Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sram S300 Courier crankset $135 worth it?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-19-18, 07:07 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

I want to know if anyone would or would not recommend these cranks for the price. Are there other crank sets you would recommend in the $150 price range? Anyone ever ride Miche cranks? What about Sugino RD Messenger cranks?
Old 09-19-18, 09:59 AM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've put thousands of miles into S300 cranks. I personally could not tell the difference in stiffness between S300s and Omniums. If you want a 130BCD GXP setup, S300s are great. However, you can get the Miche Primato Advanced cranks for the same money which are lighter and 144BCD. You will have to use a square taper JIS bottom bracket, but I prefer square taper systems for fixed gear riding anyway. I'd decide what style bottom bracket you want to use, then get either the S300's or the Miches. Sugino RD cranks are inferior to both the S300s and Miches in every way.
Old 09-19-18, 10:29 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
They're all fine cranks. I had both S300s and Miches for a while. I'm not sure if this is true of the new version of the Miche cranks, but the older ones I used had a bit narrower than usual Q-factor if that matters to you. The cool thing about SRAM cranks (either S300s or Omniums) is that they have everything you need in one box and they're extremely simple to install. Some people gripe about the stock GXP bottom brackets that come with them, but I've never had a single problem with mine.
Old 09-19-18, 05:35 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I have an S300 on one of my bikes. It's a good crank, worked well for me from day one. I don't have thousands of miles on it, but I have at least a few hundred. Whether it's worth $135 is a question you'll have to answer for yourself. I'd certainly pay that much for another one before I'd pay $220 for an Omnium.

Of course, both models (and others) are hollow-spindle, external bearing designs. If you like that setup, the S300 is nice. The actual spec for this crank/bottom bracket is SRAM's Giga-X Pipe, aka GXP. As Seau said above, there have been reports of problems with the BB that comes with it. I've not had any trouble with mine--yet.

If you prefer square taper spindles, the S300 is obviously a hard pass. Another consideration is the chain ring. S300 uses 130mm BCD, and comes with a narrow (3/32") ring. Is this the kind of setup you want? If so, I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 09-19-18, 11:01 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by zubes5280
I've put thousands of miles into S300 cranks. I personally could not tell the difference in stiffness between S300s and Omniums. If you want a 130BCD GXP setup, S300s are great. However, you can get the Miche Primato Advanced cranks for the same money which are lighter and 144BCD. You will have to use a square taper JIS bottom bracket, but I prefer square taper systems for fixed gear riding anyway. I'd decide what style bottom bracket you want to use, then get either the S300's or the Miches. Sugino RD cranks are inferior to both the S300s and Miches in every way.
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I have an S300 on one of my bikes. It's a good crank, worked well for me from day one. I don't have thousands of miles on it, but I have at least a few hundred. Whether it's worth $135 is a question you'll have to answer for yourself. I'd certainly pay that much for another one before I'd pay $220 for an Omnium.

Of course, both models (and others) are hollow-spindle, external bearing designs. If you like that setup, the S300 is nice. The actual spec for this crank/bottom bracket is SRAM's Giga-X Pipe, aka GXP. As Seau said above, there have been reports of problems with the BB that comes with it. I've not had any trouble with mine--yet.

If you prefer square taper spindles, the S300 is obviously a hard pass. Another consideration is the chain ring. S300 uses 130mm BCD, and comes with a narrow (3/32") ring. Is this the kind of setup you want? If so, I think you'll be happy with it.
I do really like the simplicity of the GXP bottom bracket (i've had omniums before) although I don't want to have 130BCD cranks. I didn't look at the specs of the S300's before posting. I've realized now that if I go for the primato miche crankset + buying the bottom bracket + new chain ring will come out to $250+ so should I just go for omniums since it does come with the GXP BB and buy an FSA chain ring for $58? priced in retrogression
Old 09-19-18, 11:05 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by seau grateau
They're all fine cranks. I had both S300s and Miches for a while. I'm not sure if this is true of the new version of the Miche cranks, but the older ones I used had a bit narrower than usual Q-factor if that matters to you. The cool thing about SRAM cranks (either S300s or Omniums) is that they have everything you need in one box and they're extremely simple to install. Some people gripe about the stock GXP bottom brackets that come with them, but I've never had a single problem with mine.
I've heard the same thing but when I had mine on my previous bike (ran over by a truck) for the month that I had them they were fine. I know that's not nearly enough time to really test them out but I didn't see how they could go bad. They're so easy to clean and maintain even for a beginner.
Old 09-20-18, 07:08 AM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
I do really like the simplicity of the GXP bottom bracket (i've had omniums before) although I don't want to have 130BCD cranks. I didn't look at the specs of the S300's before posting. I've realized now that if I go for the primato miche crankset + buying the bottom bracket + new chain ring will come out to $250+ so should I just go for omniums since it does come with the GXP BB and buy an FSA chain ring for $58? priced in retrogression
The Primato chainring is actually really good, it wouldn't be an upgrade if you moved to an FSA chainring. If you like beefy chainrings + GXP + 144BCD, then check out the Tribe Cranksaw cranksets here: https://tribebicycles.com/collections/cranksets They're currently sold out online, but if you shoot them an email they will probably be able to tell you a store that has em or let you know when they will be back in stock.
Old 09-20-18, 12:04 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Might be a good time to ask yourself how much a couple extra teeth in your drivetrain are really worth.
Old 09-21-18, 05:05 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Might be a good time to ask yourself how much a couple extra teeth in your drivetrain are really worth.
Some guys just like the look of the bigger 144 BCD and are willing to pay for it. I think these people are nuts, but hey, it's their money.