Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

underground bike transport

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 11:37 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The city of Berlin, Germany, makes it a lot easier for bikers to travel cross town by underground if needed. Certain wagons are especially for bike carrying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8163656.jpg (94.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-18-12, 11:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
Where is the bike?
Old 09-18-12, 05:44 PM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
London has plans to do just the opposite: Bike lanes overhead. See the video here, super-cool.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar..._TECH_20120918
Old 09-18-12, 07:35 PM
jettore

Bikes: 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, 73? Torpado, 85 Trek 400

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm, I'll have to remember this one. "Oh sorry, I wasn't taking your photo. Just trying to get a shot of your bike so I can post it on the internet".
Old 09-19-12, 06:54 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The year I left Seoul they had just started to implement a plan where the last car on each subway train would have a whole side devoted to bike racks.
Old 09-19-12, 09:14 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lesiz
London has plans to do just the opposite: Bike lanes overhead. See the video here, super-cool.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar..._TECH_20120918
This would be great. I would like it more if they did cover it. Also, they should make the bikeways downhill so you could coast or ride faster--like a long ramp. Then it would be worth a pound a ride ($1.61).

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-19-12, 11:59 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jettore
Hmm, I'll have to remember this one. "Oh sorry, I wasn't taking your photo. Just trying to get a shot of your bike so I can post it on the internet".
she didnt mind...
Old 09-19-12, 12:29 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jettore
There's a site for that.

https://www.ratemyvelo.com/

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 09-19-12 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 12:37 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice frame
Old 09-19-12, 06:24 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The problem with bikes above and below ground is that these systems tend to enable car driving on the best real estate. They tend to make car driving very convenient since bicycles and I assume soon, pedestrians, won't be present on street level.

The best urban plans attempt to discourage car traffic and squeeze bicycles into what infrastructure currently exists. Get enough bicycles and enough infrastructure and it will be a real discouragement to car drivers.

Perhaps they'll park their cars and ride bicycles to work.
Old 09-19-12, 08:40 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
The problem with bikes above and below ground is that these systems tend to enable car driving on the best real estate. They tend to make car driving very convenient since bicycles and I assume soon, pedestrians, won't be present on street level.

The best urban plans attempt to discourage car traffic and squeeze bicycles into what infrastructure currently exists. Get enough bicycles and enough infrastructure and it will be a real discouragement to car drivers.

Perhaps they'll park their cars and ride bicycles to work.
This is a very good point. We shouldn't just surrender our rights to use the streets. Bikes and peds can be effective traffic calming devices. Living streets, complete streets and woonerfs, for example.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-20-12, 05:43 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
This is a very good point. We shouldn't just surrender our rights to use the streets. Bikes and peds can be effective traffic calming devices. Living streets, complete streets and woonerfs, for example.
right... we need to slow down that notion that streets are the property of cars. It's unfortunate that the notion is so embedded in almost everything we do.
Old 09-21-12, 08:23 AM
jettore

Bikes: 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, 73? Torpado, 85 Trek 400

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas
There's a site for that.

https://www.ratemyvelo.com/

Wow, who knew? Here's my favorite .............. bike.
https://www.ratemyvelo.com/bicycle/of...k/2012-24.html
Old 09-21-12, 10:16 AM
javal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right... we need to slow down that notion that streets are the property of cars. It's unfortunate that the notion is so embedded in almost everything we do.
I agree fully on that, but since (in this Berlin case) bikes evolve above and below ground its more a convenient service for riders not to have to chose above ground. In poor weather for instance. Or when your stamina is out...
Old 09-22-12, 08:30 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I agree fully on that, but since (in this Berlin case) bikes evolve above and below ground its more a convenient service for riders not to have to chose above ground. In poor weather for instance. Or when your stamina is out...
I actually enjoy riding in crappy weather.

I'm all for cyclists getting around in poor weather, but seems to me like you could replace an underground subway system with a few rain coats.

My concern is that we still leave the car infrastructure in place in our cities. It's clear to me that cycling and pedestrian traffic needs to push cars out of the picture, rather than try to accommodate. This goal, of course, goes well beyond the landscape of our cities. Reducing car traffic is part of our future as we deal with climate change and human domination of our planet-wide systems like air and water.
Old 09-23-12, 03:31 AM
javal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually enjoy riding in crappy weather.

I'm all for cyclists getting around in poor weather, but seems to me like you could replace an underground subway system with a few rain coats.

My concern is that we still leave the car infrastructure in place in our cities. It's clear to me that cycling and pedestrian traffic needs to push cars out of the picture, rather than try to accommodate. This goal, of course, goes well beyond the landscape of our cities. Reducing car traffic is part of our future as we deal with climate change and human domination of our planet-wide systems like air and water.
This will probably make cycling un-attractive for loads of people. And if future climate and bike riding is correlated, we should make bike riding convenient for those who see themselves as motorists. And theres no rain coats for lost stamina, either...
Old 09-23-12, 09:20 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

This will probably make cycling un-attractive for loads of people. And if future climate and bike riding is correlated, we should make bike riding convenient for those who see themselves as motorists. And theres no rain coats for lost stamina, either...
Lost stamina shouldn't be a problem if you ride a reasonable bike at a reasonable speed, and if you are reasonably fit rather than crippled by a sedentary car-bound lifestyle.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-06-12, 02:58 AM
javal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Lost stamina shouldn't be a problem if you ride a reasonable bike at a reasonable speed, and if you are reasonably fit rather than crippled by a sedentary car-bound lifestyle.
Theres hoards of people with non-psysical lifestyles. The US in particular? Un-healthy lifestyles in the western world are also an epidemic threat to future society, as is pollution. But essentially, convinient solutions for urban bike riders could promote a growing group to chose bikes instead of motortransport. And it makes sense.
Old 10-06-12, 05:37 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ok... but to give you an example that I've experienced. It's turned cool here recently. 7C (40F ish) and windy. If you were just looking out the window at it, you might be tempted to say it's a rotten day and I'll take the car (or do nothing.)

But once you dress correctly and get out in it, it's really a blast to ride in such weather.

Don't knock it till you give it a try.
Old 10-06-12, 06:00 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
LOL, well Gerv, your a better man than I, I HATE, riding in snow on ice or below 30 F degrees, (can do 20 F, IF it's sunny)! Still I just don't think no matter "how many" bicycles are on the road, that cars will get pushed out as you say. In fact, "push come to shove", if there are "too many" of us bicycle riders, at least in the USA, my bets is that we will be "BANNED" from riding on roads and "forced" onto the sidewalks and trails, jmho, ymmv.

Old 10-13-12, 12:33 AM
javal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok... but to give you an example that I've experienced. It's turned cool here recently. 7C (40F ish) and windy. If you were just looking out the window at it, you might be tempted to say it's a rotten day and I'll take the car (or do nothing.)

But once you dress correctly and get out in it, it's really a blast to ride in such weather.

Don't knock it till you give it a try.

As in the the case in Berlin, the biker/commuter has an option if/when the weather gets better/worse to jump the underground. But 7 C is hardly bad. Over here people ride several degrees minus.
Old 10-13-12, 09:13 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As in the the case in Berlin, the biker/commuter has an option if/when the weather gets better/worse to jump the underground. But 7 C is hardly bad. Over here people ride several degrees minus.
Sounds pretty much like my situation. I grab the bus when it gets really cold. 7C is a really nice day for me