Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kona Rove Steel v. Specialized Sequoia

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-19-19, 09:10 PM
timacn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I am an older guy looking to get a "gravel bike." Something with drop bars. I'm trying to decide between a 2019 Kona Rove Steel and an entry level leftover 2018 Specialized Sequoia. I can get a good deal on the Sequoia. I plan to use this to ride mostly rail trail routes, some dirt roads, etc. I have also considered the Cannondale Topstone, Trek Crosscheck, and Fairdale Weekender, but of those three, I have only ridden the Crosscheck. (Nice bike by the way)

If any of you can provide insights, information, or recommendations to help me make my decision, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-19, 07:15 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Jamis Renegade?
Old 04-22-19, 12:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
There are dozens of bikes at $1500 or less that will competently do what you want. You basically just want something with drop bars and an endurance geometry(vs race) where the bars are up a bit and reach is shorter, that can also handle wider tires for stability and comfort.

All these dozens of bikes will vary slightly.
- Some will have thru axle, some quick release. Both are perfectly fine, regardless of what many on the internet claim.
- Some will have Sora, some Tiagra, and some 105. All are perfectly fine, regardless of what many on the internet claim.
- Some will have hydraulic brakes and some(most at this range?) will have cable brakes. Both are perfectly fine, regardless of what many on the internet claim.
- All will have wheels that are probably perfectly serviceable and not light. All will have stock tires that if replaced, would be lighter and faster, even if the replacement tires are wider.

Seriously- buy based on what feels the most comfortable and which bike you like the look of the most. Buy in that order. Fit 1st, look 2nd, then components 3rd.

This site could recommend so many bikes in your price range that you get dizzy with options. The differences are extremely negligible as it applies to your wants and use. Fit, look, components.
Likes For mstateglfr: