Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-assist Roadies

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-assist Roadies

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 11:28 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
e-assist Roadies

From BR today:

"Electric drive systems are now appearing on the holiest of holy bikes: the high-end performance road bike."
https://tinyurl.com/y9u4z7y6
Old 08-22-18, 04:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Lennard Zinn (and the art of ____bike maintenance) built one for himself with a nice Bosch motor and you cannot really go after him. He is not some random shmuck and the bike is really nice looking and if he had wanted to he could do the intube batteries from Bosch and really knock it up a notch. If he wasn't so damn tall I would ride that bike. Orbea does the Gain and Focus had the Project Y for a while. Honestly I cannot fault anyone for going electric. My shifting is electric on my road bike and so long as you aren't racing and cheating, go for it. However make sure the bike looks nice, ugly e-bikes are no longer needed with all the great integration out there.

Here is the article
https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738
Old 08-24-18, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A while ago they had a hidden in the (oversize, but not extraordinarily so) seat tube motor
which got a lot of press, because, it was so easily hidden , spawning the phrase "motor-doping".
Old 10-05-18, 11:17 AM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Lennard Zinn (and the art of ____bike maintenance) built one for himself with a nice Bosch motor and you cannot really go after him. He is not some random shmuck and the bike is really nice looking and if he had wanted to he could do the intube batteries from Bosch and really knock it up a notch. If he wasn't so damn tall I would ride that bike. Orbea does the Gain and Focus had the Project Y for a while. Honestly I cannot fault anyone for going electric. My shifting is electric on my road bike and so long as you aren't racing and cheating, go for it. However make sure the bike looks nice, ugly e-bikes are no longer needed with all the great integration out there.

Here is the article
https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738
Leave it to Mr Zinn to create exactly the e-bike I'm looking for. Since it seems unlikely Bosch will create a 'kit' anytime soon, what is the closest one can get to something like this using Bafang or similar parts?
Old 10-05-18, 11:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
Leave it to Mr Zinn to create exactly the e-bike I'm looking for. Since it seems unlikely Bosch will create a 'kit' anytime soon, what is the closest one can get to something like this using Bafang or similar parts?
Call or reach out to Lennard in some way. He might be able to make you one. Those kit motors won't come close to the quality and reliability of Bosch or Brose. That bike Lennard built was designed for that system it wasn't just a bolt on kit he threw on a bike.
Old 10-05-18, 03:39 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
My LBS has a Bianchi Aria, very sleek with the batteries encased in the down tube and a small rear hub motor. I constructed a 35 pound eMTB with a BBS02 (10 pounds) and 3.5 pound battery. Seems like a 30 pound road bike is possible with a very light donor bike. GNG is developing a five pound motor/controller. Eventually that should remove an additional five or so pounds.
Old 10-07-18, 10:15 AM
msbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the most interesting recent development in road ebikes is the fazua motor system developed in Germany and now available from several European bike companies. Very small and very light with a completely removal motor/battery. The battery is only 250 wh, but the target market seems to be roadies who are needing some help on hills. At the moment there appears to be very limited (if any) US distribution. Since it appears to be very "stealthly," I think this system has the potential to be gain real acceptance by roadies.

https://fazua.com/en/
Old 10-07-18, 10:26 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I can't wait for prices to come down. I was out driving w/my wife yesterday, on a route that I'd cycled the week before, which she'd never have been able to do because of the climbing. BUT if she had an e-bike, she could come too... she has always been against an e-bike, but it planted a seed in her mind, for sure.
Old 10-09-18, 04:47 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek and Cannondale have announced some Bosch powered electric-assist road bikes at Interbike. The Domane+ is the first carbon fiber electric assist road bike I’ve seen being offered in the US. The 38lb weight even means that lugging it up a flight of stairs wouldn’t be out of the question.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...Code=black_red

Last edited by Dunbar; 10-09-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 07:02 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Electric road bikes as well as hard tails ride 'dead' to me because of the extra weight. Only ebikes I like are the FS eMTBs.