Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What made You So Big?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 01:18 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Got married, LOL.

Before marriage, I ate two $0.99 Whoppers with cheese every day for lunch and dinner. After marriage I had a home cooked meal every night. Wife cooked everything from scratch. Don't know how I could be 160 lb soaking wet eating Burger King Whoppers every night and balloon up to 245 by eating home cooked meals.

Waiting for it to reverse. Divorced 3 years now. It's not reversing....
Old 06-11-18, 04:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Eat more whoppers
Old 06-11-18, 06:16 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Eat more whoppers
and they ain't no $.99 anymore..
Old 06-12-18, 12:50 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is why this thread is important

As I said in the OP it isn't just as simple as calories in / calories out. 4 whoppers = well over 2000 calories so unless your wife was cooking ribs every night you were eating less calories during marriage.

My own case is the opposite of yours. I lost 15-20 pounds eating a French diet high in wine, butter, bread all those things they say you shouldn't. But I did exercise 1-2 hours every day since I do not own a car and I wasn't stressed (since work was under control).

Not to pry, but was there any differences before/during married life? Was it stressful?

Originally Posted by mrodgers
Got married, LOL.

Before marriage, I ate two $0.99 Whoppers with cheese every day for lunch and dinner. After marriage I had a home cooked meal every night. Wife cooked everything from scratch. Don't know how I could be 160 lb soaking wet eating Burger King Whoppers every night and balloon up to 245 by eating home cooked meals.

Old 06-12-18, 04:52 PM
Sudovoodoo80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a snacker. I will mindlessly snack on anything and everything all day. Has been a struggle to get it under control, but using MFP to track my calories has been an eye opener. It's easy to add up the calories with a candy bar here and a bag of chips there.
Old 06-12-18, 05:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Sudovoodoo80
It's easy to add up the calories with a candy bar here and a bag of chips there.
Or even just a candy bar here... 40-50g sugar is a LOT!

Eliminating (or let's face it, reducing) snacking has been critical to my weight loss. I am learning to maximize smaller sugary treats (like a fun-size candy bar or a quarter of a donut) by taking smaller bites, chewing them longer, savoring the remaining taste in my mouth before taking another bite, etc.

Also, as everybody here probably already knows, fruit juice is just as sugar-filled as soda, often worse! If you want fruit, eat fruit. Don't drink your calories, eat them!
Old 06-13-18, 07:37 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Not to pry, but was there any differences before/during married life? Was it stressful?
As I've told my wife, I didn't have any grey hair before we got married...
Old 06-13-18, 07:41 AM
Milton Keynes

Or even just a candy bar here... 40-50g sugar is a LOT!

Eliminating (or let's face it, reducing) snacking has been critical to my weight loss. I am learning to maximize smaller sugary treats (like a fun-size candy bar or a quarter of a donut) by taking smaller bites, chewing them longer, savoring the remaining taste in my mouth before taking another bite, etc.

Also, as everybody here probably already knows, fruit juice is just as sugar-filled as soda, often worse! If you want fruit, eat fruit. Don't drink your calories, eat them!
Yes, I've had to change my snacking habits as well, choosing baby carrots or a hard boiled egg over chips or candy. And you're completely correct about fruit juice, from what I read eating fruit is OK because you have all that fiber from the fruit for your body to break down. Fruit juice often has added sugar, which often means high fructose corn syrup, and only around 5% juice. It's important to read nutrition and ingredient labels on all food you buy.
Old 06-15-18, 10:38 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
and they ain't no $.99 anymore..
That's for sure.

As I said in the OP it isn't just as simple as calories in / calories out. 4 whoppers = well over 2000 calories so unless your wife was cooking ribs every night you were eating less calories during marriage.

My own case is the opposite of yours. I lost 15-20 pounds eating a French diet high in wine, butter, bread all those things they say you shouldn't. But I did exercise 1-2 hours every day since I do not own a car and I wasn't stressed (since work was under control).

Yes, difference is I got married. Had to now do marriage stuff instead of playing softball, basketball, hockey, vollyball, and swimming all the time. Instead of push mowing my parents' half acre for an hour and a half I was riding my 2 acres. Instead of going out and doing single guy stuff, I was at home doing marriage stuff with a woman which means a lot of TV and movie "our time" activities.
Old 06-16-18, 03:14 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point

Good point. I lost my first 20 pounds just by reading labels and given choice, choosing the item with lower calories. It's suprising that there are so many hidden calories everywhere.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's important to read nutrition and ingredient labels on all food you buy.
Old 06-16-18, 05:52 AM
NickInTheValley

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lifetime of eating too much bad food.
Old 06-18-18, 09:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Good point. I lost my first 20 pounds just by reading labels and given choice, choosing the item with lower calories. It's suprising that there are so many hidden calories everywhere.
What's worse is that in many foods labeled "fat free" they add loads of sugar in order to make it taste better, so you're trading fat which isn't wholly unhealthy for extra sugar, which is unhealthy. I totally avoid anything labeled "fat free."
Old 06-18-18, 09:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

As I've told my wife, I didn't have any grey hair before we got married...
As I tell any of my kids when they point out the grey in my beard "It's your fault"
Old 06-18-18, 09:47 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

What's worse is that in many foods labeled "fat free" they add loads of sugar in order to make it taste better, so you're trading fat which isn't wholly unhealthy for extra sugar, which is unhealthy. I totally avoid anything labeled "fat free."
I lived in England a couple years, the non-low-fat (i.e. 'real') versions of foods are labeled "Full Fat". I can't imagine "Full Fat Sour Cream" or "Full Fat Yogurt" selling well in the U.S.
Old 06-18-18, 11:00 AM
Milton Keynes

I lived in England a couple years, the non-low-fat (i.e. 'real') versions of foods are labeled "Full Fat". I can't imagine "Full Fat Sour Cream" or "Full Fat Yogurt" selling well in the U.S.
Well they also have something called "clotted cream" over there which doesn't sound appetizing...
Old 06-18-18, 11:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ha, sounds funny, but is really just thicker cream. "Black pudding" though, you might want to avoid
Old 06-18-18, 11:29 AM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Eight kids in nine years... I’m 48 now and my husband is 58, so I think we’re almost safe.
Old 06-25-18, 12:52 PM
Sprout4u

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 11 lbs and 2 feet long at birth. I have always been big. @ 325 lbs and 6'6" now I just consider it normal size. An addiction to sweets doesn't help either.
Old 06-25-18, 01:36 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Nice, you beat mine. My kids were born big and bigger: 8lb2oz, 9lb4oz, 10lb8oz. We decided to stop there or the next one would split the wife in half. 10lb8oz I think was also 24" long. He's skinny though, luckily got his mother's frame.
Old 07-12-18, 04:49 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
From dieting/counting calories I have learned:
I ate 2500 calories of food a day; and between 100-1500 of garbage on top of that.
If I quit eating the garbage I can eat what I like. Except burgers. What I call a burger my calorie counting app calls 2/3 of my daily caloric intake.
When push comes to shove (when I say "I will ingest no more than 2500 calories a day" and stick to it) I prefer food to booze. This actually surprised me.
I am lazy, Sometimes I skip eating simply because I do not want to figure out the calories involved. I figure if I feel that way I am not that hungry.
Lost 20lbs this month with only moderate biking (10-15 miles a few times a week). So yeah I would say food intake was the problem.
Old 07-13-18, 04:51 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've always had a large frame. I played baseball in college at 6'-2" and 195 pounds. After I got married, I gradually became more sedentary and put on weight. At age 45, I got active again, mostly swimming and cycling, and dropped from 295 to 225. Developed back problems, had spine fusion surgery and got sedentary again. At 60, I had a bout with lymphoma that required a stem-cell transplant. The docs warned me that transplant patients often become malnourished because they lose interest in eating, so I should eat as much as I could. I shot back up to 293, and was too weak and tired to exercise for more than a year. Finally, last September, I went on a low-carb diet and started exercising again -- walking, swimming, weightlifting and cycling. I'm now down to 233 and don't plan to stop. My goal is to settle in the 210-215 range, which in my mind won't be bad for a 62-year-old.

So I guess the short answer for why I got so big should be that I had a gland problem -- the gland between my nose and my chin.
Old 07-14-18, 07:25 AM
why1504

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well they also have something called "clotted cream" over there which doesn't sound appetizing...
I would pay a pretty penny for some clotted cream.

I have now lost over 65 pounds after turning my body into a fat enabled engine. I run on fat. I still have a long way to go but no more joint pain, better mental clarity, every part of my body makes me feel like I am 20-25 years younger.

i was put on my first diet when I was 5. Food has always owned me. For the first time in my life I eat to live vs living to eat.
Old 07-18-18, 07:39 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Eat food, not so much, mostly plants.

You can do all the Jedi Hand Wave tricks you want. It comes down to how much and what kinds of food we shove in our fat mouths.

Your way? It's a mystery, must have been the magic dirt of Europe or something. How were you tracking your calories? How were you tracking your exercise kj burned? Were you tracking in both places, with both diets, and with both types of exercise utilizing the same tracking method?

My way. It's all on the individual. And that can be hard to accept...that it is truly and indeed you and your mouth. You can lose weight without exercising.

Your way is full of excuses. My way it's all on you baby. Accept that YOU are the sole cause of your weight gain. Not hereditary, or some disease-of-the-month you read about on some make-excuses blog. Once you accept that it's you and you alone, then you can understand that YOU are the only cure to effect you own weight LOSS.
I have to say that there are medical conditions that make weight loss impossible without treatment. A family member of mine has no thyroid function and even with synthroid struggles with exhaustion.. I had an undiagnosed medical conditions for three years and was also struggling with exhaustion until I went and got treatment. It really gave me a lot of empathy for people who deal with chronic health issues. That being said I also think there is a personal responsibility to get the treatment you can for health issues and do the best you can with the life you get. I would advocate if you are struggling with weight get a complete physical and rule out common issues that cause weight gain line diabetes, hypertension and causes of exhaustion like sleep apnea. While I hate my CPAP machine and flip it off each night before i turn it on, using it had given me the energy to exercise, the mental clarity to make reasonable food choices. Being healthy requires a grounded real world view of yourself. Fake news isnt going to cut it.
Old 07-21-18, 07:10 PM
Tikaani

Bikes: 2018 Trek DS 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 140 lbs in High School (76-79). Played soccer and baseball. Joined the Air Force in 1982 and weighed 160 LBS and stood 71 inches (5' 11").

In 1986 the Air Force sent me to Germany where I discovered real beer and spiessbraten. When I left Germany in 1989 I was around 200 lbs.

I retired from the Air Force in 2004 at the same weight, 200 lbs. I moved into my next career, but had a lot of time on my hands without the extra demands of the military. I took up cooking as a hobby. Lots of experimenting brought me up to 240 lbs within a few years.

A few months ago I realized I was around 6 years from real retirement, and recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I've been doing well putting money away, but realized I need to live long enough to spend it. Bought myself a Trek Dual Sport 2, and here we are.

I had forgot how fun riding a bike was. Just this morning I went on a 12.5 mile ride with the local club and had a blast.
Old 07-22-18, 05:32 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I was a Cat 2 racer in the 80, retiring from racing in 1991 at age 40. During my racing years, I weighed~145# and managed my food intake daily, counting every calorie and watching the quality. Food was fuel and weight was the enemy. I was constantly hungry.

After I quit managing my intake, I ate everything that didn't move and started eating all of the crap that I had deprived myself for over a decade. Result? I weighed 195# by 1995. From then on, it was a series of yo-yoing till today; 165# in 1996, 220# in 2007, 165# in 2008, 230# in 2013, 178# in 2014, and 225# today.

I swear to heaven, I need a psychologist. Seriously. My taste buds seem to like fat and lots of it. I obviously know the rules of proper eating but my pleasure sensors take over as soon as I see crappy food. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

BTW, I still average over 6,000 miles a year so riding more certainly doesn't guarantee less weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.