Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

a pump track bike?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

a pump track bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 09:43 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
a pump track bike?

i admit i just posted this in bmx also, to see what, if any different opinions i get.

i recently found out one of the local public parks has a pump track (shawnee park if you're in louisville, ky. kinda on the edge of the park near the baseball field). i truthfully only just read about them a bit after seeing it. i'm thinking i want to try it at least once, mainly from the memory of riding around skateparks (on a skateboard though) a lifetime ago.

i guess i could just load the truck up with bikes that are possibly good for it and try it, but i'm wondering what might be best. i have available to try a few cheapish mountain bikes, but wondering if suspension would absorb some of the "pump". i think i can cobble up a non suspension 26" bike if so. also a 24" bmx bike i saw in a pawn shop a little after i saw the track (tony hawk), that was cheap enough to pick up (put it on layaway so i don't actually have it yet), and also a few 20" bmx bikes that were picked up more for parts, but i think i could cobble up a decent bike to try it.

i'll add also i'm about 5'11", 190ish lbs, and really the last decade or so my main bikes have been stretch cruisers. the other bikes are usually picked up cheap for future stretch projects or parts.

thanks for any thought on it.
Old 09-04-18, 12:43 PM
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ

Bikes: penny farthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're going to be faster on a hardtail, but you can take almost any bike on a pump track and have a blast.