Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I need some help with this decision

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 06:15 PM
timacn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to decide between a Cannondale Topstone and a Specialized Diverge. I thought I wanted a steel frame (I weigh about 240) and considered a Kona Rove Steel, a Specialized Sequoia, and a Fairdale Weekender Drop.

The more I read, the more I realized that I will not be doing hard core "off road" things, mostly gravel rail trails, fire roads, canal paths, etc. A Topstone or Diverge seemed to make more sense for my plans, though I have not ridden either.

Anybody have any recommendations or insights about the Topstone or Diverge? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-22-19, 07:42 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by timacn
I am trying to decide between a Cannondale Topstone and a Specialized Diverge. I thought I wanted a steel frame (I weigh about 240) and considered a Kona Rove Steel, a Specialized Sequoia, and a Fairdale Weekender Drop.

The more I read, the more I realized that I will not be doing hard core "off road" things, mostly gravel rail trails, fire roads, canal paths, etc. A Topstone or Diverge seemed to make more sense for my plans, though I have not ridden either.

Anybody have any recommendations or insights about the Topstone or Diverge? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
There's quite a bit of discussion here already on both. I think they both have their own dedicated threads in fact. Do you have a hard and fast budget?
Old 04-22-19, 09:14 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recently decided on the Topstone, but for a while the Diverge was in the running because of it's fit. It felt great on a test ride, but I ultimately ruled it out for a number of reasons:
  1. Proprietary Future Shock (FS). There was recently a recall for recent FS parts, which in and of itself isn't a dealbreaker, but I didn't want to be faced with needing to replace a part 10 years down the line and not be able to because X shop I went to didn't have any FS parts available.
  2. Lack of standard fender/rack mounts. It has some, though I think they're targeted towards Specialized's own "plug and play" fenders, and I've read competing things about how well setup it is for standard rack/fender capability.
  3. The cost. The equivalent component level on the Diverge compared to the Topstone is $200 more, without hydro brakes, and you have to jump up $1,200+ to get 105 with a hydro setup. You get the carbon frame at that level, but the Topstone certainly wins at value.
I've been enjoying the Topstone, and can try to answer any questions you have about it! The only downsides I've found so far are the stock wheelsets are pretty heavy (easy to remedy with a wheelset upgrade considering the price of the bike), and when using a rear rack the rear axle lever runs into interference issues, which is less than ideal.
Old 04-22-19, 09:54 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Lava
I've been enjoying the Topstone, and can try to answer any questions you have about it! The only downsides I've found so far are the stock wheelsets are pretty heavy
Can confirm. I'm shopping for a new set for my Topstone. Likely Hunt.
Old 04-22-19, 11:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Can confirm. I'm shopping for a new set for my Topstone. Likely Hunt.
How goes the topstone so far? I mean how is it, now that you have a working crank on the bike? The geometry still too upright and relaxed or is it feeling good with some miles under your belt?
Old 04-22-19, 11:45 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How goes the topstone so far? I mean how is it, now that you have a working crank on the bike? The geometry still too upright and relaxed or is it feeling good with some miles under your belt?
It's feeling way better. I think a new set of wheels and tires would set it off. Ultegra Hydro 8000 is a dream.
Old 04-24-19, 08:09 PM
timacn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help!