Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comfort Bike: Motobecane vs. Giant vs. Fuji Brands

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 04:36 AM
ck1224

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a comfort bike and I like these bikes I have come across so far looking at comfort bikes on various websites: Motobecane (BD website) Jubilee DLX or FS models, Giant Sedona DX disc, or Fuji Crosstown 1.3. Anyone have any input on these brands or particular models? Besides the three different brands, I guess there are disc vs. rim brakes and one full suspension model (Motobecane Jubilee FS) vs. front suspension with seat post suspension / comfortable seats on the other models. I"m 6' 1" 177 lbs riding around on bumpy Houston streets or Bayou concrete trails or light dirt trails, etc. for exercise, fun, and comfort.
Old 05-13-18, 05:18 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! I would definitely test ride anything before buying. You may or may not like the suspension fork, you may or may not like a suspension seat post, and any one bike may not fit you quite well or you might just not like something about how it rides. Do you have bike shops local to you where you could get on a few different bikes and test ride? You mentioned the Giant Sedona, look also at the Giant Cypress. And then, Trek's competitor to the Cypress is the Verve, and Specialized's competitor is the Crossroads. If you have a local bike shop (or two) in your area, you'll likely find one or more of these brands to try. Good luck!
Old 05-13-18, 05:47 AM
ksywa

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2015 Troll, 2016 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option for comfort is rigid steel frame with a bit larger tyres - something in 1.75-2.3 range. Some Giants come with 50mm tyres - Toughroad comes to my mind. With a bit less air pressure that will give nice and plush ride, especially with your lightweight. I am a few ponds heavier - and all my bikes are rigid, with largest tyre of 2.3 on Karate Monkey.

Start with finding what size of bike will fit you - you are somewhere between medium (with possibly extended stem and a bit of back on seatpost) or right on the larger frame size.
Also look at used bikes market - once you know size, then try some not so beaten bikes folks are selling for cheap. Then upgrade.. and ride, ride, ride.

And - Welcome !
/ksywa
Old 05-13-18, 05:30 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Welcome!You mentioned the Giant Sedona, look also at the Giant Cypress. !
+1 on the Cypress - Love my Cypress DX! Does well on paved and light/rail trails. The upright position is REALLY comfortable for me. I was sold as soon as I took it out for a test ride at my local shop. I've put a bunch of miles on paved and dirt and its served me well so far.

I preferred the DX version as it has trigger shifters instead of the twisties...I've never had good luck with twistie shifters.
Old 05-14-18, 09:45 AM
ck1224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 442dude
+1 on the Cypress - Love my Cypress DX! Does well on paved and light/rail trails. The upright position is REALLY comfortable for me. I was sold as soon as I took it out for a test ride at my local shop. I've put a bunch of miles on paved and dirt and its served me well so far.

I preferred the DX version as it has trigger shifters instead of the twisties...I've never had good luck with twistie shifters.
Yeah, I saw these bikes also when I looked at Giant website. Seems like the main difference is disc brakes and a wider tire on the Sedona vs. the Cypress DX for $50 more.
Old 05-14-18, 09:49 AM
ck1224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, the Sedona (Giant) has a 2.3 in. tire whereas some of the others are 1.5 to 1.9 inch. I think I would like a wider tire 2 up to 3 in.(plus)
Old 05-14-18, 09:56 AM
ck1224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Specialized and Trek doesn't have front suspension and Trek is higher. I've heard from other people that some brands (Trek, maybe Specialized, etc.) are higher due to marketing and being well-known, advertising, etc. I'm sure they are nice bikes but I'm amazed how expensive some of these brands are, especially electric bikes compared to electric bikes by Juicedbikes and Radrover.
Old 05-14-18, 10:35 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Check out the Cypress DX, got my dad one for Fathers Day last year and it was a hit. Very comfy riding position and smooth rolling bike.
Old 05-16-18, 11:04 AM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How much and how long do you plan to ride? I only ask because I was heavily considering a bicycle of this type, as I didn't like the feel of steering on cruiser type bicycles (very little weight on front wheel) but wanted something comfortable to cruise around town on. These bicycles are perfect for this purpose but I ended up commuting 13 miles RT to work and I think I would have outgrown these comfort bicycles due to the fact that they are somewhat less efficient than true hybrids if you want to ride faster and longer. Just something to keep in mind, as these bikes typically have suspension seatposts and front suspension forks that sometimes can't be locked out. Good luck!
Old 05-17-18, 02:28 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Fuji either, I had one for quite a while, and they are just as good/better than the Giant, Trek, MB, etc, but for some reason they don't get the love here as the other "big three" do.
Old 05-18-18, 06:31 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl001
How much and how long do you plan to ride? I only ask because I was heavily considering a bicycle of this type, as I didn't like the feel of steering on cruiser type bicycles (very little weight on front wheel) but wanted something comfortable to cruise around town on. These bicycles are perfect for this purpose but I ended up commuting 13 miles RT to work and I think I would have outgrown these comfort bicycles due to the fact that they are somewhat less efficient than true hybrids if you want to ride faster and longer. Just something to keep in mind, as these bikes typically have suspension seatposts and front suspension forks that sometimes can't be locked out. Good luck!
I started cycling on a 2013 Giant Cypress and did outgrow it in about six months. I wanted something a bit more aggressive that I could ride longer on. It took another year, but I ended up with a 2016 Giant Escape 1. That was replaced with a 2018 Giant Escape Disc when the frame developed a crack.
Old 09-12-18, 08:22 AM
daveinoh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I started cycling on a 2013 Giant Cypress and did outgrow it in about six months. I wanted something a bit more aggressive that I could ride longer on. It took another year, but I ended up with a 2016 Giant Escape 1. That was replaced with a 2018 Giant Escape Disc when the frame developed a crack.
I currently ride a Cypress DX and my wife has a Specialized Cossroads. Can't say a bad thing about either except that the position is almost too upright for me. We are in the process of upgrading to Escapes for the same reason as jskash.

There is a huge difference between the Cypress DX and the regular version in terms of feel and quality IMO, my son has the non DX version and is happy to be upgrading to my DX as soon as I have my Escape 1.
Old 09-21-18, 11:09 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Motobecane is a brand name for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry. Not saying that is bad - look at the other names - only that a Trek from their stable would probably hold its value better and have wider support.