Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 03:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Why stop there, let your license expire.

I'm fairly confident I can get by, for the rest of my life without driving again, in this part of the world anyway.
Around here, the driver's license is considered "ID", although it is relatively infrequent that someone will ask for it, and there isn't a lot of sense in replacing the driver's license with a non-license ID (same cost?) Plus, getting the registration renewed means just going in and paying the bill. Oregon bills by a biennium, so if I renew during the biennium, I have to pay the entire fee, but if I renew after 2 years, I only have to pay the current biennium.

I would fear that renewing an expired license could force repeating the exams. It shouldn't be that hard to pass, but I'd hate to fail it after 30+ years.

My only recent driving has been with my mother including helping drive the 400 mile drive between her house and my brother's house, and more recently driving her home from the hospital post-surgery, as well as helping with some appointments around town. And, it is possible those needs will increase with time as she gets older. So far, I haven't convinced her to hop on the tandem (which I do have), and I haven't bought/built a bike rickshaw yet.

Anyway, for now, I'll maintain a valid driver's license. Plus, the state has jumped from 4 to 8 year renewals, so it will be some time before it next expires.
Old 04-04-18, 03:45 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
In Minnesota you have to apply in person, isn't worth it, its an expensive flight, and I have no other reason to go back.

I'm extremely grateful to have escaped from car culture for the better part of the last two decades.

I had an ID card that was not a license, before I got my license, that should still be an option. What do disabled people use for ID?

I've never had anyone anywhere fail to accept my passport as valid ID, although its probably only possible somewhere in the states.

I dread the thought of having to drive again.

Last edited by SHBR; 04-04-18 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-04-18, 06:44 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
In Minnesota you have to apply in person, isn't worth it, its an expensive flight, and I have no other reason to go back.

I'm extremely grateful to have escaped from car culture for the better part of the last two decades.

I had an ID card that was not a license, before I got my license, that should still be an option. What do disabled people use for ID?

I've never had anyone anywhere fail to accept my passport as valid ID, although its probably only possible somewhere in the states.

I dread the thought of having to drive again.
Alternate IDs, here at least, include Passports and gov't issued healthcards, but I guess that doesn't help lots of Americans
Old 04-04-18, 06:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
As far as I know, any state in the U.S. will issues a "State ID card" if a person presents the same documents needed to get a driver's license, which might be no more than a social security card or birth certificate. I've gotten them in a state or two.

I found it worthwhile to take the test and keep a valid license, however.

One evening, long ago, I was the only sober person in a car full of .... other people, when that car was pulled over. The driver went to jail, and the rest of us would have been out of luck ... except I had my license and was sober. So we all got to drive to jail and pick up the guy instead of having to walk countless miles t get home.

if it were a medical emergency or something, i'd have driven without a license, but for less dire situations, a license can be handy.
Old 04-04-18, 08:13 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As far as I know, any state in the U.S. will issues a "State ID card" if a person presents the same documents needed to get a driver's license, which might be no more than a social security card or birth certificate. I've gotten them in a state or two.

One evening, long ago, I was the only sober person in a car full of .... other people, when that car was pulled over. The driver went to jail, and the rest of us would have been out of luck ... except I had my license and was sober. So we all got to drive to jail and pick up the guy instead of having to walk countless miles t get home.

if it were a medical emergency or something, i'd have driven without a license, but for less dire situations, a license can be handy.
I'm glad it was pulled over.
Old 04-04-18, 09:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by cooker
I'm glad it was pulled over.
We were young and dumb and none of them were "Drunk" drunk ... I wouldn't have been in the car if I wasn't sure the driver could get me there safely---easier to stay home than to try to get home from the hospital.

The driver was just being a jerk and passed a cop while acting stupid .... spoiled rich kid .... Don't speed and do burnouts and such after a beer or two, right? Some folks think so.

On the whole, because I didn't have to carry a load of stuff (knapsack and tenor saxophone) several miles .... I found the whole thing pretty funny.

Pretty sure he didn't learn a lesson that night. Hope he grew up eventually.
Old 04-04-18, 10:25 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Alternate IDs, here at least, include Passports and gov't issued healthcards, but I guess that doesn't help lots of Americans
Passports (and some other IDs) do not have an address on them so they don't work in some cases. To use a passport one needs to carry an additional document matching name to address.
Old 04-04-18, 12:14 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Passports (and some other IDs) do not have an address on them so they don't work in some cases. To use a passport one needs to carry an additional document matching name to address.
Depends what you need it for.

I can cash a check without an address, and not sure what else i would need an ID for .... and since I don't even own a checkbook (I just deposit checks, and have direct deposit at work) my bank card (no address) is all I need to buy and deposit.

A state ID was a few dollars as I recall, but that was many, many years ago.
Old 04-04-18, 12:33 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Local store won't take checks without an address on ID that matches address on check. Voting also requires address on ID.
Old 04-04-18, 12:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Depends what you need it for.

I can cash a check without an address, and not sure what else i would need an ID for ....
Plan to take any commercial airlines in the future?
Old 04-04-18, 01:04 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Passport or state ID work for that.
Old 04-04-18, 01:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Passport or state ID work for that.
Read the post that prompted the response.
The unsure poster asked "and not sure what else i would need an ID for ..." presumably because he doesn't have any or never found a need for it.
Old 04-04-18, 01:17 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Wow, yu try so hard to pick a fight and fail so badly.

I use my passport as required ... I keep it up to date.

If you had been able to follow the discussion, you would have seen that a poster was asking about the lack of address on a passport.

I know it is hard to read all those words and make sense of them. i will help you if you ask.
Old 04-04-18, 01:19 PM
Maelochs

Local store won't take checks without an address on ID that matches address on check. Voting also requires address on ID.
As I said, i don't own a checkbook.

I haven't volunteered to work an election since the 1990s, but I think a bill in the person's name with an address is enough. electric bill works, for instance.

I vote by mail anyway.
Old 04-04-18, 02:01 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
The temptation to cheat at car light must be the same kind if thing as the temptation to run a thread off the rails... It would seem some people just can't control themselves as well as they think, sort of like me jumping into my truck to get coffee instead of riding my bicycle.
Old 04-04-18, 02:01 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I haven't volunteered to work an election since the 1990s, but I think a bill in the person's name with an address is enough. electric bill works, for instance.

I vote by mail anyway.
Bill with address works only with another authorized ID with photo. So a bill and passport works. But a bill and an expired DL does not.
I typically vote by mail too, but if you miss out on one election you have to reapply which is not always obvious until it is too late.
Old 04-04-18, 02:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I use my passport as required ... I keep it up to date.
Got it, when you are sure what you need an ID for you use your passport.

Of course you could use your DL if you found a need for ID when you weren't carrying your passport.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-04-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 05:29 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
It would seem some people just can't control themselves as well as they think, sort of like me jumping into my truck to get coffee instead of riding my bicycle.
Have you tried one of these? It seems to work as well as a truck for coffee, and it might even use a little less energy. It seems you can also get your coffee without putting on a shirt, which is an added bonus.
Old 04-04-18, 05:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Do people still write checks?

Around here, to vote... the ballot shows up in one's mailbox. One fills it out, then can stamp and drop back in the mailbox, or seal and put in the official ballot box without a stamp (like a mailbox, but white).

No ID check needed.
Old 04-04-18, 07:16 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Have you tried one of these? It seems to work as well as a truck for coffee, and it might even use a little less energy. It seems you can also get your coffee without putting on a shirt, which is an added bonus.
WOW, aren't you the thread starter..? I seem to have been about the only respondent to your well, "apparently", basically "stupid" Q, about "Temptation to cheat on car light" Pretty well everyone else has ppoo ppood it... as a TOTALY dumb thread. I have actually tried to answer your premise as to what would constitute a temptation for me to cheat on MY ideal of car light...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-04-18 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 08:02 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
WOW, aren't you the thread starter..? I seem to have been about the only respondent to your well, "apparently", basically "stupid" Q, about "Temptation to cheat on car light" Pretty well everyone else has ppoo ppood it... as a TOTALY dumb thread. I have actually tried to answer your premise as to what would constitute a temptation for me to cheat on MY ideal of car light...
I'm sorry my post offended you. I was in a lighthearted mood and was looking for a gif of a coffee percolator because your post made me think of how much machine a truck is for the purpose of drinking coffee. When I saw that gif, I found it funny so I posted it. I did, however, appreciate that you were actually responding in the spirit of the thread question. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Old 04-04-18, 08:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Around here, to vote... the ballot shows up in one's mailbox. One fills it out, then can stamp and drop back in the mailbox, or seal and put in the official ballot box without a stamp (like a mailbox, but white).

No ID check needed.
I avoid paying a surcharge on my property taxes by writing a check, rather than plastic or electronic transfer, also useful for sending money by mail.
Old 04-04-18, 08:31 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I fear that it may take more than that with the advent of the federal real ID law.
Old 04-04-18, 09:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
How so? I got my new ID card after a six year hiatus (lost a wallet) and had little problem getting it.

My real regret was not asking for the school package of 1x2s, 4x5s and 8x10" glossies, I looked very good and mom hasn't had a new picture of me since 2000.
Old 04-04-18, 09:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

No ID check needed.
I drop mine off at the library drop box!

The only reason I needed a state ID card was because Congress passed a law that said I need to prove my ID, and I only needed it ONCE, soooo...since all the area bars know I was born in the 1960s and don't drink anyhow, I had to spend nearly $45 to go to my tellers one time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.