Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle suggestions??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 07:15 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Saddle suggestions??

Been riding for about 25 years now (6,000+ miles/yr) and have tried over 100 saddles, but have yet to find "Mrs. Right" (haha). By now, I know what I need, but can't quite find it. (If the size/shape is right, it's too soft or hard, if the padding is right, it's too narrow or wide, etc.) Even though I'm a guy, a woman's saddle seems to work best, because a) I need something wider than most "men's" saddles -- around 155 - 160mm -- and b) I need the saddle pretty far rearward -- tip-of-saddle 10-12cm behind BB, depending on saddle length -- which is what many woman's models seem to be designed for. Currently have a Selle Italia Lady, which is pretty close to size and shape I need (but prefer less of a tapper from front to back), but the padding is a bit too thick and soft. (But I definitely need more padding than typical "hard-core" racing/men's saddles.
Old 09-15-18, 07:50 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Something from WTB ?

https://www.wtb.com/products/comfort
Old 09-15-18, 07:55 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Specialized Power in 155mm width. I have the Expert model in 143 and it is quite possibly the best saddle I've ever had in my 54 years of riding. They have different models that have more or less padding as well.
Old 09-15-18, 11:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fwiw,

that must be the millionth which saddle thread.

Go forth sit on more saddles ...

US made selle anatomica, Stretched Leather,
has the longest rail adjustment range I've seen ,
though I don't own one ..

I don't sit on my saddle with your hips, so "I have an X and I like it"
as a solution for you, has little meaning..

But, inevitably, that is the typical reply..

good luck..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-22-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 11:52 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Im going for a plain specialized power , they have 3 variations in all the right sizes , i cant wait till mine comes .
Old 09-16-18, 06:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
The best I have been able to find so far are Adamo. Specifically the performance recreation series. Find a shop that has them. They have a good demo program.
Old 09-17-18, 11:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
fizik cx pave
selle san marco ponza arrowhead
form E3
wtb volt

All are flat, firm with just a hair of give. all anatomical.
Old 09-17-18, 11:52 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
How about a Brooks leather saddle for women ? They carry a B17 for women. After you get the Brooks broken in they are very comfortable too.
Old 09-17-18, 11:57 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Infinity saddle. If all else fail...try it.
Old 09-17-18, 04:09 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Infinity saddle. If all else fail...try it.
Thanks . . . but no thanks!
Old 09-17-18, 04:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you're willing to reject the Infinity offhand, then you're not really looking for help. No suggestion here is more or less valid than any other, because saddle fit is individual. If a saddle is comfortable for thousands of miles, I don't care how much it costs.
Old 09-17-18, 04:37 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you're willing to reject the Infinity offhand, then you're not really looking for help. No suggestion here is more or less valid than any other, because saddle fit is individual. If a saddle is comfortable for thousands of miles, I don't care how much it costs.
It wasn't just the price -- didn't see that right away -- it's that . . . I started hurting just LOOKING at that freaking thing!!!
Old 09-17-18, 05:23 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by pakossa
It wasn't just the price -- didn't see that right away -- it's that . . . I started hurting just LOOKING at that freaking thing!!!
I don't blame you, specially if you are the type to judge by sight. Let your ass do the judgement. If you REALLY LOOK, you will see that it avoids everything that makes your butt hurt during a ride.
Old 09-17-18, 05:35 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
To the OP "looks can be deceiving". I'm 66 and have Infinity saddles on both my bikes after spending lots of $$$ trying to find the "right" one. Just finished a comfortable century. Did you know this saddle was developed by a cycling doctor and is used by many endurance cyclist? Also I believe, they have a 30 day money back policy except for freight. But with saddles everyone is different. Good Luck!
Old 09-17-18, 05:50 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I don't blame you, specially if you are the type to judge by sight. Let your ass do the judgement. If you REALLY LOOK, you will see that it avoids everything that makes your butt hurt during a ride.

As I mentioned, I have tried over 100 saddles. It's gotten to the point where I CAN judge by looking at -- and feeling -- a saddle, whether or not I have some chance of liking it. (And I now know that those weird shaped ones -- like that one, as well as ISM, Adamo, Cobb, and SMP -- just don't work for me. (Maybe I'll just stick to that Selle Italia Lady after all . . . . . )
Old 09-17-18, 10:01 PM
tagaproject6

If you say so.
Old 09-18-18, 03:09 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
It's an expensive business, isn't it? I used to get bad saddle sores and went through numerous saddles in an attempt to find the right one. I'm glad that was then as I couldn't afford to do it now.

I eventually settled on a Fizik Arione - at that time none of them had the open centre. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty good and I'm still using that saddle many years on.
Old 09-18-18, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Do these saddle threads ever prove useful to the OP? It always seems like someone asking the forum to tell him what size shoe he should wear.
Old 09-18-18, 10:35 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
How about a Brooks leather saddle for women ? They carry a B17 for women. After you get the Brooks broken in they are very comfortable too.
I'd go along with Brooks, possibly with the ordinary B17 though. They won't be perfect to begin with, but they break in reasonably quickly, after which you have a saddle virtually custom made for your bum

The newer non-leather brooks saddles are meant to be good, too
Old 09-18-18, 11:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
on the road bike my butt likes a Brooks B17

on the rough bikes for lots of pounding on gravel, etc I like $20 foam ergo saddles

the OEM Bontrager saddle on my older FX was just fine for everything except the rough stuff

Old 09-18-18, 12:18 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
FYI> Not so much for the OP but here's a link to a podcast with the inverter of the Infinity saddle.

https://www.radio.com/media/podcast/...ior-rich-rubin
Old 09-18-18, 01:06 PM
jtburn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also use the Infinity, most comfortable saddle I have ever used.
Old 09-22-18, 09:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I have a Serfas MX-3 Dorado on my road bike and have found it to be very comfortable (price is right too!) . I have a Terry Liberator (men's) on my mtn bike. It is an older model, so the padding is a bit worn, still comfortable, but I like the Serfas a little better. Saddles have to be one of the most personal fit item on a bike. I haven't tried one, but the leather saddles seem to get lots of good reviews. I may try a Selle Anatomica if I go to replace one of my saddles any time soon.

Last edited by freeranger; 09-22-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 12:23 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's important to ensure the seat is in the right position, both with tilt and reach. You want your body naturally settling on the back of the seat. The rails only tend to give a couple inches adjustment but there are other answers:

If the seat is too far back it's never gonna be comfortable - many seat posts will work within adequate tilt range when turned around, so the clamp is at the front. If that's too much, some designs have the clamp directly on the top instead of set back.

If the seat is already too far forward and you're just too upright, you can either fit a lay-back seat post (often limited diameters so you may need a shim for your frame), or fit a longer handlebar stem.
Old 09-22-18, 12:33 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
Been riding for about 25 years now (6,000+ miles/yr) and have tried over 100 saddles, but have yet to find "Mrs. Right" (haha). By now, I know what I need, but can't quite find it. (If the size/shape is right, it's too soft or hard, if the padding is right, it's too narrow or wide, etc.) Even though I'm a guy, a woman's saddle seems to work best, because a) I need something wider than most "men's" saddles -- around 155 - 160mm -- and b) I need the saddle pretty far rearward -- tip-of-saddle 10-12cm behind BB, depending on saddle length -- which is what many woman's models seem to be designed for. Currently have a Selle Italia Lady, which is pretty close to size and shape I need (but prefer less of a tapper from front to back), but the padding is a bit too thick and soft. (But I definitely need more padding than typical "hard-core" racing/men's saddles.
Here we go again. No one is going to be able to tell anyone else what the right saddle is for them. If you have really tried over a 100 saddles then you are not going to find one and you certainly aren't going to find it with advice on the internet. Your problem is compounded by the fact that you are looking for a woman's saddle.

Instead of looking at the saddle you might want to take a hard look at the bike. For example is it fitted properly? You might even want to look at a recumbent and switch bike types altogether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.