Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Question on 10 speed or 27 speed?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:55 PM
ericgio87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone.

I'm completely new to biking. I recently purchased a cannondale quick cx 3 from REI. I've been doing a mix of bike paths, rail trails, and dirt trails (multi use hiking paths, and one single track place).

The Quick CX3 has been great, I really have no complaints. But a friend of mine was telling me I should get something geared more to MTB rather than hybrid, especially if I plan to continue doing dirt trails, single track, and rail trails. I was turned onto the Cannondale Trail 5. It's in my price range (don't want to go over $1k), has a 100mm rockshock front suspension over a 50mm suntour with a handlebar lockout instead of fork , and all deore components as opposed to a mix of acera, deore, and alivio.

With REI's return policy, I ordered the trail5 to test ride around some of the same trails I've been doing and see if there's a difference over the cx3 and figure out which one to keep.

I'm thinking I may lose too much speed and easy riding on paved or loose gravel bike paths going from the quick cx3, which is a 27 speed, to the trail 5, which is a 10 speed . But I'm a novice - so I'm not sure if it's going to be that much of a difference at all. Can you please advise on the two? Which would you choose/why? Thank you! =)
Old 06-22-18, 05:12 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Based on your riding experience the CX 3 seems like a good fit for you. Your riding needs are similar to mine and that's the one I would pick. But until you've ridden both and can do your own comparison, it's just idle conversation. I like a lot of gear choices because I spend a lot of time in different terrains. Some asphalt, some trail, and on occasion even cross country or beach. Good luck
Old 06-22-18, 06:21 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's not the number of speeds but the gear range covered by the drive system that counts. If you are going to ride rough trails with steep hills (like you find in the Southwest) you will need low gears for climbing. That's the reason MTBs are geared lower than road bikes. If you take two bikes with the same gear range and one is a 10 speed and the other is 27, you have a better chance of finding a comfortable gear for all conditions you face for 27 compared to the 10 speed. You will also find that there is often some overlap in gears so that you really don't get 27 distinctly different gears with the 27 speed. You can use this gear calculator to find out exactly what gears are on each bike if you look at the specifications for the bikes: Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator or Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Rail trails should never be a problem as you will never encounter steep hills on an old rail line. I remember the days when 10 speeds were all you could get so prefer a bike with more choices. You can go faster on the downhills and save your knees on the uphills.
Old 06-23-18, 05:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Had a 27 speed, 3 by 3 by 3 , in 1957,
built it with parts put on my S-A 3 speed. JC Higgins..

before I got a 10 speed, 5 by 2, or an 18 speed 6 by 3..
Old 06-27-18, 06:08 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The rougher or more varied the terrain, the more low gears you want. Better to have more than less. Go for 3x9.
Old 06-27-18, 07:59 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ericgio87
...With REI's return policy, I ordered the trail5 to test ride around some of the same trails I've been doing and see if there's a difference over the cx3 and figure out which one to keep...
The intent of the return policy is not for you to take a bike on a long term test ride to see if you like it better than your current bike and return it if you don't.
Old 06-27-18, 02:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The intent of the return policy is not for you to take a bike on a long term test ride to see if you like it better than your current bike and return it if you don't.
That use of return policies is exactly why so many retailers are making it tougher to legitimately return things today. Well spoken!
Old 06-30-18, 04:51 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a similar decision a couple of years ago. I own a Specialized Hard Rock and was getting back into biking. I realize that bike is more of an older hybrid with 24 gears (I think, but haven’t counted the gears in awhile), and it handles gravel, trails, unpaved surfaces fairly well. I bought it new when the whole family was riding together and liked the bike. When I started riding again with my wife, we were always on pavement, so I got the itch to get something more designed for paved roads/trails. Decided on the Trek Fx3 which is more designed for pavement than my other bike. So, your decision might be more based on where you ride and if you are more varied in your choice of trail/road/dirt/pavement, you may just want to keep both!
Old 07-01-18, 06:55 PM
ericgio87

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the trail 5, and all trails, were not in stock at the store when I was purchasing a bike. Also, just getting into biking, I did not know what kind I'd be into. The fact that they have the return policy meant I could buy the trail online and then be able to try it. Regardless of whether or not you or anyone else agrees with it, it IS the letter of the law on the return policy and is 100% within my right to do so. I even made it clear my intent to the people at the store when I purchased it and they said that was fine. So pound sand. Jerk. You didnt even answer my question. Of which I dont need anymore since I got to try both bikes and terrain. Good day to you *******.
Old 07-01-18, 08:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If it's not, the people advertising the policy should state that.
Old 07-02-18, 05:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ericgio87
...Regardless of whether or not you or anyone else agrees with it, it IS the letter of the law on the return policy and is 100% within my right to do so...
My mistake. In that case, just keep buying and returning bikes until you find the one you like. Better yet, return them both at the end of the season and get new ones next year. You could get a fat bike for the winter and return it in the spring. So many options. Good luck!
Old 07-20-18, 05:05 PM
dfischer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, you come here, ask for help, show at least questionable ethics, and follow up with calling the members names? In two whole posts?

Even if you were right, and I'm not suggesting you are, was that your thought on getting more help?

Ah well, thanks for showing this newbie what not to do in someone else's home.