Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie Noobie

Old 09-16-18, 04:16 PM
Fruits
Peachy!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie Noobie

Hello everyone! I have recently found interest in fixed gear bicycles, but have not yet purchased one. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on some good fixies in the $200-300 range. If you have any tips for beginners as well, I'd love to hear them!

Also, I've stumbled across a bike called "Critical Cycles Harper". I'm wondering if this would be a good option because it's real cheap, and seems to be of good quality, although some reviewers could disagree.
Also, also, I would definitely be willing to build my own fixie, as long as it's cheap. But I don't know if that's really possible with good quality parts.

Thanks,
Fruits
Old 09-16-18, 04:43 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Most FG bikes at that price point are pretty much the same, it seems. Maybe check out State, Pure, 6KU. If you can save up and increase your budget a little, Kilo TT is a solid choice. Building your own bike is pretty much always going to be more expensive unless you have a lot of parts laying around. Number one tip: make sure you get the right size frame.

Read Sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedgear.html
Also this guy, not my fav, but has some good beginner informational stuff:
Old 09-16-18, 09:03 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
If fixie you seek, critical cycles can’t be beat

Source: rhyme-as-reason
Old 09-17-18, 08:25 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Most FG bikes at that price point are pretty much the same, it seems. Maybe check out State, Pure, 6KU. If you can save up and increase your budget a little, Kilo TT is a solid choice. Building your own bike is pretty much always going to be more expensive unless you have a lot of parts laying around. Number one tip: make sure you get the right size frame.

Read Sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedgear.html
Also this guy, not my fav, but has some good beginner informational stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEyGujWHNY
I’ll second this recommendation. Zach’s YouTube channel is very informative and helpful for beginners. Go watch his videos. Your price range will put you in a bottom category of what’s on offer. My personal advice would be to save up a few hundred dollars more and purchase a bike in a more ‘mid’ range category. It will be a much wiser investment that will get you a better bike, outfitted with better parts. This will save money in the long run. Again Zachs YouTube has multiple videos and reviews about this very subject, so I highly recommend watching his videos, as they will be a great guide.
Old 09-17-18, 10:02 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Look on Craigslist and OfferUp. State and the others can be had from $50 ( if you watch like a hawk and jump on)-500 depending on model. I would buy a cheap one to ride while figuring out what you really want. The market is full of fixed gear bikes people because thought they were going to get into riding or they were cool.
Old 09-17-18, 10:13 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I never got this constantly repeated refrain of "Save up to buy a better first bike" to new riders with limited means from some of the more vocal members here...

A new, inexperienced rider can't tell if what they are riding on is a slightly better, or worse bike - why should they spend more money on something they may not even get into and that will end up sitting unused in a corner? If they do happen to catch the bicycling bug - they have plenty of time to blow their money on higher end/better equipment later. I know (and occasionally ride with) lots of people in my area who are riding crappy Pure Fix/Critical Cycles type bikes quite happily, in some cases for quite a few years. My own kid started out on a cheap bike. When he stuck with it - we built him a nicer one.

OP - buy whatever you can afford and get to riding now. Hope you enjoy it and stick with it, and then spend your life "upgrading" your bike ****...
Old 09-17-18, 11:36 AM
Fruits
Peachy!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate what you all have said, but I think IAmSam made a great point. I have a very garbage bike mountain bike right now (that I use for the road), but I find it relatively fine, and think really anything would be an upgrade. I've never owned a road bike, and I plan on using it for casual rides.

I'm very interested in State Bikes because they have very nice looking bikes at a reasonable price, with good reviews.

Thanks
Old 09-17-18, 11:45 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I never got this constantly repeated refrain of "Save up to buy a better first bike" to new riders with limited means from some of the more vocal members here...

A new, inexperienced rider can't tell if what they are riding on is a slightly better, or worse bike - why should they spend more money on something they may not even get into and that will end up sitting unused in a corner? If they do happen to catch the bicycling bug - they have plenty of time to blow their money on higher end/better equipment later. I know (and occasionally ride with) lots of people in my area who are riding crappy Pure Fix/Critical Cycles type bikes quite happily, in some cases for quite a few years. My own kid started out on a cheap bike. When he stuck with it - we built him a nicer one.

OP - buy whatever you can afford and get to riding now. Hope you enjoy it and stick with it, and then spend your life "upgrading" your bike ****...
there’s no right or wrong answer, so why you’re getting offended by the advice is beyond me. I gave advice under the assumption that the OP would most likely get more into cycling and want something better. That’s pretty typical is it not? So my advice was intended to save the OP time, hassle and money down the road. If the OP is less likely to get more seriously into cycling, then maybe a cheaper bike would be better. None the less, the cheaper you go, the more likely you are going to run into issues with your equipment. Issues that could push you to give up on cycling, that may not have been a problem had you spent a little more money. It’s jist a difference of opinion on how to approach things. What the OP Ultimately does is up to them. At the end of the day, the advice on watching zach’s YouTube videos is solid. Cheers.
Old 09-17-18, 12:06 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

I started out with a Moto Fixie Cafe, and still like it to this day!

Starting out low end makes sense to me. As long as you're not considering department store bikes. Seriously, $2-300 SS/FG bikes are not junk, and will not fall apart with normal use and care. Mine didn't. It's a great way to see if you'll like it.
Old 09-17-18, 12:14 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
^^ All true. What's also true is that this is a price point in the bike market where an extra 100-200 dollars gets you a lot more bike for your money. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, just like there's nothing wrong with getting a 300 dollar bike if that's what you want.
Old 09-17-18, 12:57 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

^^^bingo. It’s worth pointing out that you get a lot of extra bang for your buck with just a 1 or 2 hundred bucks extra. A lot. It’s solid advice to let the OP fully understand both sides of the coin, to better help the OP make their own decision. It’s absurd to get offended over well rounded thoughtful advice. At the end of the day, the OP will buy what they buy, and I wish them good luck and happy riding.
Old 09-17-18, 04:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I can see the reasoning on both sides of this topic, but I tend to side with those who recommend saving up a little more money and buying a nicer bike than you think you need. You probably won't be disappointed with it, but there's a good chance you will be disappointed with the cheaper choice.

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-17-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:48 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fruits
Hello everyone! I have recently found interest in fixed gear bicycles, but have not yet purchased one. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on some good fixies in the $200-300 range. If you have any tips for beginners as well, I'd love to hear them!

Also, I've stumbled across a bike called "Critical Cycles Harper". I'm wondering if this would be a good option because it's real cheap, and seems to be of good quality, although some reviewers could disagree.
Also, also, I would definitely be willing to build my own fixie, as long as it's cheap. But I don't know if that's really possible with good quality parts.

Thanks,
Fruits
Okay, always start with Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedgear.html

and for the flip-side of your hub(the freewheel side): https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Whatever bike you build/buy; I strongly recommend the flip-flop hub which allows you to go fixed or freewheel.

And I strongly recommend adding brakes to your ride. You don't have to use them but they are invaluable "just in case".
Old 09-17-18, 08:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Skipping the $4-500 dollar bike and starting with the $279 Moto, got me to the $1000 Wabi quicker.
Old 09-17-18, 09:41 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
^^^bingo.
Old 09-26-18, 03:36 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Very cheap bikes can be "complete rubbish" but many years ago I did my longest ever day (200 miles) on the cheapest 5 speed, steel framed, chromed-steel wheeled bike in the shop, and only a few years ago I did my toughest ever off roading (a full day on a mountain bike route in Snowdonia) on a borrowed steel and lead pipe mountain bike that was simply awful — but it was a great day's riding.

I'm a musician and I have long said that "money saved on cheap instruments is money wasted" and the same could be said to some extent about bikes. Buy the cheapest clunky bike from your local department store and either you will not enjoy riding it and give up, or you will not enjoy riding it and spend a lot more on a better one.

However, beyond that basic advice of "don't get the cheapest because it's cheapest" it gets more complicated. A bike is essentially a simple machine, and a single speed or fixed gear especially so. A new rider needs to learn to distinguish between illusory improvements (colour, style, etc.); things that make a real difference to daily riding; and things that are nice but inessential luxuries. The keen rider may be tempted to recommend "just save up another $500" when an extra $100 would be enough.

Whatever you buy, chances are you'll upgrade the seat and pedals and, in due course, the tyres, and you may also tweak the gear ratios. Then, with a few miles under your belt, you'll start dreaming about the exact bike that you want, not the one that someone else says you want.

So, don't get the very cheapest, but get one worth upgrading and develop your own wish list for your next bike.