Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Getting back on the Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 10:27 AM
ManInBlack

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1985 Ross Hi-Tech Mt. Hood

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 47, 6'0" and 355lbs (down from 393 2 years ago), and back when I was about to turn 40 I was on a severe diet to drop 100lbs before my 40th birthday.

One of my goal/reward moments was dropping below 350, when I bought myself a Surly Long Haul Trucker with 700c wheels/tires. This is before they came out with the disc Trucker.

I rode that bike a good bit for several years but it's sat unused since we moved across town. Now I'm in a neighborhood and area that I'd love to ride but I need new tires and tubes, and really would like to get a more comfortable saddle and padded shorts. I've been having a hard time finding what I need. Local bike shop wants me to try a Terratrike Rover recumbent trike instead of working with me to order what I want for the Surly. I'd rather make what I have work--big investment in this LHT.

So, I'd like to find some 700x50 (or 50-622, or 29x2.0") tires that would work well for paved streets and gravel trails. Bike came with 700x37 Continental tires. I have been looking for Schwalbe Big Apple Plus or something similar for a little more cushion in the ride, but I want to keep fairly good / low rolling resistance.

Also have been reading threads about saddles...wasn't there a new saddle design / tech announced sometime recently that had a special kind of gel that could move but in limited range to better support the rider? I could've sworn it was one of the "Selle" brands but now I can't dig it up online. I know saddles are very personal, but I figure I can rule out a bunch of them based on my weight and size alone.

Shorts are incredibly difficult to find. I wear something like 52x30 jeans and at one time had a pair of bike shorts that fit, but they fell apart long ago. I had been considering getting some bibs with built-in chamois pad and wearing them under cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-24-18, 11:20 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I would highly recommend the Vitesse EX, which comes in a 48.

The tread is very subtle, but grips great in packed dirt/gravel. The sidewalls are very supple, giving a smooth ride. Even in 38s, a railroad tie bridge was no big deal.

https://www.modernbike.com/soma-supp...48---black-tan

Old 07-24-18, 03:46 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
48-50 is pretty wide. Will the LHT fit tires that wide?

If you've not been riding for a while, is there a reason you don't either ride the tires you have, or replace them with something similar?
Old 07-24-18, 04:41 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Most "gravel" type tires will range from 38-42c, some would be outside of that zone but not up to full 50mm

https://www.jensonusa.com/WTB-Riddler-700X45-Tire

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ge...l-tires-51877/

I'm running Hutchinson Overides in 38c tubeless, they are nice and fast on pave with firm traction in the dirt
https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/c...ide-1-standard
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 07-25-18, 11:39 AM
ManInBlack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

If you've not been riding for a while, is there a reason you don't either ride the tires you have, or replace them with something similar?
No real reason except they're hard as rocks over local streets and the tubes have developed pinholes, so I was going to do something else regardless. The width is to get more air volume and "suspension" or "cushion" effect. 50mm wide are supposed to fit the LHT without fenders. Most "700c x 50" tires don't actually end up being 50mm wide but somewhere around 47-48 actual width.
Old 07-25-18, 12:30 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
I would highly recommend the Vitesse EX, which comes in a 48.

The tread is very subtle, but grips great in packed dirt/gravel. The sidewalls are very supple, giving a smooth ride. Even in 38s, a railroad tie bridge was no big deal.

https://www.modernbike.com/soma-supp...48---black-tan
I second that. I am just under 300lb and I run 42mm Supple Vitesses on Double Cross. Cazadero if you want knobby tires.
Panaracer Pasela exists in 38mm and can be pumped to 90 psi max. I have 32mm Paselas and run them at 90psi, they give surprisingly nice ride. It may be a slightly cheaper option. Panasonic makes the tires for Soma anyway.
Maybe Conti Speed Ride for some tread.

Some puncture resistance/rolling resistance tests: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

Marathon Supreme and Marathon Almotion are available in 50-622 (there may be different versions with different rolling resistance, be careful about it).
Old 07-25-18, 01:21 PM
ManInBlack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much! Sounds like the Vitesse is a good pick for tires, slightly cheaper and more available than I found the Marathon Supreme or Almotion, although they do have enviable stats for rolling resistance.
Old 07-25-18, 05:59 PM
csport

Originally Posted by ManInBlack
Thanks very much! Sounds like the Vitesse is a good pick for tires, slightly cheaper and more available than I found the Marathon Supreme or Almotion, although they do have enviable stats for rolling resistance.
Soma's tires are similar to Compass tires, they both are made by Panaracer according to Soma/Compass specs, and they are lighter than Paselas. Rolling resistance of Compass tires in the test is more or less the same as that of Marathon Almotion/Supreme, the same is probably true for Soma's Supple Vitesse. Schwalbe may slightly outdo them in terms of puncture protection.
Not that I am trying to spread panic, but what is the internal size of the rims on LHT? I know its wheels used to come with DH19 rims for some time, internal width of which is 18mm. It may be too low for a 50mm supple tire (not "plus" touring tires LHT has) run at low pressure. I may be wrong here since I have only run 42mm tires on 19mm rims.
Old 07-26-18, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There is a decal on the frame that reads "Fatties Fit Fine."

But yeah, 50c is big street and gravel trail riding. I use my LHT for fully loaded touring, both on pavement and unpaved roads, including hilly/mountainous unpaved roads. Never used anything other than the Conti Top Touring II (or whatever they are called) that came stock. They are labeled 35c, but Conti notes on its web site that the tire is actually 37c.
Old 07-26-18, 08:31 AM
ManInBlack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Per Surly's own website and a Q&A about maximum width tire usable with the Long Haul Trucker (non-disc):
700c LHT- 42mm with fenders, 45mm without. 26" LHT- 2.1 with or without fenders.

Followed immediately by someone saying they've run Schwalbe Big Bens in 700c x 50 with no clearance issues.
Old 07-26-18, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Per Surly's own website and a Q&A about maximum width tire usable with the Long Haul Trucker (non-disc):
700c LHT- 42mm with fenders, 45mm without. 26" LHT- 2.1 with or without fenders.

Followed immediately by someone saying they've run Schwalbe Big Bens in 700c x 50 with no clearance issues.
But see csport's comment above about rim width. My vintage (2011) LHT came with Alex Adventurer rims. That has changed. You need to look into whether the wheel itself can handle what you are planning.
Old 07-26-18, 12:06 PM
ManInBlack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha. Mine is from 2010, and also has the Alex Adventurer rims. I'll have to go measure or find the label on them to know for sure the width.
Old 07-26-18, 03:01 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I measured the clearance in the rear on my LHT (2012?) and with an actual tire width of 36 mm, I had 14 mm of clearance on each side.
I'll probably go up to 42 mm when I wear this set out.
Old 07-27-18, 06:41 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
I measured the clearance in the rear on my LHT (2012?) and with an actual tire width of 36 mm, I had 14 mm of clearance on each side.
I'll probably go up to 42 mm when I wear this set out.
Do you have a 26" LHT or 700c?
Old 07-27-18, 09:44 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Do you have a 26" LHT or 700c?
Good question. I have a 700c version. I should of thought to put that in the initial reply.
Old 07-27-18, 04:01 PM
csport

Mine is from 2010, and also has the Alex Adventurer rims.
Niagara and TreeFortBikes have the specs:
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Alex-A...hined-Sidewall
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...ilver-sidewall
Internal rim width is 17.5.
Article by Jan Heine on tire pressure: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/...ure-take-home/
On pavement, your pressure needs to be high enough that the tire does not collapse during hard cornering.
The minimum safe pressure is higher for more supple casings. Stiff casings hold up the bike more, and thus require less air pressure.
He is the guy behind Compass tires, which Supple Vitesse is more or less a clone of. Their walls are super thin. I would be wary of mounting supple 50mm tire on these rims. 640kb 42mm ought to be enough for everyone.
You can even try a 38mm Pasela (non ProTite), apparently Amazon has them for $15: https://www.amazon.com/Panaracer-Pas.../dp/B00GOVOR62
Old 08-18-18, 11:33 AM
DumbPartsGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a great bike. New tires/tubes, possibly a saddle and some short liners will get you there and keep money in your wallet.

I have a disc trucker and weight weight in around 290lbs. I think the stock contacts are great. Being a little heavier, they have some Top Contacts that come in wider sizes. I would stick with a touring type tire for the stouter side walls, especially if changing tires and tubes is a problem for you. Watch out with Continental... their German made tires are great. The rest... meh.

I bought a steamroller a year or so after the trucker. The stock tires... did not work. I put touring tires on it and learned a valuable lesson in watching weight of tires. Going from 280 gram to 600 gram tires on a fixed gear was miserable. Gears will help... but keep weight in mind. Between that and saddle pain on that bike (despite close geometry and the exact same saddle) I almost sold it.

I bought new tires, short liners for longer trips, and a freewheel for it and love it again. $120 for all that and I love the bike again.

Liners might be hard to find (I think pearl izumis go to 46) but it’s a lot cheaper than playing the $50-$120/pop gamble on saddles. If you can go 8-10 miles with little discomfort that sidle is probably fine. I had tried some fancy saddles on the trucker to avoid liners for 24+ mile rides and that was a huge waste of time and money. Thankfully my LBS let me try a couple and had a great return policy.

Just my personal experience. I hope it helps.
Old 08-22-18, 06:05 PM
Jeremiesmith77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Since we have several LHT Clydes here, did you find the stock wheels held up well or did you have to get custom wheels made? I Am 6’5, 325 lbs and considering buying a disc LHT
Old 08-27-18, 10:01 AM
ManInBlack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremiesmith77
Since we have several LHT Clydes here, did you find the stock wheels held up well or did you have to get custom wheels made? I Am 6’5, 325 lbs and considering buying a disc LHT
I didn't have any problems with the stock wheels and tires at 350lbs and below. I didn't do anything radical or harsh, just on-road riding. As you can see from the thread, I'm working on getting some wider / higher air volume tires for the shock absorption properties they have, not because the factory rims/tires have a deficiency.
Old 08-29-18, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jeremiesmith77
The bike is designed and equipped for fully-loaded touring. I am about 210 lbs. I have taken it on very rough, unpaved hilly/mountainous roads with as much as probably 55 lbs. of racks, panniers and gear. And I usually ride the stock Conti Top Contact II tires at max recommended pressure (85 psi). Have never broken a spoke. Minor truing on a couple of occasions in 7+ years is all. I should note that I have an older model with different stock rims (Alex Adventurer), but I have no reason to believe Surly would equip its signature (and popular) touring model with anything weaker.