Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Drinking Water

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Drinking Water

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 08:19 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Drinking Water

Hamza Farrukh, the Goldman Sachs employee who wants to solve the global water crisis - Business Insider

I was reading this article about a Goldman-Sachs executive who wants to invest in drilling deep water wells and installing solar-powered pumps in Ethiopia and elsewhere people have to walk a long way for water. It occurred to me that often when I take a long hike or bike ride in an unfamiliar area, it can be tricky getting access to good drinking water. In fact, I recently gave up on a hike after getting dehydrated through a sunny section of trail before arriving at a water tap only to find out the water was chlorinated. Although that was in an undeveloped area, I have also taken long hikes through cities where I had to refill my water bottle in store bathrooms because of the lack of public water fountains.

It is strange that some areas have lots of public water fountains while others seem to be actively deterring 'free loaders' from rehydrating if they're not paying customers. Do you think being able to walk/bike around wherever you want without having to pay for drinking water should be a right? Or do you think it is fair to expect pedestrians/cyclists to pay for water because it costs resources and labor to establish and maintain a source of drinking water and a fountain for public use?

If people should pay for their drinking water, what do you think about a project to supply poor people with drinking water like the one linked at the beginning of this post? Do you think it is different to provide free drinking water to people living poor and car-free in Ethiopia than it is to do so in the developed world where it is theoretically easier to make money to spend on water? Further, with the cost of water so low from most municipal water utilities, do you think it is legitimate to withhold tap water access in order to sell much more expensive bottled water? or should people be able to buy tap water at rates comparable to the wholesale price, e.g. a penny per gallon or something like that?

Finally, has uncertainty about drinking water sources ever deterred you from going somewhere car-free? Do you plan your hiking/biking routes according to water resupply? Or do you just head out and assume you'll be able to get water wherever you need it?
Old 06-17-18, 09:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts

Old 06-17-18, 10:35 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Yawn. Yet another P&R Lite Trojan Horse thread started in LCF.

Oh well. Carry on.
Old 06-17-18, 05:28 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by badger1
Yawn. Yet another P&R Lite Trojan Horse thread started in LCF.

Oh well. Carry on.
How is drinking water not an LCF issue? If you are walking/biking, you need water. You also need water if you're driving, of course, but then you're just sitting and you have plenty of room to carry plenty of water with you, and/or you pass through water-poor areas faster than if you're walking/biking.
Old 06-17-18, 05:32 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
If people should pay for their drinking water, what do you think about a project to supply poor people with drinking water like the one linked at the beginning of this post? Do you think it is different to provide free drinking water to people living poor and car-free in Ethiopia than it is to do so in the developed world where it is theoretically easier to make money to spend on water?
Hey! You said it! OT!
Old 06-17-18, 08:02 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
How is drinking water not an LCF issue? If you are walking/biking, you need water. You also need water if you're driving, of course, but then you're just sitting and you have plenty of room to carry plenty of water with you, and/or you pass through water-poor areas faster than if you're walking/biking.
Simples. I applied my critical thinking skills, the fruit of an extensive liberal arts education and subsequent years spent professing same, to a reading of the rather unsubtle sub-text of your original post, and came to what seems to me a rather obvious conclusion.

Just think of me as reaching out to you with my enlightenment, as those of us who have been able to free ourselves of the shackles of conventional thinking are morally obliged to do.

But never mind; as I said, carry on. I know you will.
Old 06-18-18, 06:04 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by badger1
Simples. I applied my critical thinking skills, the fruit of an extensive liberal arts education and subsequent years spent professing same, to a reading of the rather unsubtle sub-text of your original post, and came to what seems to me a rather obvious conclusion.

Just think of me as reaching out to you with my enlightenment, as those of us who have been able to free ourselves of the shackles of conventional thinking are morally obliged to do.

But never mind; as I said, carry on. I know you will.
Stop badgering me about things about me and go away if you don't want to discuss the topic of water. I explain my POV on critical thinking etc. and you and others are free to make sense of what I say or not, but you don't need to mock me for it. I disagree with many people's perspective but I don't waste post after post mocking them. It spoils discussion and it is the reason I gave up on P&R.
Old 06-18-18, 07:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Stop badgering me about things about me and go away if you don't want to discuss the topic of water. I explain my POV on critical thinking etc. and you and others are free to make sense of what I say or not, but you don't need to mock me for it. I disagree with many people's perspective but I don't waste post after post mocking them. It spoils discussion and it is the reason I gave up on P&R.
Perhaps if you didn't consider any and all disagreement with your opinions, proposals, and schemes as spoiled discussion you wouldn't be in such a state of angst.
Old 06-18-18, 07:15 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Perhaps if you didn't consider any and all disagreement with your opinions, proposals, and schemes as spoiled discussion you wouldn't be in such a state of angst.
The thread has a topic and the topic is not me. All I'm asking is that people discuss topics instead of me. I don't even mind when tangential topics flow from discussion of the thread topic, but that is different than shifting the topic to me or some other poster.
Old 06-18-18, 07:32 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Please stay on topic. If you cannot stay on topic, please move along to another thread.
Old 06-18-18, 07:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

When walking, bicycling or driving, a rational person has to consider the limitations of his choice in transportation. That would include carrying enough water to safely and comfortably make the trip through "water-poor areas" to include traveling on the subway, bus, bicycle or foot.

Expecting the rest of humanity to provide a convenient free unchlorinated "good water" fountain for you whenever you are thirsty wherever you happen to be, just because you do not wish to recognize the reality of the limitation of your choice in travel in combination with an unwillingness to pay for service or products? Not likely but dream on.
Old 06-18-18, 08:10 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When walking, bicycling or driving, a rational person has to consider the limitations of his choice in transportation. That would include carrying enough water to safely and comfortably make the trip through "water-poor areas" to include traveling on the subway, bus, bicycle or foot.
Do you think that drinking water facilities are generally more limited than they would be if the expectation was that more people would get around by foot/bike instead of driving? Another way to think of this is to ask what would happen if it was difficult for people to get drinking water in all the places they are accustomed to doing so, such as stores, airports, etc. As long as the majority of people get access to water fountains where they expect them, any shortages can be dismissed; but if people were suddenly expected to carry bottled water with them in places where they expect water fountains, there would be widespread complaints.

Another example of cultural norms biased in favor of the status quo, I think.

Expecting the rest of humanity to provide a convenient free unchlorinated "good water" fountain for you whenever you are thirsty wherever you happen to be, just because you do not wish to recognize the reality of the limitation of your choice in travel in combination with an unwillingness to pay for service or products? Not likely but dream on.
So do you think initiatives like the one linked in the OP to provide drinking water in Ethiopia where people walk for hours to get water are misguided?
Old 06-18-18, 08:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
As a long distance cyclist, and one who has done all-day hikes ... generally speaking, I attempt to plan ahead a little bit and make sure I've got enough water with me for some time/distance. Generally speaking, I follow a long distance cyclist guideline ... if you're down to the last third of your first bottle, and you've reached a water source ... fill up. If I know I'll be cycling into the night where there will be no services, I buy an extra bottle or two and tuck them into my Carradice.

Occasionally I might make an error, but not too often ... I tend to carry slightly more than I think I'll need.

I use a calculation.

Assuming that ideally we should drink one 750 ml bottle of water every 1 to 1.5 hours depending on weather, exertion, etc. ...

Assuming that I've got 2 litres of water on board (which I usually do to start with), and I've usually drunk at least 500 ml before I begin, 2 litres could conceivably last me 4 hours.

Cycling at approx. 20 km/h, in 4 hours I should cover about 80 km. Chances are I will encounter a town with services within 80 km, in daylight hours. Night, however, can be a different story ... and sometimes even in the day, towns can roll up the sidewalks early in the afternoon. So there are times when I do have to be prepared for no services in, say, 120 km. And I'll adjust the amount of water I carry accordingly.

Last edited by Machka; 06-18-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 08:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I don't mind paying for water when I'm out & about on my bike, especially if it is refrigerated
Old 06-18-18, 08:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I don't mind paying for water when I'm out & about on my bike, especially if it is refrigerated
Absolutely!
Old 06-18-18, 11:35 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
Absolutely!
What the Goldman-Sachs executive in the OP link seems to be concerned with is the sustainability of bottled-water deliveries. That article says that water-aide is usually given by bringing a supply of bottled water to a remote area. This is basically what you're paying for when you buy bottled water (refrigerated or not) on the road.

What this executive wants to do is have wells with solar pumps that make it possible for people to get drinking water without bottled water deliveries to the area. Imo, that is a great idea and far better than relying on deliveries, which require (motor)vehicles, labor time, create plastic bottle waste, etc.
Old 06-18-18, 12:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

What the heck does a Goldman-Sachs executive's investment plans for drilling deep water wells and installing solar-powered pumps in Ethiopia have to do with Living Car Free? Or anyone else's "concern" about the sustainability of bottled-water deliveries in Ethiopia or anywhere else?

Sounds like Fooish stuff to me.
Old 06-18-18, 12:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I know all the local watering holes.

The one thing I find annoying is that the city tends to shut off the water from about November to April, as if the needs for water just vanishes (although it is often reduced in the winter).

Restroom access is also important, and equally annoying when the cities choose to close, or not maintain restrooms.

Or inconvenience stores that have no public restrooms (which I will not buy products from).

Touring can be a bit of a problem, but if it is a repeat route, one carries plenty of water, and learns where one can replenish, perhaps including a couple of creeks.

One thing that I find annoying are fountains designed to be inconvenient to refill bottles from. Portland likes to have bubblers.
Old 06-18-18, 12:23 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
One has to wonder if the OP can grasp what the topic of the Link we were supposed to read was. It mentioned a world water crisis. Not just a local crisis.

The people living in much much of the arid land all over the earth have seen the water tables in their area dry up or diminish drastically. It is doubtful that people wanted to live where most of their days were spent searching for water.

Many groups and charities have been working on this for years and it isn’t a LCF issue even if someone wants to pretend it is. It is a global issue dealing directly with the impact of increased pressure of populations living in areas of limited water sources

It is not a matter of simply going to a place and jamming a pipe in the ground and water magically is pumped to the surface because there is a unlimited supply under everyone’s feet. The earth is not a giant water bladder. Some places simply have run out of water and bladder or bottled water delivery is the only solution at this time.

To attach the wants if someone that simply wants water along a planned route because they don’t want to carry a Camelback making a world water crisis is simply an attempt to bring a geopolitical discussion to the LCF forum in my opinion.

If this is in doubt simply look to the US and see what caused the great dust bowl disaster. The problem isn’t water bottles and wanting fountains within walking distance.

Old 06-18-18, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
meanwhile, in Michigan, they run the water fountains constantly, because if they don't, the lead level is too high. that's apparently cheaper than fixing the pipes. homeowners in the area, are a whole other story ...
Old 06-18-18, 03:19 PM
mtb_addict

Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Water is a human right

Human right to water and sanitation
Old 06-18-18, 03:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
It is not a matter of simply going to a place and jamming a pipe in the ground and water magically is pumped to the surface because there is a unlimited supply under everyone’s feet. The earth is not a giant water bladder. Some places simply have run out of water and bladder or bottled water delivery is the only solution at this time.
In most places, there is water... somewhere. But, the shallow water is relatively clean. The deep water may be briny, or mixed with oil (ok, that may be good for some, but bad for drinking).

The benefit, of course, of briny deep water is that it may be cheaper to purify it than to transport clean water from distant places.

In some places, land subsidence, and sink holes are related to ground water removal, and lowering the water tables. So, take out too much water, and one has bigger problems.

And, of course, Oklahoma has removed oil and water from one layer, and put it back in a different layer, causing a growing problem of earthquakes.

It is also unclear how quick the deep water replenishes. There may be a sea level water table in areas. But, draining water in one place could have significant impacts elsewhere. For example, draining springs in vital desert oasis.

Last edited by CliffordK; 06-18-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 03:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Can someone with a clue explain the relevance of the topic about extracting water from underneath the surface of the land to the purpose of the Living Car free list (as delineated in the list header), or what justifies its introduction on this list in another barely disguised P&R rant?
Old 06-18-18, 04:00 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I go on camping trips where it would be hard to pack all the water I'll need. But there's almost always springs if not a river where I can get all the water I want for free - just need to bring a filter. I don't consider that a car free thing. It's more about bicycle touring and has been heavily covered on that forum as I recall.
Old 06-18-18, 04:04 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
meanwhile, in Michigan, they run the water fountains constantly, because if they don't, the lead level is too high. that's apparently cheaper than fixing the pipes. homeowners in the area, are a whole other story ...
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Michigan, clean water gushes out of the ground continuously on its own due to ground water pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.