Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wald 582 basket

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Wald 582 basket

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 04:15 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wald 582 basket

Happy Ground hog day.
Have any of you used the Wald 582 basket? What are your experiences with it, good or bad. I had bought a set of panniers and using the wrong rack had them make contact with the wheel. They still work, but they have a split in them. So I'm looking for something else for the grocery bike. I like the idea they can be folded up when not in use. I might also want to use them for a bike overnighter. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 02-02-18, 05:55 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've sold a bunch of these. Customers have been really happy. They're perfect size for a grocery bag too.
Old 02-08-18, 05:21 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I have them on one of my bikes. I like that they fold up but they are a bit small. I actually prefer the Ortlieb panniers I am using on one of my other bikes.
Old 02-09-18, 04:06 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

been using them daily for about 6 years now, and will use them for my next commuter bike build. I've heard some complain about rattles, but I dont hear them just riding along. As said, they are the perfect size for reusable grocery sacks. I have even used two sacks (not for groceries anymore) and hauled my laundry this way.
Old 03-02-18, 04:41 PM
300# Gorilla

Bikes: Cross-Check, 73 Super Sport single speed, World Tourist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Love them, I have one of them on the drive side of my Commuter / Grocery Getter (old Schwinn World Tourist) with a Wald 137 basket on the front. The 582 folds up out of the way, but take a minute to really look at how it folds, get it right and you can fold it back up nice and neat. If you just flip it up without looking it will not clip closed. I have seen a few where they gave up and just left it unfolded or tied up with string!
I think it works great, it is just the right size for a standard grocery bag (rectangular paper). I leave the non-drive side of the rack open for other bags I can clip-on.
Take your time mounting it to make sure it is secure, you do not want it to rattle when empty and it needs to be solid if you put 20lbs of groceries in it.
Old 03-10-18, 02:25 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I use them on my errand schlepper. Each basket will hold 1 or 2 of those commonly used plastic grocery bags, depending on how much crap is in them. I think they were originally sized for those brown paper grocery bags stores used to use.

I fortified the mounting hardware with zip ties and a hose clamp to inhibit theft and rattling (not a peep).

When open, they'll also provide a nice wide platform (with the rack), about 20 inches wide.

The basket on the front rack is an old desktop letter tray. The lip keeps a bag from rolling off the rack and a bungee will keep it from bouncing out.

Old 03-15-18, 02:16 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I have them and they work great for groceries an other stuff. I unfortunately spilled Wendy's chili on it years ago which caused the spots with chili on it to rust. I think the tomato sauce in there is acidic. If you spill chili in it clean it up right away. Perhaps the powder coated versions are better at resisting rust than the zinc coated models.

VC, I like you front basket. I may need to copy it.
Old 03-15-18, 03:19 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
VC, I like you front basket. I may need to copy it.
It works great. I didn't want one of the larger baskets on the front, just something big enough hold a bag or two. The letter tray is attached with zip ties and one small hose clamp to an old Blackburn rack.

Old 03-17-18, 03:58 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the other comments. I have them, mounted as far back as I can on the rack to alleviate heel strike issues. Going to work I use just my rack trunk and a messenger bag but when I go shopping, especially on my typical Saturday morning run to the farmers market and a run to recycling station, they work great for both.
Old 03-23-18, 01:54 PM
greatplaid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the amount of rattling they do is not good.
Old 03-23-18, 05:16 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I like mine just fine. I have a set of plastic bags that are similar in size to the old large brown paper bag that are a perfect fit. The bags in the photo are some of he cheap store ones.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-24-18, 06:14 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 300# Gorilla
<snip>The 582 folds up out of the way, but take a minute to really look at how it folds, get it right and you can fold it back up nice and neat. If you just flip it up without looking it will not clip closed. I have seen a few where they gave up and just left it unfolded or tied up with string!<snip>
I have used them for a few years now. While I think they're great for groceries and taking things to the recycling center, I find the clip a complete pain. Instead of using it at all, I just keep them folded up with the bungee cords I need for when they are loaded. I'm not aware of rattling, but I'm not particularly sensitive to such things.

The one thing that I find true with my bike is that heavy loads on the back need to be balanced with some weight up front. I have a Soma Porteur rack up front. When the rear load gets up above about thirty five pounds, I like to put at least a few pounds on the Soma to keep the front of the bike down.