Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

How do you transport your triathlon bike?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 02:12 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I have a Thule hitch rack that I've used with my road and gravel bikes (no triathlon bike) for years. It holds the wheels in cradles using straps and buckles and it has an arm that secures the top tube. Now, for my tri bike, I would like to have a hitch rack that (1) doesn't pull down on the top tube, and (2) doesn't require securing the wheels with straps and buckles. Even if I wanted to use my existing rack, there's no way the rear wheel strap would work with a disc wheel or 90mm deep section wheel.

I have a set of shallower wheels that I don't (much) mind strapping down. But I hate to have to change wheels back and forth just to transport the bike. Does anyone have a solution to the problem? How do you transport your triathlon bike?
Old 09-29-17, 08:32 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Does anyone have a solution to the problem? How do you transport your triathlon bike?
I'm trying to visualize your rack. Can you post a picture of it on the car? Considering the disc/deep dish wheel...I'm wondering if you could somehow strap around the seat instead? If the strap doesn't reach the seat you could tie a loop of heavyduty rope through the seat rails that is long enough so that your tiedown strap can reach it. Or perhaps you can do something like that around the chainstay? If you go that route I'd suggest wrapping a protective piece of cloth around it so that the tiedown strap doesn't muck up your paint finish.

Personally, I drive a pickup. I constructed a DIY mount across the front of the truck bed with quick-release fork mounts (mounts for two seperate bikes). All I have to remove is the front wheel...and there's also a mount to secure the removed front wheel to.

Dan
Old 10-01-17, 06:55 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I have a third car that I use to transport my bikes if I'm doing an event I have to drive to (wheels on). I've never used a rack for the bike, before I had the third car I would bring my bike to the car dealership to make sure it would fit in any new car I bought (with wheels off). So I have fit my bikes I a smart car, scion I.Q. and recently I had one in my Nissan 370Z, all 2 seater's. But I prefer to keep the wheels on so hence the third car.
Old 10-13-17, 10:11 AM
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I chose a hitch rack, not being able to strap the 90mm rear wheel was a concern. If I'm not mistaken, Yakima has extenders that would allow you to strap the wheels. I went with a 1UP usa that doesn't use strapping the wheel as a way to secure, instead, their system holds on to the top of both tires.

Regretfully, both of these options would require purchasing a new rack.

Hope information helps.
Old 11-03-17, 07:16 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a 1-up rack if you don't mind the price

I did a lot of research on hitch racks and I think the 1-up is without a doubt the best there is. The closest competitors in my opinion would be the Thule T2 XT Pro and the Kuat NV 2.0. But the 1up seems to be more durable, secure, and easy to use.

Also, the 1UP system is compatible with most bikes (including TTs), and will only touch your wheels, not your frame.
Old 11-10-17, 05:58 AM
stanram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you hate changing the wheels back and forth for transporting, why don’t you try to transport your bike through a shipping firm. Sometimes one might make mistake if trying to transport one’s bike by one own self. And triathlon bike is not something one can lose. So its better to avoid such circumstances and opt for experience rather than improvisation. One can have reference from the internet regarding genuine shipping firms.
Old 11-10-17, 06:22 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Seems the least expensive way is to use some training wheels then swap to your racing wheels once you get there. I've always taking my training wheels anyway, just in case.
Old 11-10-17, 06:31 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
The thread rises from the dead . . .

My solution is to use my trainer wheel/tire to transport the bike. I can strap it down without worry. And, if I need to warm up and there's not a good segment of road available for the purpose, the bike is ready to put on a trainer for warmup. Problem solved.
Old 11-19-17, 05:15 PM
GSJon

Bikes: Specialized Crux Expert Evo, Felt DA, Surly Crosscheck, Divvy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Tri Bike Transport to ship it out to races. Locally I just put it in the back of the SUV with the seats folded down.