Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

6' - 56cm; anybody else?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

6' - 56cm; anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 11:41 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I'll go in the opposite direction here.

I'm 5'8", I have two bikes. A 54cm road bike and a 56cm tour bike. I'm 100% more comfortable on the larger bike which is supposed to be too big for me. I have saddles on both setup the same, but the handlebars on the tour is 42 vs the 40 on the road. I can ride the tour bike for hours in comfort, but I've struggled with the road for years. I'm gonna go get a pro fit at some point, but my guess is that my upper body is larger than my lower.
Could be.

Bars are different. Is the overall reach the same? You didn’t mention stem length or angle. Brake levers same position? How’s your core strength/flexibility off the bike? How much time have you spent trying to ride the road bike? How do you ride vs how do you want to ride? All rhetorical questions. If you want to fit the road bike enough, you’ll figure it out, pro fit or no.
Old 08-20-18, 10:36 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Long story as short as I can make it - my progression of bikes and fit experiences since I started riding again approx 3 years ago, and then a few questions.

(1) Huffy Stalker 10 spd mtb - medium size, I guess (ignorant of sizes/dimensions at the time, but probably like an 18-20" based on my recollection of how it looked) - felt a little small but quite comfortable, got some hand/wrist pain after being on the bike after about 2 hrs. Best $40 ever spent. Stolen.

(2) NEXT Avalon comfort bike - size L frame, still ignorant of sizing/dimensions. Not sure what was supposed to be comfortable about it. Hated it, gave it away.

(3) Schwinn Continental - 20" frame. Too cramped and everything hurt. Traded my dad for #4 (he's 5'6" - I'm 6' even).

(4) Raleigh Marathon 58cm or 23" - too stretched out and everything hurt - hands, back, neck, and "undercarriage"

(5) Schwinn Collegiate 3 22" - golly, fits joyously. No joke, no exaggeration.

(6) Schwinn Clear Creek rigid MTB - 22" (xl I guess) - too stretched out, hands hurt and a little back pain

I would just ride the Collegiate except riding bolt upright gets uncomfortable after about 10 miles. My work commute is 14 miles each way and riding that bike both ways is murder. I should clarify, the discomfort is in I think the inefficient riding position and weight and gearing of the bike, not conducive to hills or headwinds except over shorter distances. No hand or back or neck or seat pain, just sore muscles. I also would really like to get into doing some longer recreational and group rides but no way am I taking that 3 speed out on a century ride. I love it for around town and sitting upright is great in traffic or with my kids to look out for.

By standover, or inseam, or PBH - these methods usually indicate a 56 cm frame for me, in contrast to height-only based formulae which generally indicate a 58. I have a relatively short inseam for my height.

I went to the local big commercial bike store, due to their very large selection, and asked to try a 56 on a road bike since I had never tried one. The salesperson was very insistent that I should be on a 58 for my height and seemed offended and became condescending when I still wanted to try a 56. Crappy customer service is not the point of my post, though. The 56 was far more comfortable than I expected. I felt like I could ride for days. Maybe the fit wasn't perfect, but some small tweaks would have gotten it in the vicinity very nicely. It was a more natural feeling fit than all but the Huffy and the Collegiate, which felt pretty well spot on. To allow the salesperson the benefit of a doubt (since after seeing me ride it she commented that it looked like it was too small - sheesh), I agreed to try a similar bike in a 58. It felt just like the Raleigh - too stretched out, pain in hands, back, neck, and undercarriage. Granted, not really pain yet in the 5 minutes I was on the bike, but after having spent 100's of miles on the Raleigh it was a very familiar discomfort that I felt would with reasonable certainty develop into pain. Of course, the salesperson was still insistent that it was the "right" size for me and any slight discomfort would be addressed by the 3 hour, $240 fitting session they recommend for all bike purchases. Of course.

Question is - are there any other 6 footers out there who ride a 56? Why do you think that might be so comfortable for me? Do you think this immediate comfort may result in long-term damage, i.e. is my body trying to destroy itself or should I listen to it?
I'm a quarter inch shorter and ride a 55/56 depends on the bike.
Old 08-20-18, 11:36 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phamilton

Could be.

Bars are different. Is the overall reach the same? You didn’t mention stem length or angle. Brake levers same position? How’s your core strength/flexibility off the bike? How much time have you spent trying to ride the road bike? How do you ride vs how do you want to ride? All rhetorical questions. If you want to fit the road bike enough, you’ll figure it out, pro fit or no.
The tour bike is 20 years older than the road bike, so they are difficult to compare and contrast. The tour bike's reach is about 3-4 cm more than the road, but the bars are also more relaxed. I moved them higher a couple months ago to make the drops more accessible, and it's made all the difference. But, the drops on the tour are the older type that are completely curved back 180deg, while the road are the newer type that point more downwards.

One thing that makes me think I need larger bars on my road bike (to match my tour) is that I feel like my wrists are bent/twisted inwards when on the hoods, which is causing numbness. That and not feeling comfortable changing positions to the drops makes me suspect even tho the bike is supposed to be the "right size for my height", it's just not working out. I'm older, so I'm not comfortable with a real aggressive position on either bike.
Old 08-26-18, 08:02 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a bit over 6'1" but have short legs and thighs. Currently riding a custom Marinoni that is 56cm c-c with a 74 degree seat angle and a 59cm top tube. Previously I would get a 58cm c-t frame, cram the seat forwards and use a 145mm or so stem. It worked but I feel like my weight is distributed better on the custom ​frame.