Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for a road/gravel bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 05:51 PM
Grebs

Bikes: Specialized rock hopper 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. Big guy here about 6'4" 360 pounds and dropping thankfully. I use to ride a lot but haven't in years. I have a specialized rock hopper 29er. That I rode a lot on the rowpath. Sometimes on trails when I was thinner.
now I'm looking for a other bike. I figure I'll use the rock hopper for if I lose enough weight to get back on the off road trails. Looking for something i can rude on the great towpaths around me and eventually some roads. interested in "as specialized call them on there Web site", an adventure & gravel bike. Something like a diverge. Or the looks of that type of bike
bottom line is, am I just too fat for something like that? I've just begun research.
Old 08-18-18, 07:09 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Helps to give a price range.

I can tell you my Home - Black Mountain Cycles MCD is STOUT and he will make wheels that stand up to a clyde.

around $2500, reasonable well equipped with SRAM.
Old 08-18-18, 07:35 PM
Grebs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say under $3000.00 but that's loaded. Computer, pedals and everything. I have shoes.
Old 08-19-18, 01:52 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
There’s plenty of hefty individuals on road bikes. Just get the right wheels and go
Old 08-19-18, 12:20 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grebs
Hi all. Big guy here about 6'4" 360 pounds and dropping thankfully. I use to ride a lot but haven't in years. I have a specialized rock hopper 29er. That I rode a lot on the rowpath. Sometimes on trails when I was thinner.
now I'm looking for a other bike. I figure I'll use the rock hopper for if I lose enough weight to get back on the off road trails. Looking for something i can rude on the great towpaths around me and eventually some roads. interested in "as specialized call them on there Web site", an adventure & gravel bike. Something like a diverge. Or the looks of that type of bike
bottom line is, am I just too fat for something like that? I've just begun research.
I ride a Diverge and started when I was about 300 lbs. Great bike. Honestly the deciding factor when I bought it was that you could fit wider tires than a Roubaix. I would think that most bikes that can fit wider tires would be candidates, after that it's budget and appeal.
Old 08-19-18, 02:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A touring bike, something like a Surly Disc Trucker, can take fatter tires will do fine on gravel. It will be heavier than a "gravel bike", but I think you'd want the extra stiffness that it brings.
Old 08-19-18, 03:48 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
A touring bike, something like a Surly Disc Trucker, can take fatter tires will do fine on gravel. It will be heavier than a "gravel bike", but I think you'd want the extra stiffness that it brings.
Almost any Surly is a good choice. They are built for punishment.
Old 08-19-18, 06:28 PM
Grebs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was at the local store today and test rode a trek checkpoint alr 5. It was nice. I could tell right away that it was a faster bike than I normally ride which are more of a mountain bike. The grips felt awesome. But the bike itself was nice but not omg I have to have it nice. I'm more of a specialized fan boy and was eyeballing the diverge comp. The ones on the rack was too small. They have my size and are putting it together for me to try. Then I'll do a side by side ride of them both. However the diverge is $1000 bucks more so I expect it to be better. But who knows.
No test is complete without a monkey wrench being thrown into fold. They are locating a specialized extra large stump jumper into the mix. Why? Because my real passion is more off roading. I'm trying to get more fit and lose weight for the off road single track trails. This is why I was actually looking at a gravel bike. I have a ton of flat tow path along the Erie Canal that I can ride on so it seems like it makes more sense to use a bike like the diverge while I'm losing weight. Guys at the store and even customers was saying the stump jumper would be just as capable. not as fast but still a great bike for both. I don't know if I could do many miles on a mountain bike. Even if it's high end. Maybe I'm over thinking it and either would be just fine?
I'm a little torn tho.
Old 08-19-18, 06:37 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im looking for either a Surly Midnight Special or buiding up a Soma Wolverine 3.0

Im 6'3" 325
Old 08-19-18, 06:55 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Grebs
Was at the local store today and test rode a trek checkpoint alr 5. It was nice. I could tell right away that it was a faster bike than I normally ride which are more of a mountain bike. The grips felt awesome. But the bike itself was nice but not omg I have to have it nice. I'm more of a specialized fan boy and was eyeballing the diverge comp. The ones on the rack was too small. They have my size and are putting it together for me to try. Then I'll do a side by side ride of them both. However the diverge is $1000 bucks more so I expect it to be better. But who knows.
No test is complete without a monkey wrench being thrown into fold. They are locating a specialized extra large stump jumper into the mix. Why? Because my real passion is more off roading. I'm trying to get more fit and lose weight for the off road single track trails. This is why I was actually looking at a gravel bike. I have a ton of flat tow path along the Erie Canal that I can ride on so it seems like it makes more sense to use a bike like the diverge while I'm losing weight. Guys at the store and even customers was saying the stump jumper would be just as capable. not as fast but still a great bike for both. I don't know if I could do many miles on a mountain bike. Even if it's high end. Maybe I'm over thinking it and either would be just fine?
I'm a little torn tho.
A better way to look at it, rather than miles, might be total hours spent on the bike. 2 hours on a hybrid bike and 2 hours on a mountains bike ought to be roughly the same workout benefit even if the number of miles covered is different. As long as the intensity is the same, it doesn't matter what you ride, really, as long as you enjoy it and the thing doesn't break down on you.
Old 08-28-18, 07:11 PM
Idak

Bikes: Felt Z70 and F30X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
There’s plenty of hefty individuals on road bikes. Just get the right wheels and go
Make sure your frame can handle wide tires to avoid pinch flats. I'm 280 and struggling with pinch flats using 25 mm tires.
Old 08-28-18, 07:31 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Idak
Make sure your frame can handle wide tires to avoid pinch flats. I'm 280 and struggling with pinch flats using 25 mm tires.
What pressures are you running? I typically run anywhere from 105 (25mm) up to 120PSI for racing and I've never had a pinch flat in my life, weighing anywhere from 310 down to 240lb
Old 08-28-18, 07:41 PM
Idak

Bikes: Felt Z70 and F30X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
What pressures are you running? I typically run anywhere from 105 (25mm) up to 120PSI for racing and I've never had a pinch flat in my life, weighing anywhere from 310 down to 240lb
I was getting pinch flats with some Vittoria tires that came on my bike at 120 in the rear. At 140 (10 over recommended), I had less. I'm running 120 now with Gatorskins, so far so good.