Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Warmer temps coming

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Warmer temps coming

Old 03-25-19, 09:46 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
Warmer temps coming

Looks like temps into the 60s°F will finally move into our coastal southern New England area for the upcoming weekend. I know that some of will still have a few more weeks of cooler temps. But, it's this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.

Dan
Old 03-25-19, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.
I agree but recently someone reminded me w have contributors from Australia & New Zealand on the other side of the planet that have winter opposite from "us". March/April are so cruel tho. next week forecast shows rain/no sun. wutz up w/ that?
Old 03-25-19, 09:59 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Looks like temps into the 60s°F will finally move into our coastal southern New England area for the upcoming weekend. I know that some of will still have a few more weeks of cooler temps. But, it's this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.

Dan
There was a good suggestion made on another thread - check back in for info on off-season sales on winter cycling swag
Old 03-25-19, 10:04 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I agree but recently someone reminded me w have contributors from Australia & New Zealand on the other side of the planet that have winter opposite from "us". March/April are so cruel tho. next week forecast shows rain/no sun. wutz up w/ that?
Oh true! So sorry you 'down unders.' I didn't intentionally overlook you. Maybe I should say...we now hand off operation of the Winter Forum to those of you in the southern hemisphere.

Dan
Old 03-31-19, 12:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Spring weather is often frustrating because it's warmer but not downright warm. Well, for some reason, I am enjoying it more now than in any other year. It's cool and damp, and I'm loving it. I can't explain it.

I took a ride by myself yesterday in the country. I knew not to do a big distance because I'm in my winter condition. I've been riding but less. I did 16 miles, some very hilly. One hill was a 1,000 ft climb in 3 miles. I like tough climbs. My top speed going down was 43 mph.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-31-19, 01:42 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
In fact, unlike last year I predict a very warm spring/summer for 2019. At least here in SoCal. Right now its great outdoor activity weather though. But come later in the season, don't forget to stay hydrated.

BTW, my I had on tomato plant to survive the winter and has already begun blooming again. Pretty sweet for tomatoes that don't survive in the cold.
Old 03-31-19, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Raining or Burning..

Oregon this year had the main Pacific storm track coming ashore further south, Nor Cal ..

so this year's Forest Fire Season may start sooner.. Air quality went down fast last year .
Even on the coast , the BC fires in Canada had lots of particulares aloft .. affecting people here..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 02:46 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Spring weather is often frustrating because it's warmer but not downright warm. Well, for some reason, I am enjoying it more now than in any other year. It's cool and damp, and I'm loving it. I can't explain it.

I took a ride by myself yesterday in the country. I knew not to do a big distance because I'm in my winter condition. I've been riding but less. I did 16 miles, some very hilly. One hill was a 1,000 ft climb in 3 miles. I like tough climbs. My top speed going down was 43 mph.
Have they swept the roads there? Here, roads and paths are still covered with winter abrasives and I wouldn't even venture riding at that speed. One hill on my commute I take at 60 km/h normally but at this time of the year, I think my max speed was around 30 km/h. It does lightly veer left mid way and a more pronounced right at the bottom so that doesn't help either.
Old 03-31-19, 02:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@SylvainG, I didn't have a problem. Perhaps the rain took care of it. Well, I did get dirty, but I didn't need to slow down because of a loose surface.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-31-19, 05:46 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by noglider
@SylvainG, I didn't have a problem. Perhaps the rain took care of it. Well, I did get dirty, but I didn't need to slow down because of a loose surface.
Must be raining really hard where you are Here, on some roads and paths, abrasive stays for weeks after all the snow has melted. Took a fall two years ago going around a corner because I slipped on that abrasive.
Old 03-31-19, 07:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Hmm, I don't know. That doesn't happen here, for whatever reason. Is it hillier here, or do we use less schmutz? I don't know.

Old 03-31-19, 07:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I was out a bit today. It was chilly this morning, then very nice this afternoon.

Unfortunately I hit the bike path in the early afternoon, and everyone and their dog was out walking. Lots of dogs.
Old 04-01-19, 10:03 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Have they swept the roads there? Here, roads and paths are still covered with winter abrasives and I wouldn't even venture riding at that speed. One hill on my commute I take at 60 km/h normally but at this time of the year, I think my max speed was around 30 km/h.
We've got that problem in western Wisconsin as well. There are also a lot of potholes that have not yet been filled as well as rough surfaces created by salt and water runoff.

I did get some good speeds the other day (38 MPH/61 km/h), but it was on my gravel bike with gravel tires in order to handle the debris and bumps better. I also ride single speed this time of year, which is good training and also limits my top speeds.

There are no street sweepers in the rural areas, so we really need the rain to come and wash the salt, sand, and gravel away. Snow is still possible, and then it will be dry again, so the roads might be dirty for a little while still.
Old 04-01-19, 10:15 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I was out a bit today. It was chilly this morning, then very nice this afternoon.

Unfortunately I hit the bike path in the early afternoon, and everyone and their dog was out walking. Lots of dogs.
Around here too... there are people walking on early nice weather and they are in three, and I saw four people walking, jogging side by side on the mup.
Yesterday, there was a triple walking and I started ringing my bell from 200 ft or so since I saw a bike coming other way.
The lady didn't move right and was walking in the middle of the path, so I have to speed down, almost stop and then pass when it was clear.
Old 04-01-19, 10:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Around here too... there are people walking on early nice weather and they are in three, and I saw four people walking, jogging side by side on the mup.
Yesterday, there was a triple walking and I started ringing my bell from 200 ft or so since I saw a bike coming other way.
The lady didn't move right and was walking in the middle of the path, so I have to speed down, almost stop and then pass when it was clear.
Most of the people that I passed were walking to the right. But, one still should slow down a bit, and announce oneself. And, hopefully cut through a hole without bikes or pedestrians passing from the opposite direction.

In one section of path, it became almost constant. More people than I've seen out in quite some time.
Old 04-06-19, 07:02 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I must confess I was a bad boy this winter (Zwift), but I got out more than five times in December, three times in each of Jan and Feb, a good amount in March and haven’t ridden indoors last five rides. Hopefully I’m outside until next December!

I still think I’m in the top (or bottom) 1% because I see almost no one on the roads Dec-Mar (hour outside Toronto). Not sure if it’s where I live, but I see 90% of the riders I’ll see in a year, July-August. I have friends who still refuse to ride outside because of ‘salt’, lol, I have steel bikes and have only wiped salt off once in the 10-20 rides I did this winter.
Old 04-06-19, 09:06 PM
KraneXL

Those warmer temps can't come around soon enough for me. I grow weary of the cold. Earlier this week, it was forecast to get up to 90 by the weekend, but instead it was unusually cold yesterday, and I had to go out for a doctor's visit and to transact some business. Generally, I hibernate all winter.

My NYs resolution is to drop down to 10% bf which has been a goal of mine for sometime now. I realize it a lofty challenge, but I need it to keep myself motivated and from becoming sedentary. I've lost fat before so I know its mostly diet, but once you hit 12% your body will hold on to the remainder for dear life. A survival mechanism I suppose?

As of right now I'm around 12%, I still haven't even started my scheduled aerobics yet which should be good for another 2%. I doubt 10% is sustainable long-term, but I just want to know if it can be done, and what it takes to get there.
Old 04-06-19, 09:41 PM
SylvainG

Can't wait for the warmer temperature to finally stick around... Forecasting freezing rain Sunday night

Today is the 145th day with at least 1cm of snow on the ground. A record since 1955 (the day they started recording this statistic where I am). I doubt it will disappear by the end of next week. Forecasting snow again Tuesday.

Old 04-07-19, 11:34 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
We were just off the podium for consecutive days where the minimum temperature was at or below 0C. 4th place with 191 days spanning Sept 25 to April 3. The weather last fall was the worst I can ever remember. Currently daytime highs are mostly under 10C, quite nice but not nice enough for the fair weather riders yet.
Old 04-07-19, 02:26 PM
KraneXL

Ah, finally some nice mild temps with a bit of humidity (making it feel even warmer) scheduled for this week. A welcome change. Although about 10 degrees above the perfect cycling temps. But definitely time to get out and enjoy the ride. Is it Spring yet?

Old 04-07-19, 03:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Warmer temps aren't coming, they're already here.

Though I must say the wet winter has made the spring weather bipolar-- today was two full bottles of water, yesterday I didn't even take water for a 90 minute ride, because when I hit the road it was mostly cloudy and about 60º.
Old 04-07-19, 04:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Warmer temps aren't coming, they're already here.

Though I must say the wet winter has made the spring weather bipolar-- today was two full bottles of water, yesterday I didn't even take water for a 90 minute ride, because when I hit the road it was mostly cloudy and about 60º.
Winter is coming, here. Again.

Old 04-08-19, 10:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
We had our fun! Low 70s and sunny today (I worked for 11 hours of course). Now it's back to business time.

Old 04-10-19, 06:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm already enjoying the weather, but I'll enjoy it even more when I can wear shorts on the bike. I don't like to wear them when the temperature is below 50º or 55ºF, and we are still getting that often.

Old 04-11-19, 09:41 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Its been cooler this week, but I'm not letting low single digit C temps keep me from riding. Far better weather than other parts of the continent are getting. When its cooler I've been riding my mtb since the saddle height is still at my winter clipless boot height.

I've also been sticking to the city which is reminding me why I don't like riding in the city. Motorists constantly trying to yield their right of way to me while I'm stopped with my foot down, which is more annoying than dangerous since I stay put and wave them past. On a bike you just can't do the same sort of thing a vehicle does without startling the skittish motorists. Rolling out half way and stopping at the median invariably causes a driver to panic and stop in the middle of the road, so I avoid doing it. Where the MUP crosses the road I'll hold back 20 feet from the intersection looking for a clear spot, if I stop at the road drivers will try stopping for me nearly 100% of the time (with trailing vehicles occasionally blowing past the stopped vehicle using the parking lane). I have a bunch of routes that minimize drivers doing this, but for the past month I've been covering all the roads I usually ignore as I wait for warmer weather.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.