Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying advice for a casual cyclist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 06:56 AM
Tetsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,

I'm new here and looking for buying advice.

I'm a casual cyclist, cycling for 2-3 times a week, mostly getting myself a bit of cardio and R&R in the process.
My old trustworthy Scott broke down, so here I am.

Looked a bit for a simple bicycle, and narrowed it down to two choices:
(I'm sorry a space between goo.gl, forum rules)

goo .gl/uh597F - Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid
OR
goo .gl/G26eTM Spyder Rogue 1.0

I'm looking for as good as possible simple, sturdy and comfortable bicycle for my casual needs.
Don't need anything fancy (I think these variants from which I choose is somewhat entry type), though I'll be going through different terrains - road and off-road(some gravel, but nothing too rough).

Could you pinpoint me from the bikes I've chosen, which would be better for my needs?
I'm a total n00b, I just did a bit of research of technology both bikes are using, Radial seems to have upper hand, but I might be wrong.

Please help me out!

Thanks!
Old 09-17-18, 07:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't know what those two bikes are, but a bicycle is a pretty simple machine.

I wouldn't over think it. A relatively simple, functional bike will handle a much greater range of conditions than you are probably envisioning. With the kind of care and maintenance that the average adult gives their possessions it will last for a long time. If, for whatever reason, you find it inadequate for your purpose, a basic bike is always relatively easy to sell and you can buy a replacement that suits you better.
Old 09-17-18, 07:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
I simply wouldn't buy a cyclist, casual or otherwise. i wouldn't even know where they were sold.
Old 09-17-18, 07:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

More helpfully .... please tell us what year and model of Scott, and how far/what sort of road/offroad you like to ride.

Alos, links can be posted using a simple work-around---https://XXXXsomesite.xxxxnet/XXXXmodel/XXXXspecifics ....... that sort of thing
Old 09-17-18, 07:50 AM
Tetsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input guys.

About my old Scott...I don't quite remember, it was bought new almost 12 years ago, it was simple, one the cheapest models back then.
I liked it, but I'm not basing my purchase on that bike.
I usually cycle for around 30-45 minutes, never really paid attention for exact distance.
It's mainly road and some offroad with a bit of gravel and small rocks. That's it.

Yes, I might be overthinking, it's just a basic bike I'm looking for, but since Radial one is only 30Euros (around 40$) more expensive, I just want to get a better variant (I know it might sound funny).
By what I mean better - I'm not even remotely skilled enough to compare these two in terms of frame, fork, gears, tyres and whatsoever, the technology it's using.
I might be asking too much, but could you tell, which one would be better by specs?

The reason is, again, I'm planning to use it for a long time, and since the price difference is very measly, I would just like to know which one of them would be better(again, it's sounds funny, as it's for casual, but if you could help, it would be great).

Last edited by Tetsu; 09-17-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 10:43 AM
Maelochs

Links, links ... we don't have the specs of every bike sold in every nation memorized. (Well, I don't ... some posters here, I wouldn't be surprised.)
Old 09-17-18, 11:05 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Was your old bike adequet for your needs? If yes, then make a note of what you liked, didn't like, & some basic specs like frame size, gears, etc...and go shopping. New SORA equipment is every bit as good as the higher end stuff of a decade ago so don't get too hung up on "It's GOTTA be 105 or you'll wish you got better" type recommendations.

Lots of deals to be had on decent bikes in the sub $900 range at most bike shops.

In short, buy what fits & has a good range of gears for the terrain you ride. In Seattle there is many a 700c road bike that has a 50-34 chain ring & 11-32 cassette. That's about 30 to about 110 gear inches. That works for our terrain. If buying a new bike, you might ask if the shop will change to the gears you want right from the get-go.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-18, 11:14 AM
Tetsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Links, links ... we don't have the specs of every bike sold in every nation memorized. (Well, I don't ... some posters here, I wouldn't be surprised.)
Sorry for that!
Links:
goo .gl/uh597F - Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid
OR
goo .gl/G26eTM Spyder Rogue 1.0

Just remove space before .gl

Specs in text format:

Spyder Rogue 1.0

> 650B Alloy Hardtail Mountain Bike Frame
> SR Suntour XCM RL 100mm Suspension Fork
> Alloy MTB Handlebars
> Alloy Handlebar Stem
> 3x8 Shimano Altus/Acera gears
> Shimano Chainset
> Shimano M315 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
> 650B Alex Rims on Shimano Hubs

Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid
Somehow HTML screws up specs formatting for this one, I'll just attach a .txt doc, sorry.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Radial_Compel_1.1_Hybrid.txt (499 Bytes, 9 views)

Last edited by Tetsu; 09-17-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 11:20 AM
Tetsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Was your old bike adequet for your needs? If yes, then make a note of what you liked, didn't like, & some basic specs like frame size, gears, etc...and go shopping. New SORA equipment is every bit as good as the higher end stuff of a decade ago so don't get too hung up on "It's GOTTA be 105 or you'll wish you got better" type recommendations.

Lots of deals to be had on decent bikes in the sub $900 range at most bike shops.

In short, buy what fits & has a good range of gears for the terrain you ride. In Seattle there is many a 700c road bike that has a 50-34 chain ring & 11-32 cassette. That's about 30 to about 110 gear inches. That works for our terrain. If buying a new bike, you might ask if the shop will change to the gears you want right from the get-go.

Good luck.
Thanks for your input, but my old Scott was badly damaged in an accident, and I just threw it away.
I don't recall any of those specs(no, my brain wasn't damaged in an accident, lol, or maybe?), it was just a simple standard bike I guess, bought around 12 years ago.
I never paid attention to that stuff, honestly, even the most basic things. Bike was working, and that I was all I cared for.
Just the stuff I need I posted in the first post.

Last edited by Tetsu; 09-17-18 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 11:47 AM
Maelochs

Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid Bike
Buy Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid Bike | Radial Cycles | Radial Cycles
basic Al frame/CF fork flat bar road/trail bike
50/34x12-28 Sora—very nice
Shimano Hollowtech BB—very nice
35 mm tires—good for comfort and the variety of terrain the OP mentioned
Mech discs, no brand …. Ummmmmmm

Out Of Stock (it claims)

British bike, so it is set up to ride on the wrong side of the road. 

Spyder Rogue 1.0 Mens
https://lt.sportsdirect.com/spyder-r...lcode=93205603
650B Alloy Hardtail Mountain Bike Frame
SR Suntour XCM RL 100mm Suspension Fork——exceedingly meh
3x8 Shimano Altus/Acera gears—meh … certainly good enough but …..
Also doesn’t list ratios
Shimano M315 Hydraulic Disc Brakes Good
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally i would go with the rigid fork Radial .... the Suntour fork on the Rogue is excess weight and limited function, and unless you are planning to actually ride hard over big obstacles, i don't see where it would help. With 35-mm tires (and bigger might fit) you could ride over or through any light sand/gravel/packed earth trails with comfort and control, and when you were on pavement, would have more predictable steering and a lighter bike ... and I'd wager that fork would either hardly ever get used, in which case it is an expensive waste, or would get used hard and die pretty quickly ....

If you need a mountian bike, you need to spend a little more up front ... or a lot more down the road.

if you need a gravel bike which can handle pavement well, the Radial suits the need.

IMO.
Old 09-17-18, 12:24 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Buy Radial Compel 1.1 Hybrid Bike | Radial Cycles | Radial Cycles

Out Of Stock (it claims)

Spyder Rogue 1.0 Mens
https://lt.sportsdirect.com/spyder-r...lcode=93205603
Also doesn’t list ratios
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally i would go with the rigid fork Radial .... the Suntour fork on the Rogue is excess weight and limited function, and unless you are planning to actually ride hard over big obstacles, i don't see where it would help.
I agree. The well damped suspension forks on the more expensive mountain bikes really do make a world of difference. The low end spring forks on lower end offerings are more show than performance. If you have a limited budget, spending part of that budget for a feature that doesn't really do very much doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-17-18, 01:20 PM
Tetsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Out Of Stock (it claims)

Spyder Rogue 1.0 Mens

Also doesn’t list ratios
Personally i would go with the rigid fork Radial .... the Suntour fork on the Rogue is excess weight and limited function, and unless you are planning to actually ride hard over big obstacles, i don't see where it would help. With 35-mm tires (and bigger might fit) you could ride over or through any light sand/gravel/packed earth trails with comfort and control, and when you were on pavement, would have more predictable steering and a lighter bike ... and I'd wager that fork would either hardly ever get used, in which case it is an expensive waste, or would get used hard and die pretty quickly ....

If you need a mountian bike, you need to spend a little more up front ... or a lot more down the road.

if you need a gravel bike which can handle pavement well, the Radial suits the need.

IMO.

Thank you very much for such detailed reply Sir!!!

Going to order Radial.
Old 09-18-18, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OffLine.. Bene Sugg...

Simple; Walk into your neighborhood bike shop and test ride bikes they sell ..
Old 09-18-18, 10:47 AM
Tetsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I agree. The well damped suspension forks on the more expensive mountain bikes really do make a world of difference. The low end spring forks on lower end offerings are more show than performance. If you have a limited budget, spending part of that budget for a feature that doesn't really do very much doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks for your input!
Old 09-18-18, 09:12 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My guess (I don't ride this style of bike) is that the Spyder with 650B wheels and front suspension is aimed for more offroad but can do OK on the road, while the Radial I assume is a 700C wheel and rigid fork probably aimed mainly for road but can do OK offroad. If hills are an issue you probably find the Spyder a bit easier going up, due to lower gearing.

scott s.
Old 09-22-18, 06:36 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The old scott broke down. What is wrong with it? Flat tire, broken frame, wheels shot, or just everything.

Since you say that you don't know much about bikes, A few parts might have your old bike back up and running.