Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 04-16-15, 01:47 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Official Trek FX Thread

I have noticed that the Trek DS folks have their own thread but FX threads are spread out all over the place. Post up pics, hints, questions, tips, news, rumors!
Likes For swoodjr1:
Old 04-16-15, 02:49 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I ride a 2011 7.3 FX (size Large) I bought used a little over a year ago. A few mods I have done

1) Wheel set is Velocity Chukker rims with Deore hubs, 36 spokes 3x.

2) Tires are Clement X'Plor USH (35 mm, 60 tpi version)

3) Pedals are Diamondback

4) Rack installed

5) Saddle is a Selle SMP TRK

6) Ergon grips

7) Crank set swapped... same Shimano model, but shorter arms (170) and lower gearing to make it easier on my knees, and help me climb better.

It is my primary rider, and I will start commuting on it any time now...

I will be moving back to the stock wheels when I get the engine down to a more reasonable weight.

I'll post pics when I take some.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Likes For Little Darwin:
Old 04-16-15, 07:08 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
I have noticed that the Trek DS folks have their own thread but FX threads are spread out all over the place. Post up pics, hints, questions, tips, news, rumors!
Great idea! Here is something to start with...Bontrager makes a Race Lite handlebar. Is this a decent bar for use with the FX? Is it worthwhile replacing the ISOZONE BAR?
Old 04-17-15, 03:56 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I physically picked up a 2015 7.4 FX size 17" at a Trek dealer a few days ago to see how heavily it was and I was shocked at how light it was.

From putting together bits and pieces of what I've read, I suspect it was probably around 23 pounds, and if so, I struggle to imagine how light a 16 pound bike would feel.

If anyone has actual weights of their FX, I'd be keen to see them posted in this thread.
Old 04-17-15, 03:58 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by yashinon
Great idea! Here is something to start with...Bontrager makes a Race Lite handlebar. Is this a decent bar for use with the FX? Is it worthwhile replacing the ISOZONE BAR?
Why do you want to replace your existing handlebars?

Of course if you do, you can choose brands besides Bontrager.
Old 04-17-15, 04:28 AM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I physically picked up a 2015 7.4 FX size 17" at a Trek dealer a few days ago to see how heavily it was and I was shocked at how light it was.

From putting together bits and pieces of what I've read, I suspect it was probably around 23 pounds, and if so, I struggle to imagine how light a 16 pound bike would feel.

If anyone has actual weights of their FX, I'd be keen to see them posted in this thread.
I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale. The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.

My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).
Old 04-17-15, 04:49 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by marimorimo
I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale.
A review I read of the 2014 7.4 FX Disc model, said it was 25 pounds, so once you take away the weight for the disc brakes and the non-carbon fork, I figured it would be close to 23 pounds.
Old 04-17-15, 06:00 AM
yashinon

I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale. The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.

My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).
I think Trek should have added a lighter handlebar. The ISOZONE is rather chincy IMO. I am interested in learning about the cranks.
Old 04-17-15, 09:02 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you still have the original crank, you might be able to just swap the rings (assuming the new crank has the same bot pattern). I may go back to the higher gearing as I lose weight myself, which is part of the reason I went with the same model crank. However, if you don't have the old rings, it is generally just as expensive to replace 3 rings as it is to get a brand new crank with the rings that you want.. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-17-15, 09:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.
If you lock your Bike Up to something all the time that may Be OK, If not and still need the bike to stay Up on its own occasionally, Swiss Made:

Pletscher ESGE Center Zoom Adjustable Kickstand is lighter than the Greenfield solid rod leg type (and you can make it longer or shorter, the base bolts to the strut)

Usual search gets Lots of sellers > Here is the maker https://www.pletscher.ch/produkte/standard/mittelstutzen

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-15 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 09:52 AM
nick779

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im excited, ill be picking up a trailer hitch, platform style rack, and a new Trek 7.2 FX shortly along with all associated starter stuff.

I was debating between the 7.2fx and the Giant Escape 2, but im leaning towards the Trek.
Old 04-18-15, 12:02 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

If you still have the original crank, you might be able to just swap the rings (assuming the new crank has the same bot pattern). I may go back to the higher gearing as I lose weight myself, which is part of the reason I went with the same model crank. However, if you don't have the old rings, it is generally just as expensive to replace 3 rings as it is to get a brand new crank with the rings that you want.. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case.
Your other option would be to get a new rear cassette with smaller gears -- that would get your gear ratios back to where they were before, and cassettes tend to be cheaper than crank rings.
Likes For mcmoose:
Old 04-18-15, 12:08 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
^^^Okay, I withdraw my suggestion... if your rear sprocket has an 11-tooth small ring, you can't go lower than that.
Old 04-18-15, 08:53 AM
dscobbie

Bikes: Trek 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a new Trek 7.2 FX in the fast color (Red) LOL. I am 69 and 260 lbs. trying to get into shape somewhat. Longest singe ride is a little over 8 miles. This is much better to ride than the neighbor's Schwinn MTB I was borrowing.
Old 04-18-15, 09:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by dscobbie
I just bought a new Trek 7.2 FX in the fast color (Red) LOL. I am 69 and 260 lbs. trying to get into shape somewhat. Longest singe ride is a little over 8 miles. This is much better to ride than the neighbor's Schwinn MTB I was borrowing.
Welcome to the club. Keep us updated on your progress. Keep riding!
Old 04-18-15, 04:32 PM
Kestrel367

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Trek FX 7.5 in March, changed pedals to Shimano 530.

Rode when young had a Motobecane hybrid when going to college then bought a Trek cross bike after I wrecked the Motobecane on too many trail rides. Left that behind on one of my many moves.

50+ and hoping to ride some again. My first outing was 19 miles and very enjoyable.
Old 04-18-15, 06:38 PM
cncspinner

Bikes: 2012 specialized hard rock, 2014 trek 7.3,2015 trek 1.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 7.3 last December, love the bike. I was surprised when I bought a new set of ergo grips with bar ends only to discover the funky iso zone handle bar. Quick trip back to the store and some adaptors and barends fixed the problem and I got to keep using the stock grips
Old 04-18-15, 06:39 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by fietsbob
If you lock your Bike Up to something all the time that may Be OK, If not and still need the bike to stay Up on its own occasionally, Swiss Made:

Pletscher ESGE Center Zoom Adjustable Kickstand is lighter than the Greenfield solid rod leg type (and you can make it longer or shorter, the base bolts to the strut)

Usual search gets Lots of sellers > Here is the maker Pletscher
Thanks for the heads up on that Kickstand.
Old 04-18-15, 06:41 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by cncspinner
I bought a 7.3 last December, love the bike. I was surprised when I bought a new set of ergo grips with bar ends only to discover the funky iso zone handle bar. Quick trip back to the store and some adaptors and barends fixed the problem and I got to keep using the stock grips
You could have used Teflon tape to mount the Ergon grips. Works well on the ISOZONE handlebar, however i do agree it is funky. Not impressed!
Old 04-18-15, 06:56 PM
cncspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It actually worked out in the end, the bontrager set up ended be being less expensive and the bike shop installed them for free.

Old 04-18-15, 07:24 PM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
A review I read of the 2014 7.4 FX Disc model, said it was 25 pounds, so once you take away the weight for the disc brakes and the non-carbon fork, I figured it would be close to 23 pounds.
To check, I weighed my 15" 7.4 FX WSD yesterday without the kickstand but with all sensors and an empty saddlebag. 12 kg, or 26.5 lbs. Even with the sensors and saddlebag I think 100% stock might be a bit heavier still because I changed my outer ring to aluminum (originally steel) and lost the chain guard. The stock chainrings plus cranks and chain guard are significantly heavier than what I have now.

Originally Posted by yashinon
I think Trek should have added a lighter handlebar. The ISOZONE is rather chincy IMO. I am interested in learning about the cranks.
If you subscribe to the theory that proportional length cranks are better for performance, you can either lengthen or shorten you cranks. Shorter cranks are almost non-existent so I had to order customized ones from Mark at Bikesmith. In my case, 170 mm cranks were difficult for me to push climbing and accelerating-my legs burned even after short efforts. Once I changed to short 153 mm cranks, I could accelerate faster and the unbearable burning went away like magic (I still got tired as my strength and skills are garbage but no more burning in the legs.)

I theorize that shorter cranks are most helpful for shorter riders or people with range of motion issues while normal/taller people are well-served by the currently available crank lengths.

Originally Posted by mcmoose
Your other option would be to get a new rear cassette with smaller gears -- that would get your gear ratios back to where they were before, and cassettes tend to be cheaper than crank rings.
That's a good idea! I'll try it

Last edited by marimorimo; 04-18-15 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 08:05 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Here is my 2007 FX 7.2 that I sold a couple of years ago. I think it was quite an ugly bike but the new FX frames are gorgeous. This thing was a blast to ride and sometimes when I remember riding it, I question my decision to go 100% steel. That thing just jumped forward when I pedaled and at the time, I had no idea why. Now, I believe it was simply the stiffness of those oversized Aluminum tubes. I also now realize it was too small for me. Thank you, Grant Petersen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0098.jpg (98.0 KB, 8263 views)
Likes For corwin1968:
Old 04-19-15, 06:44 AM
yashinon

Originally Posted by corwin1968
Here is my 2007 FX 7.2 that I sold a couple of years ago. I think it was quite an ugly bike but the new FX frames are gorgeous. This thing was a blast to ride and sometimes when I remember riding it, I question my decision to go 100% steel. That thing just jumped forward when I pedaled and at the time, I had no idea why. Now, I believe it was simply the stiffness of those oversized Aluminum tubes. I also now realize it was too small for me. Thank you, Grant Petersen.

I had a 2006 7.3 and did not think it was ugly. Yes the new FX's are beautiful but the classic versions were not bad.
Likes For yashinon:
Old 04-19-15, 06:57 AM
cncspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be interesting to add a poll to this thread to easily see which level of the FX is the most common among posters.
Old 04-19-15, 08:22 AM
yashinon

"My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now)."

The '14 Trek supposedly comes with a Shimano Acera M391 crank. However the images of the crank "arms" that I see online are different from the arms that came with my bike. My "arms" seem rather long, being 5'6" does this prevent me from pedaling faster, reduce cadence, etc?

Attached is a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150419_101203.jpg (94.5 KB, 8372 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.