Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

National Packing List

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 07:35 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
I built a wagon that can carry two bikes on top, along with front wheels and has plenty of room in it for rollers, gears, aero bars, tools, water, food, chair and just about anything else you would need for a day at the track.
I'd love to see a picture of that.
I have had plans for just that sort of thing rustling around in my head for a while. Just not clear enough to start cutting wood.
PI
Old 06-23-17, 08:07 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll see if I can take some pics of it tomorrow as I'm getting my stuff together to leave on Sunday for Nationals.
Old 06-23-17, 11:18 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
So I saw how the tents are set up. Some will be on concrete, some will be on grass. The booths are fairly small in size compared to last year. As far as I can tell, there will be no common rollers to share.
Old 06-24-17, 05:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
So I saw how the tents are set up. Some will be on concrete, some will be on grass. The booths are fairly small in size compared to last year. As far as I can tell, there will be no common rollers to share.
So I do need to bring Rollers and plywood or just Rollers?

And I'll add that until this week, I've never felt the need for the wagon. But figuring I'll need to haul Rollers, plywood (maybe), chair, and a large cooler, in addition to my normal race day gear, it seems useful.

Normally, I don't bring my Rollers as I have ample time to warm up on the track and the events are stacked so I'm basically rolling around the warmup circle in between events. Sometimes, I don't even have time to change gears.
Old 06-24-17, 11:18 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

And I'll add that until this week, I've never felt the need for the wagon. But figuring I'll need to haul Rollers, plywood (maybe), chair, and a large cooler, in addition to my normal race day gear, it seems useful.

Normally, I don't bring my Rollers as I have ample time to warm up on the track and the events are stacked so I'm basically rolling around the warmup circle in between events. Sometimes, I don't even have time to change gears.
This is exactly why I made this post above:

Originally Posted by carleton
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll add to this one:

Facts:

- You will not be guaranteed track time before your event like you would at your local track.
- If there is "open track", it may be from 6:00AM - 7:45AM...and your first event might be at 2PM.
- Your first event may be at 2PM on the schedule, but your name may not be called until 4PM.

How do you deal with this?
- Learn to do your entire warmup for the biggest event of the year in the infield with no track time. Even for the power events like the 500M, Kilo, and Match Sprints. You probably won't get to do your jumps on your race gear before your flying 200M.
- For last few race/training sessions at your local tracks, don't join the warmup pacelines or take any track time before your workouts/races. Do your entire warmup on your rollers/trainer. This will give you confidence that you can still perform at the same level while warming up only on rollers.

If you don't think it can work, just look at what happens in the infield at any televised world-level race. I've literally never seen an "open track" group warmup.

Also, the few brief moments that the commisars at Masters Nationals do open the track for open track, it's a mess. You'll do yourself a favor by staying out of it. Anyone who has been to Nationals before has stories about the craziness that has happened in open track.

It's sorta unnerving to do the same routine all season then have that routine upset during the biggest event of the year.

As the saying goes, "Practice how you Play and Play how you Practice."

Which is I think why Taras wrote:

Originally Posted by taras0000
Mental exhaustion is often overlooked at an event this big, but it can dull you just the same way that heat does.
Some tracks have a culture of warming up in the infield on rollers (Alpenrose, TTown, etc...) and some don't (DLV).
Old 06-24-17, 11:23 AM
1incpa

Originally Posted by Divebrian
I'll see if I can take some pics of it tomorrow as I'm getting my stuff together to leave on Sunday for Nationals.
Cool, thanks!
And good luck to everyone at Nationals!
PI
Old 06-24-17, 11:34 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I think if you arrive early enough you can get a concrete booth.
Old 07-02-17, 08:21 AM
carleton
Elitist

Fast4 50,

Did you make it to Nationals? How did it go? Were our tips helpful?
Old 07-02-17, 07:43 PM
Fast4 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Fast4 50,

Did you make it to Nationals? How did it go? Were our tips helpful?
I did make it to Nats'!!

It went well although I didn't achieve my goal of top 5, I was 6th. It was a great learning experience. It exposed my weaknesses and some strengths. The biggest takeaway was the effects of training at altitude. I live at 7700 ft and the Boulder Velodrome is 5000' and the OTC is 6000'. The thick humid air felt like riding in sand when I got to speed. It literally felt like I rode into a wall. I think I need to focus on lifting more and maybe doing erg workouts with supplemental O2 (suggested to me by the head Nordic Coach for the US para's). Also I was the only rider in our age group riding spoked wheels.

The tips were great. One of the coaches called me a Boy Scout for being so prepared. Two things I added along with all of your suggestions were compression tights for the long drives and in between heats and a Zero Gravity Chair, a fancy name for a reclining camp chair. It was nice to get my legs up between heats. I'll try to go back through this thread and make a packing list on a Google Spread sheet and share the link.

Thanks everyone for the help, it figured into the equation somewhere that helped me squeak into the tourney....I'm sure I was a nice warm up for the winner of the tourney in the 1/4 finals...
Old 07-02-17, 11:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Fast4 50
I did make it to Nats'!!

It went well although I didn't achieve my goal of top 5, I was 6th. It was a great learning experience. It exposed my weaknesses and some strengths. The biggest takeaway was the effects of training at altitude. I live at 7700 ft and the Boulder Velodrome is 5000' and the OTC is 6000'. The thick humid air felt like riding in sand when I got to speed. It literally felt like I rode into a wall. I think I need to focus on lifting more and maybe doing erg workouts with supplemental O2 (suggested to me by the head Nordic Coach for the US para's). Also I was the only rider in our age group riding spoked wheels.

The tips were great. One of the coaches called me a Boy Scout for being so prepared. Two things I added along with all of your suggestions were compression tights for the long drives and in between heats and a Zero Gravity Chair, a fancy name for a reclining camp chair. It was nice to get my legs up between heats. I'll try to go back through this thread and make a packing list on a Google Spread sheet and share the link.

Thanks everyone for the help, it figured into the equation somewhere that helped me squeak into the tourney....I'm sure I was a nice warm up for the winner of the tourney in the 1/4 finals...
I'm glad you had a great time and didn't have any infield/bike worries to add to you having to worry about the other racers.

Be careful with the compression stuff in the summer in the southeast. When last I checked, compression gear hadn't really shown itself to be effective (some say it is, some say it isn't). But, what is definitely true is that it will keep you from cooling off. Heat can be a formidable enemy. It can increase recovery time between efforts, slowly sap your power, adversely affect your mental acuity, cause cramping, and even worse. So, the recovery gains don't outweigh cooling off in the +95F/35C degree infield.

This goes for all compression: socks, tights, shirts, skinsuits, etc...

The best setup I've ever made was a 2-piece skinsuit made with normal bib shorts and a Nike or Under Armor compression shirt. These can be found for $25-35 in basic colors in long or short sleeves.

1) It's easy to get in and out of, being 2 pieces.
2) You can warm up on a loose fitting T and then put on the compression before your events. Then after the events, take off the compression and put the loose T back on.
Old 07-03-17, 09:00 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you folks haven't seen them, the Feedback Omnium rollers are stellar. They make two sleds, the low resistance one is great for track warmups. Really can get your spin on, and they fold up tiny and fit in a medium suitcase. Used them this week and love them.

For future hot outdoor events, bring a beach towel. Soak it with water for a poor man's cooling vest.
Old 07-03-17, 10:12 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
For future hot outdoor events, bring a beach towel. Soak it with water for a poor man's cooling vest.
I've never thought of a beach towel. I always kept a towel that was large enough to drape the area of my chest, and soaked it with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol is cheap enough and a couple of bottles will last you the weekend. Draped over the neck and upper back, it allowed me to keep my legs moving on the rollers without overheating.
Old 07-04-17, 10:25 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
If you folks haven't seen them, the Feedback Omnium rollers are stellar. They make two sleds, the low resistance one is great for track warmups. Really can get your spin on, and they fold up tiny and fit in a medium suitcase. Used them this week and love them.

Thumbs up for the Feedback Omnium Track! I used it for the first time at Natz and I agree it is the way to go. No need to look for a place to set up rollers, or worry about someone in a crowded infield bumping into you. Plus, you can easily carry it on the plane without fighting with the airline staff.

Also thumbs up for the wet towel! It wasn't just nice to have; it was a piece of survival equipment in the heat and humidity!
Old 07-04-17, 11:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Yeah, those looked awesome. I didn't ride any, but my buddy has the 1st generation set. He loves them. Used them to warm up for his Team Sprint. They pack away as small as a camera tripod.

To be honest, I'd recommend them over rollers. Rollers:

- Require more packing space.
- Are heavier.
- Require concentration (some can't look away or have a conversation when on rollers).
- Require minimum speed.
- Fork stands for rollers exist, but are that much bigger and more to carry around.

I mean, if we focus on the objective (low resistance work to warm up, stay warm, or cool down), they tick all of those boxes.

Feedback Sports:
My only suggestions for the next version of them are to:

Make the rollers wider to accommodate more sway in the rear wheels. My buddy jumped off of his once. It was user error, but I think that the packing and usage footprint wouldn't suffer at all when doing so. I know they want to be as small as possible (and they've achieved that). I think that maybe 2" wider would help a lot and not hurt. Trackies like to do rev-outs at max cadence for muscle activation and sometimes sway a bit.

It seems like the current design would allow for an optional wide set of rollers to be swapped out.

Offer some sort of optional (add on) rectangular boards that would spread the weight of the front and rear ends horizontally for use in grass. The length x width would be the same as the packed-up unit and fit into the same bag.

Alpenrose for example:

Maybe get some prototype sets into the hands of track sprinters (not just roadies and enduros) who use rollers slightly differently and get feedback.

$429 MSRP isn't cheap. I think if they can get the price down closer to $250-300, they may be a "go-to" item for trackies and many will own a set. I don't know what the margins are on them, but if that's possible, I think that would help a lot.
Old 07-08-17, 08:18 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
I'd love to see a picture of that.
I have had plans for just that sort of thing rustling around in my head for a while. Just not clear enough to start cutting wood.
PI
Sorry it took me so long. I should have taken pictures while I had it fully loaded at Nationals, but I had other things on my mind. I had it loaded with two bikes, including fort wheels, rollers, race wheels in a double bag, two helmets, two pairs of shoes, tools, pump, chair, gallon of water, and a small duffle with clothes, towels, etc. It has over a 500 lb capacity and carries everything nicely and easily rolls over the transition from grass to asphalt or sidewalk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1628.jpg (95.7 KB, 138 views)
IMG_1625.jpg (97.7 KB, 174 views)
IMG_1624.jpg (97.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-08-17, 09:34 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Sweet cart! Still trying to figure out if there's a hidden 3-D image in the driveway pavers.
Old 07-08-17, 11:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

That's awesome!
Old 07-09-17, 06:28 AM
1incpa

Thanks for the pics! That's a pretty sweet wagon!
Definitely gives me a clearer picture of what I want to build.
I'll be sure and post pics when (if) I get mine built.
PI
Old 07-09-17, 06:47 AM
topflightpro

That was you? I totally saw you and your cart at Nats. I was very impressed by the cart.

Also, someone commented it was the first time they'd seen a Koga in the US.
Old 07-09-17, 08:40 AM
carleton
Elitist

[Roar of applause from all of the Track Wives and Track Girlfriends around the world]

As the wife of a teammate (who goes to Master Nationals almost annually) once commented, "He just invites me so I can help schlep his stuff in and out of the velodrome."
Old 07-10-17, 06:09 AM
topflightpro

To be fair, I did meet one or two track husbands/boyfriends too.
Old 07-07-18, 01:55 PM
topflightpro

Reviving this thread.

I'll be arriving on Monday afternoon/evening, and I'm racing Wednesday, Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Who else is heading up to T-Town?
Old 07-08-18, 02:00 PM
1incpa

My scratch race is Tuesday, points race is Wednesday. I'm registered for the Madison on Sunday but my partner broke some ribs in a training crash. We'll see how that works out.
I did notice that there are 19 guys registered, so at least one will be looking for a partner.
Paul
Old 07-16-18, 12:27 PM
topflightpro

@Divebrian and @sarals, it was nice meeting both of you at Nationals this week.

Brian, I stopped you in the courtyard to ask about your cart and asked if you owned a Koga.

Sarals, we met while sitting at the start tower before our events. I think I was doing the Kilo and you your match sprints.

@queerpunk, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello.
Old 07-16-18, 12:49 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@Divebrian and @sarals, it was nice meeting both of you at Nationals this week.

Brian, I stopped you in the courtyard to ask about your cart and asked if you owned a Koga.

Sarals, we met while sitting at the start tower before our events. I think I was doing the Kilo and you your match sprints.

@queerpunk, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello.
I definitely remember, and it was great to meet you! I was a bit focused, I kinda had my hands full! Thanks for saying hi and introducing yourself,

I wish I’d met divebrian, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.