Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trainers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 09:08 PM
chelseaa95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainers

Just wanting to see if anyone on here rides on trainers indoors? I am currently on a cheap one that I got from Amazon, But I was wanting to switch over to a like Zwift program and wondered if anyone on here uses trainers. What are y'alls recommendations? My two current options: Qubo Digital Smart B+ and Tacx Vortex Smart.
Old 08-25-18, 02:12 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Just about any trainer running in conjunction with a speed and cadence sensor will get you happening on Zwift. Stepping up to an electronic variable makes it a much better and more real world experience. I can’t offer comment on those trainers though. I went from a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine to a Wahoo Kickr and the step up was awesome!
Old 08-25-18, 08:41 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The site you want to check for your sport tech is DC Rainmaker; the guy has everything about everything and extensive product and comparison reviews. He rate the Qubo very high

I had a Tacx Ironman which gave up the ghost and now use an Elite Drivo. My previous bike was not compatible with direct drive trainers like the Drivo but if it had I would have gone that way.
Old 08-28-18, 01:11 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I was in your boat and picked up a Wahoo Kickr Snap. It's 600 bones, but it's considered the best on-wheel trainer and works great with Zwift. I was considering the Kinetic rock and roll because it sways back and forth. I read a review where someone cracked their frame using it so it scared me off.
Old 08-28-18, 01:17 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I have a "dumb" TacX I haven't set up yet. Considered Zwift, but don't want to budget a "smart" trainer until I get set up and comfortable, so I just figured I'd watch some good cycling footage on the TV in front of it for a while. I have a Cannondale M500 frame I was going to build up, but apathy and an inability/unwillingness to overcome inertia has it gathering dust in the basement. I figured I could do a partial "trainer" build, sans brakes and shifters, and use it for a while, until I felt comfortable actually riding on my Surly LHT.
Old 08-28-18, 04:51 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I don't use zwift, but I do have a Kinetic Road Machine. I can't see spending money on another trainer. I try to get out instead of riding indoors weather permitting

Last edited by cyclist2000; 08-30-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 06:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a kickr and use zwift in the winter... I can't stand riding trainers, TV or not, for more than 30 min. but I put in a 3 and a half hour ride last February on Zwift, so I personally consider zwift a game changer.

If you want to TRY zwift out before spending a wad on a trainer, you can always use your current trainer. You'll need a speed sensor that transmits to whatever you're running zwift on in order to get a connection. Zwift has power profiles for some trainers (not sure if yours is one... they call it z-power) that they use to approximate the power you're putting out. It's not as good as a real smart trainer but it might be enough to get let you figure out if you want to pursue it.
Old 08-28-18, 06:14 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I use a BKool Pro (1st generation) and have since I was almost 400 pounds back in October 2014. It works with the BKool software/app and Zwift.

You can't go wrong with a TacX smart trainer.

Depending on your weight you might want to stay away from a direct drive trainer as most of those have a weight limit of 250-275 pounds.
Old 08-29-18, 04:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Two years with Wahoo Kickr SNAP and Zwift. Great indoor riding over the winter, I think now I'm actually in better shape in March than I am in July...
Old 08-29-18, 06:43 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Another happy Kickr Snap user here. I shelled out for it last winter, and it, along with Zwift, as has been said, is a total game changer.

I went into this outdoor season in good shape, and have ridden myself into better shape outdoors this year. Won't be long and I'll be back on it indoors again, and I hope to ride myself into great shape over the winter.

If you can afford the setup for a smart trainer and Zwift, I can't recommend it enough.
Old 08-29-18, 09:49 AM
CoreyMart

Bikes: Diverge Comp DSW, Rockhopper 29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very similar situation to you, had a cheap fluid trainer from Amazon. I upgraded to a TacX Vortex smart trainer about 6 weeks ago and I can't believe what a difference it has made. I wish I would have upgraded sooner.
Old 08-29-18, 12:59 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
The site you want to check for your sport tech is DC Rainmaker; the guy has everything about everything and extensive product and comparison reviews. He rate the Qubo very high

I had a Tacx Ironman which gave up the ghost and now use an Elite Drivo. My previous bike was not compatible with direct drive trainers like the Drivo but if it had I would have gone that way.
I have and have used a TACX Vortex with Zwift. Good stuff when it's too hot outside, or when I am lazy. The girl gets nervous with me riding after dark right now for good reason, so it'll probably get a lot of winter use.
Old 08-29-18, 07:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have the Kurt Road Smart I think it’s officially called and I use Zwift in the winter months when there is white crap all over the ground.

I like the smart trainer because it syncs up super fast and I have no issues with it at all. No sensors or anything to deal with the trainer has it all built except HR. Been Zwifting for a total of 2 off seasons now and really like the program. However in March or April I do get really tired of indoors and loose motivation with it. Way way better than before I had it.
Old 09-02-18, 02:41 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Kickr Snap users - do you have to do a spin down / recalibrate each and every time you take the bike on/off the trainer?

Buying this week, hoping for some insight here.
Old 09-04-18, 09:01 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I don't do spin down/recalibrate enough I'm sure, but I don't think you have to do it every time. They may say you should ... but I don't know that I follow that.

For anyone considering a Wahoo trainer, they're running their 0% financing program again. I did it last year and it was quick and easy and a great way to stay motivated. My last payment came right before I started riding outdoors again
Old 09-04-18, 09:51 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I am ok with spending $600 cash, and am looking for my REI dividend to be padded.

What I can't stand is the thought of doing 'extra' work just to use the device. I'm basically sure that I'll buy an extra rear wheel for the SNAP (because I already have a ton of cassettes), and in essence turn the SNAP into a wheel-off trainer by dint of the wheel always staying attached.
Old 09-11-18, 04:54 AM
Ranfrol

Bikes: 1985 Centurion Ironman Expert, 2012 Cannondale Synapse, 2014 Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Another happy Kickr Snap user here. I shelled out for it last winter, and it, along with Zwift, as has been said, is a total game changer.

I went into this outdoor season in good shape, and have ridden myself into better shape outdoors this year. Won't be long and I'll be back on it indoors again, and I hope to ride myself into great shape over the winter.

If you can afford the setup for a smart trainer and Zwift, I can't recommend it enough.
Same experience for me, but the thing that got me was I can ride several hours outdoor, but on my trainer 1 1/2 hours is the max. Must be the fact you just do not have the coasting effect with the trainer.
Old 09-11-18, 06:56 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
A lack of coasting, yes ... and a lack of standing ... I'm not one to usually stand and get out of the saddle while Zwifting. Both of those give your sensitive bits a break while riding outdoors.
Old 09-11-18, 07:17 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranfrol
Same experience for me, but the thing that got me was I can ride several hours outdoor, but on my trainer 1 1/2 hours is the max. Must be the fact you just do not have the coasting effect with the trainer.
I have a cheap fluid trainer ($10 craigslist special). It feels like you're constantly riding uphill in a headwind, in sand. It's quite the upgrade from my cheap magnetic trainer which you could overpower once it got hot.