Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

I Just Stole a Catrike!

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

I Just Stole a Catrike!

Old 04-28-18, 05:35 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I Just Stole a Catrike!

So I'm browsing Craigslist while sipping my morning coffee, and lo and behold this Villager comes up for sale for... wait for it...

$189.00

I had to rub my eyes and looks again. It said that it was posted 20 minutes ago. I immediately pounded off an email with my phone number and to please call me, blah blah blah.

She called me 20 minutes later, and I reconfirmed that the price was $189 and merrily said yes.

So here we are.

The pic was lifted from the CL ad, because its too dark to take good pics here right now. I'll post them once its been cleaned up.

The story on this bike is that these people have an adult son with autism, and bought this trike thinking that he might like it. He rode it for 30 seconds and didn't like it and its been sitting in their garage ever since. Other than being dirty, its in tip top shape. Like I said, I'll clean it up and get some clear pics. This one was lifted from the CL ad and expanded a little.
Old 05-04-18, 02:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Congrats! The seller probably obtained it through some program to help autistic kids, and didn't know how much they cost new. And no bike should cost more than $300, right?
Old 05-07-18, 08:01 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, you bought it for what, 10% of retail?

I wonder how she came up with the figure of $189.00. It could have just as easily been $195, or $177.30 to cover some expense.
Old 05-08-18, 05:16 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Congrats! The seller probably obtained it through some program to help autistic kids, and didn't know how much they cost new. And no bike should cost more than $300, right?
That's a good point. They probably never even new the MSRP.
Old 05-08-18, 05:22 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Recumbomatic
Oh, you bought it for what, 10% of retail?

I wonder how she came up with the figure of $189.00. It could have just as easily been $195, or $177.30 to cover some expense.

Apologies for not getting pics. I've been a one-man show the past few weeks remodeling our kitchen. I did clean the bike up a little bit and I'll post pics as soon as I can. The bike is so new, the factory chain lube is still clear and clean - not all black and dirty.

I thought that the $189 was because these people where a little quirky, which they were, but now that you mentioned the expense thing, that may me true also.

I took her for a ride, and right off I blew out the top end of the gear range and that was on a bumpy road. If I keep it, I may have to swap out gearing.
Old 05-11-18, 02:07 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@NoControl - some people don’t necessarily desire money for things. For example, I sold 2 Raleigh Twenty folders yesterday and gave the gentleman some Raleigh Twenty specifc components for free. Just because. I have a brother, on the other hand, who is always on the lookout for what’s in it for him. He won’t do anything, even for family unless he gets something.

I gave a fully overhauled 1984 Trek 420 mixte to a woman who posted on Nextdoor. She was tall & has MS, and needed a bike that fit. She loved the bike and I hope my kindness will translate into more kindness in the world.
Old 05-11-18, 02:50 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@NoControl - some people don’t necessarily desire money for things. For example, I sold 2 Raleigh Twenty folders yesterday and gave the gentleman some Raleigh Twenty specifc components for free. Just because. I have a brother, on the other hand, who is always on the lookout for what’s in it for him. He won’t do anything, even for family unless he gets something.

I gave a fully overhauled 1984 Trek 420 mixte to a woman who posted on Nextdoor. She was tall & has MS, and needed a bike that fit. She loved the bike and I hope my kindness will translate into more kindness in the world.
Good thoughts. I usually toss in a couple "deal sweeteners" when I do some trading. I doubt that anyone who has ever made a deal with me walked away feeling a pinch. I work on my barber's bikes for free, and although he does not like to take money from me for the haircuts, I pay him all the same. We've all got to keep our karma round and smooth - not jaggedy and rough. Okay then. [/preach]
Old 05-20-18, 07:51 AM
Rebeltrailrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.. And I thought I scored a deal!

Wtg.. I snagged my 2012 Catrike Trail with extras that included a TerraTrike hitch hauler for 550.00. Of course not for nothing but, like your villager here, my trail is an older model that we can't really determine our deal by comparing them to the 2018 models msrp alone. However, trikes remain a niche' market that doesnt seem to devalue models as quickly as two-wheel bikes.
Honestly I place no trust in any "blue book" type guide that trys to put a dollar value on the trikes. How could they possibly appraise properly any one model with so few solid years of established product records and so many variables in "markets" internationally. So I guess I'm saying it remains a sellers market.But just my opinion. We both did well but ya got my deal beat I think!
Btw.. I'm guessing this forum probably doesnt permit comments of a religious nature otherwise I might share my honest thoughts on man made things like "karma" and "joojoo"... Besides I don't suspect any particular belief system was in your decision making process when deciding to buy your new trike!
Respectfully,
Rebeltrailrider
Old 05-20-18, 08:12 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Rebeltrailrider
Wtg.. I snagged my 2012 Catrike Trail with extras that included a TerraTrike hitch hauler for 550.00. Of course not for nothing but, like your villager here, my trail is an older model that we can't really determine our deal by comparing them to the 2018 models msrp alone. However, trikes remain a niche' market that doesnt seem to devalue models as quickly as two-wheel bikes.
Honestly I place no trust in any "blue book" type guide that trys to put a dollar value on the trikes. How could they possibly appraise properly any one model with so few solid years of established product records and so many variables in "markets" internationally. So I guess I'm saying it remains a sellers market.But just my opinion. We both did well but ya got my deal beat I think!
Btw.. I'm guessing this forum probably doesnt permit comments of a religious nature otherwise I might share my honest thoughts on man made things like "karma" and "joojoo"... Besides I don't suspect any particular belief system was in your decision making process when deciding to buy your new trike!
Respectfully,
Rebeltrailrider
Welcome to BF.

Karma is but a river upon which I surf.
Old 05-24-18, 11:59 AM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bought this (with about 100 miles on it) from a former co-worker who had bought it, but had not ridden it in years:

$300.00
Old 05-24-18, 01:24 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by bikingbill
I bought this (with about 100 miles on it) from a former co-worker who had bought it, but had not ridden it in years:

$300.00
That's not a bad deal at all. How does it ride, Bill? Was there any learning curve? I had a Rans V-rex that I absolutely hated. It felt like I was going to crash at any second and that feeling never went away.
Old 05-24-18, 06:16 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoControl
That's not a bad deal at all. How does it ride, Bill? Was there any learning curve? I had a Rans V-rex that I absolutely hated. It felt like I was going to crash at any second and that feeling never went away.
I have a Baccetta Strada before that ... Bacchetta's are docile. I can climb crazy hills at 2.8mph easily. I can descend at 50+ mph without drama.

The new bike (Giro 26) has disc brakes and I needed them. The seat is a RANS seat (I'm a BIG boy) from my Strada that I bought in 2004. I built the cargo box.

I've been mainly riding Recumbents since 1994, although for the last few months it's been a Brompton from Monday to Friday.
Old 05-24-18, 07:32 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

thanks, @bikingbill

I think that if I can get my butt planted on the right 2-wheel recumbent then I will probably kiss all the DFs goodbye... naaahhhh! I love all bikes.

Still, recumbents nag away at me. I'm haunted by them.
Old 05-26-18, 06:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbill

I wasn't paying much attention when you posted this, but ...

Is that Coroplast???
Old 05-30-18, 05:01 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I wasn't paying much attention when you posted this, but ...

Is that Coroplast???
Yes, I've been making these for 20+ years. I finally figured out how to fold one out of a single piece without fuss.

I use a dry-wall edging tool with a rubber hammer to 'crush' it along the folds. That's all one piece + the lid.