Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie Wheelsets

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 05:04 PM
Joseph1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie Wheelsets

I've been a fixie rider for about a year and a half now and I think its time I trash my stock pure fix. Right now im considering to upgrade my wheels and then after get a new frame but im kinda lost right now as to what are some good brands and deals i should be looking for and which ones to stay away from. My budget right now is 200-300 dollars so I know i cant buy anything too flashy but im just asking for some help as to what a decent wheel set would be. Thanks!
Old 09-16-18, 07:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Any wheel a bike shop throws away will be a fixie wheel though usually they aren't worth the fixie or they are dented. bent or broken and cannot be fixied.

Seeing as though you are here in the SS/FG forum I am guessing you are probably looking for a singlespeed or fixed gear wheelset. What are you looking for in a wheelset other than probably something that doesn't need a fixie? Do you want something for the track or for the streets? Are you a heavy rider or are more abusive to your bike? What tire size are you planning on running? These are just some questions I might ask myself and answer before I go asking for wheelset advice.
Old 09-16-18, 08:41 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Fixie
Old 09-17-18, 08:07 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Bam: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...wheelset-black
Old 09-17-18, 12:57 PM
CBee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Those are the wheels I was considering. I’m a little taken back by the fact that the anodized black rubs off if you run brakes.
Old 09-17-18, 01:00 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by CBee

Those are the wheels I was considering. I’m a little taken back by the fact that the anodized black rubs off if you run brakes.
Yeah, it does. That's going to happen with pretty much any black anodized rim. They're available in silver too.
Old 09-17-18, 01:02 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts

it’s just what happens. Anodising is a surface treatment and it wears away. The only black rims that wil stay black are carbon.
Old 09-17-18, 03:57 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Besides the set linked above, you could choose any wheels from Retrogression and not go wrong. Also, anything in the $200-300 range from Velomine will be decent, certainly an improvement over what probably came on your Pure Fix.

Good brands of rims include H+ Son, Velocity, and Mavic. All City hubs are a solid value, but might be just out of your price range. For a really low price, Origin8 hubs are not bad.
Old 09-17-18, 07:35 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I've been very pleased with my Velocity rims (aerohead) and Formula hubs wheelset.

I think you can go cheaper on components if you have a decent wheelbuilder locally. Or you can learn to build wheels yourself. It's not that hard but takes patience.

Factory build wheels will still be cheaper but check them out thoroughly and if in doubt, have your local wheelbuilder check them. Sometimes the spokes are not evenly tensioned or too wound up or there's a slight wobble.
Old 09-17-18, 08:16 PM
REDMASTA

Friction is a biotch
Old 09-20-18, 11:54 AM
CCMAK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Paint" it with a permanent marker when the metal surfaces - you've got a black rim again. Though I don't know how long would the ink last..
Old 09-20-18, 04:30 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CCMAK
"Paint" it with a permanent marker when the metal surfaces - you've got a black rim again. Though I don't know how long would the ink last..
an exercise in futility.
Old 09-21-18, 04:55 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
an exercise in futility.
^^^ Indeed!

Nothing wrong with mostly black rims and silver braking surfaces. If you need them to be all one color, buy the silver ones... or get black ones and disc brakes.
Old 09-21-18, 05:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Weinmann DP18 Black Fixed Gear Wheels 32H Formula DT Champ MSW [71588] - $119.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

I had these on my SSCX bike for several seasons and now they're on my kid's school commute bike. Strong and cheap (thus, not very light).
Old 09-22-18, 09:55 AM
REDMASTA

Never been a fan of how Velomine specs all their rear formula hubs with such a long axle. I know they do it to keep things simple for themselves when a customer wants 130 for road conversions, and the offending extra axle can also be hack sawed off, but it still bothers me. Guess that's how they can sell wheel sets for $120.

If you got $300 to spend the h+son options @ retrogression are a good value. Or if you're fortunate enough to have a good wheel builder local they usually will build the wheel free of charge if all components are purchased from them. That's what I do.
Old 09-22-18, 08:33 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by CCMAK
At my workplace, a black marker is called a Pocket Anodizing Tool.
Old 09-23-18, 07:12 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Take a look at the Alex R450s. I have one on my fixed gear (on the rear), and the finish has been amazingly durable. I have about 1300 miles on it,and run a rear brake as well. Been using this for the last 3 years.

Dave
Old 09-23-18, 01:17 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
I suggest you build your own wheels. I got into it early on and have never bought a factory wheelset in my life. It's a pretty simple process.

No guarantee it will be cheaper, more of a hobby enjoyment thing.
Old 09-23-18, 01:23 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What I did, was find an old set of wheels that used a freewheel. Since I don't run freewheels any more, the wheelset was useless to me. I found a flip flop hub whose flanges were the same height as the hub on the donor rear wheel. Took the donor wheel apart with a spoke wrench and rebuilt the wheel with the flip flop hub.

I thought the fact that the freewheel hub used an offset spoke pattern would make the spokes too short on one side, but the new wheel laced up fine, and I put a wheelset that had previously been lying around just taking up space, back into service.