Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tried to help, but sensed no appreciation.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 12:08 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I had an interesting encounter on the local rails-to trails route today. Shortly into my ride I saw that some idiot had broken a bottle in the middle of the paved path. I dismounted and proceeded to do what probably appeared to be a manic dance in the middle of the trail, sweeping my legs side to side to kick the many shards to the side. As I was "sweeping" I noticed an approaching cyclist so I waved my hands and yelled "glass". Unfortunately he seemed to take me for a crazy old coot and zipped by without slowing or even altering course. I shook my head and finished the cleanup, then continued with my ride. You can probably guess who I encountered (again) a half mile down the trail?

He had his bike upside down and looked both distressed and confused. Both wheels had flatted and the front tire looked to have a bit of a gash. I stopped and asked him if he needed some help. He asked if I had a spare CO2 cylinder because he had used the one he had trying to inflate a tire hoping that it would work. I wasn't sure what he had already done to fix, either patch or sealant, but offered him the use of my pump. It was then immediately obvious that he had done nothing and no amount of pumping would solve his problem. I told him that he needed to either put a new tube in or patch the damaged one. Well, he had no spare tubes and no patch kit. There was no way that one of my 40mm 650B tubes was going to work in his 700C 23mm tires, so I offered to sell him my recently purchased Rema patch kit for 5 bucks. He looked at me like I was nuts and said "no way". I think I paid a bit over 4 bucks for the kit, and really was not interested in opening the glue tube way before I might have needed it. Nor was I interested in wasting more time as the hurricane-driven weather was getting very dodgy and I wanted to get my ride in. I figured he could buy the kit from me, patch his tubes at his leisure and then flag down another cyclist with a pump. I'm not sure whether he thought my offer was overpriced or what, but I offered again and was refused. I then said, "you know I tried to warn you about the glass," to which he replied "whatever". Felt sorry for the guy.

Wished him good luck and continued my ride. Perhaps he was just mad at himself for blowing off my initial warning and then finding himself unprepared. At least there was a learning opportunity.
Old 09-13-18, 12:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
some lessons are hard to learn. pride is a funny thing. maybe he didn't know how to patch a tube
Old 09-13-18, 12:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Check Strava to see if there is a new KOM posted on that bike path segment this afternoon.

If the guy had bad gashes in his tires, a patch kit still might have been a problem. Of course, there are those super-long patches that I never know what to do with.

Maybe he needed the $5 bill to boot the tire.

Anyway, you offered. It was probably time to move on and let him stew.
Old 09-13-18, 12:18 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
There was no way that one of my 40mm 650B tubes was going to work in his 700C 23mm tires.
I'd expect that combination to be workable but would need to be very careful not to pinch the tube under the tire bead. Certainly not something I'd try with someone who seemed unappreciative.
Old 09-13-18, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I was riding down a path the other day and saw someone doing a very weird dance with a large stick on the path. I still couldn't figure it out as I was passing so just asked "out of curiosity, what are you doing?" He said "porcupine", I couldn't tell if it was alive or dead. I loudly thanked him and moved on. Figured two people would just spook the poor thing some more.

I also got some help this weekend getting my wheel back on when a passing bike mechanic happened by--one of those "save the ride" strokes of luck.

Basically, thanks for getting the glass off the path, we appreciate it.
Old 09-13-18, 12:31 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
40mm 650b tubes are almost impossible to successfully mount in a 23mm tire unless you've practiced it before.

The offer to sell the patch kit strikes me as odd. I would have looked at you askance as well, and then tried to end the interaction as quickly as possible. Otherwise it seems like you weren't really interested in helping much at all and just were there to see his comeuppance for the perceived slight of ignoring your warning. When I'm riding along it often takes me a second to register what a pedestrian is saying to me. By the time I interpreted your warning I would have been well down the path, no malice intended on my part.

I think I paid a bit over 4 bucks for the kit, and really was not interested in opening the glue tube way before I might have needed it. Nor was I interested in wasting more time as the hurricane-driven weather was getting very dodgy and I wanted to get my ride in.
Why'd you even bother stopping?
Old 09-13-18, 12:37 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
For 5 bucks, would probably just given him the patch kit, or help him patch. Once you stop I mean why not? Yes he was not prepared and yes he should suffer for it, but helping him out would be good karma for you

getting the glass off the road is a winning move
Old 09-13-18, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
40mm 650b tubes are almost impossible to successfully mount in a 23mm tire unless you've practiced it before.

The offer to sell the patch kit strikes me as odd. I would have looked at you askance as well, and then tried to end the interaction as quickly as possible. Otherwise it seems like you weren't really interested in helping much at all and just were there to see his comeuppance for the perceived slight of ignoring your warning. When I'm riding along it often takes me a second to register what a pedestrian is saying to me. By the time I interpreted your warning I would have been well down the path, no malice intended on my part.

Why'd you even bother stopping?

Now, hold on--he let the guy use his pump, and didn't know he didn't have a tube before he stopped.
$5 for the patch kit seems a little odd, but not crazy. If I'm worried about weather, I'm not sure I'd want to stay around while he worked a patch.

On the other hand, if he sells him the patch kit then leaves, how's the guy going to pump up his patched tube? Hmmmmm.... Maybe you have a point.
Old 09-13-18, 12:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The offer to sell the patch kit strikes me as odd. I would have looked at you askance as well, and then tried to end the interaction as quickly as possible.
I agree... I'd have given the patch + glue for free. The OP would still have had to help out with the pump anyway.

Nonetheless, If I was in a bind, I'd be more than willing to pay $5 to $10 for a new tube, or patches, or whatever. I'd just offer it, then accept whether it was taken or refused. And, not think more or less of the person for accepting the offer.

$5 for a patch kit is a good enough deal. It would be a pain to source a replacement anyway.
Old 09-13-18, 12:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Hmmmm .... this is already turning ugly by post #6 . I had best spew some bile before ti gets locked.

As I see it ... the guy might not have heard the "Glass!" warning ... or not understood it ("Why did he call me an ass? I passed him with plenty of room?") But ... the guy Is an ass for not having tubes/and or patches at least.

As for selling him the patch kit .... it's an individual thing. If i didn't want to wait around, or help him patch his tubes, I don't know what I would have done. I am rpetty sure i wouldn't have sold Or given him my patch kit.

Two reasons---first, take the pain and learn the lesson, you moron. You ride over glass, you pop your tubes. You can't fix them, you walk. Do the math, carry supplies ... or walk. If I save every idiot I am fighting Darwin ... they will go on to breed and teach their kids, "Some Good Samaritan will waste his precious emergency supplies on you, so don't be self-sufficient."

Second ... I am not going to leave myself hanging. On most of my bikes I carry two tubes , and some glueless patches .... (which i could have left in this case.) But I am not going to count on someone saving me if I hit more glass further down the trail.

As for selling it .... welcome to America. i bought it, you can buy it. and you Need it. You'd rather walk ... power to you.

i don't think i'd have offered to sell my kit ... if i wasn't going to wait with him, i would never even talk about it .... if the rider struck me as a decent sort, I might stay and help (time and conditions permitting) but i don't think it would have even crossed my ind to sell it.
Old 09-13-18, 12:48 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Some people appreciate the little things, some people don't see any value in appreciating. Better to focus on people that enrich your life and make for a better day.
Old 09-13-18, 01:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have this sneaking suspicion that if I were a fly on the wall for this interaction, his reaction might make more sense.

I must say that offering to sell a guy a patch kit, but not letting him use your pump does seem a bit odd.

I've never asked a cyclist to pay me for a patch, tube, energy bar, or water out on the trail.
Old 09-13-18, 01:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have this sneaking suspicion that if I were a fly on the wall for this interaction, his reaction might make more sense.

I must say that offering to sell a guy a patch kit, but not letting him use your pump does seem a bit odd.
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
I wasn't sure what he had already done to fix, either patch or sealant, but offered him the use of my pump. .
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I've never asked a cyclist to pay me for a patch, tube, energy bar, or water out on the trail.
Sure ... but have you ever given away your pump?

In a situation where i could not stop and help the guy fix his tubes ... i don't know how much of my stuff I would give away. I would give him a tube ... . but in this case the tube wouldn't have fit. No Way I would give away both my tubes, if they did fit .... I am not risking walking because some other person didn't use common sense and carry supplies. Not sure I would have given away a patch kit ... but then, i buy glue and patches in bulk and carry glueless of emergencies. As I said, I could have left some glueless patches easily ... if had had some. I don't always.

I realize you misread, @Kedosto .... the OP Did try to help, but he felt that the other rider had a bad attitude .... but why would the OP give away a $4 patch kit to some guy who wasn't smart enough to carry t a tube or two ... and why did the guy have CO2 but no tube? Was the guy running tubeless---I hope so. In which case ... didn't anyone tell him to carry spare tubes just in case?

The idea of selling a patch kit is a little odd .... but having a patch kit would only work if the guy had tubes. if he did .... see. to me the whole thing is absurd. Why pump CO2 into an obviously ripped tire if you are running tubeless? And why not be prepared? And if running with tubes Seriously, Why pump CO2 into a deflated tube? They don't magically seal. (Well, maybe he had slime tubes, i guess .... ) In any case .... If a person goes riding and isn't self-sufficient ... they become pedestrians. if they are smart, it only happens once.
Old 09-13-18, 01:26 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
sounds like you were more interested in rubbing salt on the guy then you know it. Offering to sell a patch kit for 5 bux?? damn cheapo.
Old 09-13-18, 01:27 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Both riders' actions look strange to me.
Old 09-13-18, 01:31 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Anyone know where to get $4 or less patch kits in bulk?
Old 09-13-18, 01:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
In the future do as I do, carry two patch kits. One kit is instant patches, which I use to give patches to those in need, the other kit is a traditional patch kit for my own use.
Old 09-13-18, 01:36 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Patch kit at performance bike is $1.99
Old 09-13-18, 01:38 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Anyone know where to get $4 or less patch kits in bulk?
Lowe's, $1.98, in-store.
​​​​​​https://www.lowes.com/pd/Slime-Tire-...iABEgLc_PD_BwE
Old 09-13-18, 01:40 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sure ... but have you ever given away your pump?

In a situation where i could not stop and help the guy fix his tubes ... i don't know how much of my stuff I would give away. I would give him a tube ... . but in this case the tube wouldn't have fit. No Way I would give away both my tubes, if they did fit .... I am not risking walking because some other person didn't use common sense and carry supplies. Not sure I would have given away a patch kit ... but then, i buy glue and patches in bulk and carry glueless of emergencies. As I said, I could have left some glueless patches easily ... if had had some. I don't always.

I realize you misread, @Kedosto .... the OP Did try to help, but he felt that the other rider had a bad attitude .... but why would the OP give away a $4 patch kit to some guy who wasn't smart enough to carry t a tube or two ... and why did the guy have CO2 but no tube? Was the guy running tubeless---I hope so. In which case ... didn't anyone tell him to carry spare tubes just in case?

The idea of selling a patch kit is a little odd .... but having a patch kit would only work if the guy had tubes. if he did .... see. to me the whole thing is absurd. Why pump CO2 into an obviously ripped tire if you are running tubeless? And why not be prepared? And if running with tubes Seriously, Why pump CO2 into a deflated tube? They don't magically seal. (Well, maybe he had slime tubes, i guess .... ) In any case .... If a person goes riding and isn't self-sufficient ... they become pedestrians. if they are smart, it only happens once.
Hey! Leave me outta this! (It wasn't me.)

But, now that I'm in it...
I have offered to assist more times than I can count. Most times it's a shout out -- "Hey, you all good?" Most times the answer is "I'm good!" If I do actually circle around and unclip, my attention is immediately focused on whether or not the rider has their act together. Do they have a tube? Patch kit? Pump? Chain tool? (whatever the situation requires) I'm not AAA. I'm not a source of free supplies. I represent an offer of assistance, NOT a promise of resolution. I'll offer a patch and glue from my kit (but not the kit). Maybe the use of my pump (if they know what they're doing). A CO2 cartridge (only if they've spent their own first, and I handle my own cart to be sure it's not wasted). It may sound harsh, but I'm very happy to assist those who've done their best to be prepared and solve the problem on their own. I'm not interested in being an idiot's guardian angel.

If I seriously suspected he heard me clearly when he blew past, I'm not sure I would have stopped to offer anything later. I leave open the possibility he may not have heard/understood, but I wasn't there.

-Kedosto
Old 09-13-18, 01:40 PM
Maelochs

My mistake ... i thought the thrust of the thread was .. . "What would you do if this happened to you?" Would everyone here have handed over the brand-new patch kit? obviously if someone had glueless patches ... but that is not the situation being discussed---as well say, "Well, i happen to have the same size tubes." That's not what happened.

In this same situation, where you didn't have tubes,and didn't want to wait while the guy patched his tubes with your patch kit and them pumped up his tires with your pump .... .... what would you do?

I think i would have left the guy, said I was sorry (sorry for him being a fool, but I would leave out that part,) and headed down the road.
Old 09-13-18, 01:41 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Cliff notes:

OP see's broken glass in path, stops to kick it to the side.

While doing so another cyclist approaches and OP tries to warn them to no avail.

Later down the path said cyclist has two flats and no tubes or kit to fix.

OP offers to sell him his patch kit for $5; other cyclist declines.
Old 09-13-18, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Hey! Leave me outta this! (It wasn't me.) -Kedosto
Kedosto, Kapusta .... all those foreign names .... "Y'all look alike to me." ("It looks like he is responding with the 'Redneck Gambit'---not something we anticipated at this stage of the match," said the announcers in hushed voices.)
Old 09-13-18, 01:44 PM
Maelochs

By the way, pretty good advice ... coming from a foreigner and all ....
Old 09-13-18, 01:49 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Cliff notes:

OP see's broken glass in path, stops to kick it to the side.

While doing so another cyclist approaches and OP tries to warn them to no avail.

Later down the path said cyclist has two flats and no tubes or kit to fix..
Missing detail: OP lets idiot try to pump up his deflated tires.

Idiot asked for OP to give him some CO2 cartridges because his didn't work.

OP offered such help as the idiot asked for--help inflating the tire. idiot seemed not to realize that tires don't instantly self-seal.

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
OP offers to sell him his patch kit for $5; other cyclist declines.
The missing info is very important because ti shows the OP was willing to help, but only willing to help to a degree.

Like myself and Kedostopusta, OP was not about to go giving handouts to people who were not prepared to help themselves. But .... OP was willing to help. And tried to help ... . but OP was hopeless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.