Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Old 07-20-07, 12:34 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ultimate Cargo Bike

So I've been thinking about how to make the ultimate machine for shifting stuff. Someone on the C&V forum has converted one of those huge Wald baskets into a Porteur style front rack, and that made me think, what about an Xtracycle, or more likely either a Surly BigDummy, or one of the ones Kona has in the pipeline, with a porteur rack, and a lowrider front rack (which might foul the stays for the Wald, meaning spending for a more expensive porteur). The other idea I had was, what about putting a FreeRadical on this, from Pashley....

Old 07-20-07, 02:05 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very interesting thought. With an Xtracycle, I personally would want a 7 or 8 gear hub, although BAH may well disagree with my opinion. Do you know if the Pashley could at least have a 3 speed hub?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-20-07, 02:58 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Pashley comes with a 3 speed, and would be easy to upgrade to a 7 or 8 speed. The problem with it is that it's expensive, at £600 or so. There are similar bikes made in India and China, albeit single speed and with rod brakes, which ought to be much cheaper.
Old 07-22-07, 04:41 AM
johann

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ultimate, yes, to me though it might seem a bit overkill. I am glad my Xtracycle has a 7-speed internal hub. But if you insist on low-gravity in the front, here's the American version that would certainly mate up with an Xtracycle. I believe Worksman can configure just about any hub you would want on the rear (except maybe they don't stock Rohloffs

If you insist on carrying the big loads up front and in back, Worksman has something there as well...

Lots of options for configuring Worksman bikes, and always a fun site for the cargo-bike minded to visit:

Worksman Bicycles
Old 07-22-07, 09:48 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johann
Ultimate, yes, to me though it might seem a bit overkill. I am glad my Xtracycle has a 7-speed internal hub. But if you insist on low-gravity in the front, here's the American version that would certainly mate up with an Xtracycle. I believe Worksman can configure just about any hub you would want on the rear (except maybe they don't stock Rohloffs

If you insist on carrying the big loads up front and in back, Worksman has something there as well...

Lots of options for configuring Worksman bikes, and always a fun site for the cargo-bike minded to visit:

Worksman Bicycles
Worksman is all about 'cargo' but their main focus is industrial cargo use. As far as special hubs
etc. you can get anything you want as long as Worksman has an industrial market already.
Rohloff hubs are not an industrial item so the choice is single speed,3 speed, or 7 speed. Period.

IMO, in America, Worksman IS THE ultimate cargo bike. Built like a tank and will carry more than
you can pedal.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-22-07, 11:00 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now I realize the Worksman bikes are made for industrial purposes, so it's not a criticism of the company or quality of their bikes at all - but they're so ugly! What I really like about the Pashley is how aesthetically pleasing it is. I guess I'm shallow...
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-23-07, 11:32 AM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimate Cargo bike:

nuff said.

oh and this should be in UTILITY/CARGO CYCLING and not in "car free"
Old 07-23-07, 11:51 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are real beauties, Bushman. And be patient, we're working on it.
Old 07-23-07, 11:58 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Now I realize the Worksman bikes are made for industrial purposes, so it's not a criticism of the company or quality of their bikes at all - but they're so ugly!
Hey! Hey! Wait a minute Here!!! Worksman ARE beautiful cargo haulers they are so
robust and manly!!

Ya ought to see my tricked out Worksman PAV trike !!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-23-07, 12:48 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Those are real beauties, Bushman. And be patient, we're working on it.
i know i'm all excited and my exuberance is besting me..... dont mind me (i'm always a bit surly int he morning before that first pot of java)

Old 07-23-07, 02:21 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That thing is a beaut. I guess I should've qualified with "Ultimate cargo bike that still looks a bit like a bike!"
Old 07-23-07, 07:50 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bushman
Ultimate Cargo bike:

"
What is that; a velo coffin?
Old 07-23-07, 07:59 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Well, there could be a secondary market for velovampires on tour.
Old 07-23-07, 08:12 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Only for midgets

I have a friend in the Netherlands that has one of those...belonged to his grandfather who owned a bakery. They used it to deliver bread to the local restaurants. I am sure there are other uses for them too.

And Bushman, I agree those things are drop dead gorgeous.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-23-07, 08:40 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that thing pictured above (post#7) is a bicycle hearse.

Hey, everybody, let's write in our wills that we want to be transported by pedal power after death! Heehee.
Old 07-23-07, 08:41 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nope that is a locking Tradesman toolbox 4' x 5' .

in the new year i'll be dropping the coin ($5000 here in BC, Canada to bring one in) on that very model, with an additional $2000 upgrade for a custom built bull low Slumph drive on the BB and a Rohloff rear hub , with drum brake.
Old 07-23-07, 10:01 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

in the new year i'll be dropping the coin ($5000 here in BC, Canada to bring one in) on that very model, with an additional $2000 upgrade for a custom built bull low Slumph drive on the BB and a Rohloff rear hub , with drum brake.
You realize we'll all find you and hunt you down if you do not post pics when the time comes, don't you?
Old 07-23-07, 11:09 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You are going to have to go with a disk brake on that Rohloff, they don't make a drum brake version as yet.
Old 07-23-07, 11:31 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a question: How do these things work on big hills?! Seattle has a LOT of hills, and I'm wondering how one could get a big load over Phinney Ridge, for example. This is a serious question, BTW. Last spring I borrowed a truck to haul science fair projects across town, but I would have preferred to transport them by bike...
Old 07-23-07, 11:39 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand corrected on the drum brake. The drum brake is only available on the rear if you go with a singlespeed setup. So looks like disc brake on the back if i go with the rollof, and smaller drums on the front.

as for hills, low and slow baby! spin spin spin spin. Let the gears do the work. When descending STEEP long hills, alternate the brakes (front, rear, on off, repeat. ) this lets the brake shoes cool and prevents brake fade.

the most i have carried in a borrowed cargo bike (Workman) was 500lbs. Going up hil using a 20 front 34 rear cog was actually quite easy. Going down i had some brake fade, but as soon as i pumped the brakes it went away. The hill was about a 15% grade, long and curvy.
Old 07-24-07, 12:31 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These could be yours for only 2000 crowns.

Old 07-24-07, 02:59 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-24-07, 04:00 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Random Thoughts.....

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
So I've been thinking about how to make the ultimate machine for shifting stuff. ...
Overall I prefer the bakfiets-style (the long-johns).

....The problem with the delivery bike pictured is that the cargo floor (inside the basket) isn't as low as it could be, and if you need to carry anything heavy, it's best to carry it as low as you can get it.

....The Xtracycles don't impress me much because while it definitely does add cargo capacity, it's very odd-shaped capacity. The long-johns with their big open boxes on the front would seem to be far more convenient for just tossing stuff in. I want a bike with baskets that I can just toss stuff in and go! Having to strap stuff on is a pain. If you use a bike to carry a lot, you're going to be strapping and unstrapping things to and from it hundreds of times, perhaps thousands of times. Consider for one short moment, how much of your time those straps are going to take up, and you realize why it's best to have a big deep basket you can just toss things in and ride away.

....Also I prefer front-mounted baskets, because you can watch what you're carrying, while you're riding. If something comes loose or falls out, there's a decent chance you may see it happen. Not so with a rear-basket bike!

-----

About the only changes I'd make to a bakfiets is I'd want a wire-mesh basket instead of a wood box; the wire mesh is more durable and less wind resistance. And I'd want the rear of the frame leaned back like a RANS Fusion, with the same style seat.
~
Old 07-24-07, 08:38 AM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I have a question: How do these things work on big hills?! Seattle has a LOT of hills, and I'm wondering how one could get a big load over Phinney Ridge, for example. This is a serious question, BTW. Last spring I borrowed a truck to haul science fair projects across town, but I would have preferred to transport them by bike...
Stoke Monkey? Or is that cheating?
Old 07-24-07, 08:57 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This is by no means the 'ultimate' cargo bike, but it sure did serve me well for over a decade. The biggest Wald basket available in front, paperboy wald baskets in the back.6 speed drivetrain for hillclimbing.

Used it enough to actually break the front basket from fatigue, replaced it with same HD Wald basket. Sad to say I snapped the frame last year and need to recreate it with a new cruiser frame.

I had been thinking of reinforcing the stays and making a big platform for the back baskets that could be installed when needed, to haul a LOT of bulky stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dreamybike1.jpg (71.4 KB, 322 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.