Cool story.
You forgot to add "bro"
Old 09-19-18, 09:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Because the group you ride with are "basic bros".
Old 09-19-18, 09:09 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
It'd be nice to have a 20 mile 5000 foot climb around here. Those kind of long mild grades don't seem to exist in this part of the US.
Old 09-19-18, 09:12 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
It'd be nice to have a 20 mile 5000 foot climb around here. Those kind of long mild grades don't seem to exist in this part of the US.
Now see folks, that is the level of quality BS-talking that keeps me coming back to this place. Chapeau.
Old 09-19-18, 09:14 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Group rides in my neck of the woods (that don't have fixed routes) are determined by which direction the wind is blowing. We don't have anything that someone from Cali or Colorado would even consider a climb, just endless rollers, but we have lots and lots of wind, which can cause its own set of problems in a group ride. However, the group ride tends to stick together because no one wants to be alone in the wind.

I was somewhat surprised when a transplant from back east told me that he had never even considered the wind direction as a factor in route choice before moving to Kansas. So I guess in places with hills and trees to block the wind, such as North Carolina, maybe it's not an issue.

So my answer to the OP question is that it depends on where you're riding, and who you're riding with.
Old 09-19-18, 09:14 AM
Spoonrobot 

I thought it might have been to subtle but I guess not
Old 09-19-18, 09:18 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Now see folks, that is the level of quality BS-talking that keeps me coming back to this place. Chapeau.
+1. Dude needs to do himself a 2 hour slog at 5-10 mph and report back on what a blast he had. Descending back down, that is where the fun is.
Old 09-19-18, 09:36 AM
Spoonrobot 

Oh I do lots of climbing, but I was serious in that we don't have any climbs that long or high here in my area of the southeast. Longest climbs I've done has been around an hour but they're gravel or dirt. When I was younger I really liked the longer paved climbs but after getting a bit more experience off road, they're just a little boring for me, especially the descents.
Old 09-19-18, 09:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
... and big dudes are going to get dropped no matter how much power they can put out.
I resent resemble that remark.
Old 09-19-18, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I don't live near mountains, so let's get that out there. There is no climbing, there are hills from 1 minute to 4 minutes to get up.
But I can still make local routes up consisting of about 100 feet per mile without repeats. Doing loops, lollypops, and the like. Routes with decent "flow".
I find the local group rides really don't like routes over about 50 feet per mile. And, 50 feet per mile is usually pushing it already. Once out of town you're looking more at like 30 to 35 feet per mile.
1- suggest routes to your local club. Then listen to feedback and adjust if needed.
2- 50' of climb per mile is about what I average here in Iowa and there is plenty of hill climbing and descending. Some routes are 55, some are 45. Its a pretty good general amount for groups because there are climbs that will still separate everyone, but not frequent enough that the separation is permanent.

Good luck on the 100' routes.
Old 09-19-18, 10:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Most of my riding is long commuting, so hills just kind of get in the way. Generally, I neither specifically avoid them, nor go out of my way to find them, unless I am towing cargo, in which case I may choose a flatter route.

However, the local riding group divides so every Tuesday is their "Hill Day". Other days are faster flatter days. But, Tuesdays, expect a fair amount of climbing. Nothing insane, but a good climbing day.
Old 09-19-18, 10:30 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Hah, just out of curiosity...I looked up the highest and lowest point in my county. 950' and 580', 40 miles apart. So 370' of climbing over 40 miles, or 9.5'/mile is about the max I could expect around here, short of doing highway overpass repeats
Old 09-19-18, 11:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You gotta up your group ride game. Start riding with a faster group and the route won't matter as much.
Old 09-19-18, 11:26 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I live up against mountains. I would probably give up road cycling if I lived somewhere flat. Too boring and no work out for me if I'm just spinning along in flats
Old 09-19-18, 11:30 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I live up against mountains. I would probably give up road cycling if I lived somewhere flat. Too boring and no work out for me if I'm just spinning along in flats
So, the idea of a hill is completely foreign to me. Why does everybody say hills are hard...flats are easy? I mean, you know you can pedal harder on flat ground anytime you want, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.