Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 12:08 AM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

My Roker out and about on my local mt. Probably best pic I have taken with it. It's a 3 mile climb @ a sold 7-8% grade the whole way 3 Square Hollow
Old 11-19-18, 12:10 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

wild grape vines hanging over the road
Old 11-19-18, 12:13 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Top of 3 square Hollow overlook into the valley
Old 11-19-18, 12:29 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry to bombard this thread. Just set up my password/account again tonight and thought I would post some pics
Old 11-19-18, 12:32 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry to bombard this thread. I just joined back up again tonight and thought I would post some pics.

Zman

My roadie bike a 2006 Lemond Victoirre which I call Victoria Secret. @ the Mineral Belt trail Leadville CO. You need to do this ride lots of mining history and great views.
Old 11-19-18, 12:34 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

No explanation needed
Old 11-19-18, 12:36 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Old 11-19-18, 12:38 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Luv to climb Colorado mts.
Old 11-19-18, 12:41 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The precious metal molybdenum that is used in moly bikes is still mined here even though it is a toxic site. This is at the top of Freemont Pass

Last edited by Zurichman2; 11-19-18 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 12:47 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

fixer upper Old mining shack on the Mineral Belt Trail
Old 11-19-18, 12:49 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

My attempt on Pikes Peak. Late Start
Old 11-19-18, 06:01 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
My goal now is to ride gravel bike rides/races in all 50 states and it has to be at least 50 miles. 2018 I rode in 8 different States 8 months in a row.
That’s a great bunch of rides. Got your 2019 rides planned yet?
Old 11-19-18, 08:23 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, Zurichman! Really nice bunch of rides and pictures, thanks for posting them.

You seem to have used at least different bikes on these rides. Is the Roker the latest and greatest?
Old 11-19-18, 09:32 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

That’s a great bunch of rides. Got your 2019 rides planned yet?

Yeah now that I somewhat have the Roker dialed in and some of the shorter gravel rides under my belt I plan on stepping up my game some and doing some of the longer rides. So far I know I have 3 rides planned.

Swamp Fox Gravel Fondo Charleston SC March 9th
Skull 120 in Burns Oregon June 15th
Gravel Worlds a 150 miler in Lincoln Nebraska Aug. 17th

I plan on retiring in 2 years so want to pay some bills off first. I use to do the rando riding 200k 300k 400k 600k and 1200k. I have finished 2 1200k's. I gave up the roadie riding because of getting hit by the drunk on the night ride on my roadie bike. I still want to go ride the PBP Paris Brest Paris 1200k in my lifetime. It is quite expensive so not in the works for next year but I want to ride it in 4 years.

With that being said they are having a million meters ride out of Green Bay this next year a 1000k ride I want to go do that. July 12-14th

Maybe a trip out to Wyoming to do one of the Wyoming gravel series rides.

I did enjoy the Grusk(Gravel Race up Spruce Knob) so much that I have thoughts of going back and finishing the full monty on that. It's a great detox weekend. There is also the Hilly Billy Roubaix there. I think if I went to that ride that I would be the oldest finisher there on that ride as the record right now is either 66 or 67.

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 11-19-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:48 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
Hey, Zurichman! Really nice bunch of rides and pictures, thanks for posting them.

You seem to have used at least different bikes on these rides. Is the Roker the latest and greatest?
Yeah the Roker is the latest and greatest. It is a very sweet bike. I have no clue why Raleigh stopped making it. I started with the Tamland and it weighed 25 lbs. in a size 56 cm frame. I will fully admit that I was and still am somewhat out of shape. If I was only riding in the Mid West this probably would be a great gravel bike for the money.

Advantages of the Roker
Hydro brakes I will never buy another gravel bike without hydro brakes I luv to climb but still learning to go downhill fast
weighs 20 lbs in a 56 cm
all carbon soaks up the bumps better than Tamland seems to
being 5 lbs lighter it climbs like a dream
Tamland didn't come stock with Clement(now Donnley) xplor MSO tires that were tubeless ready. The Roker came with the same tires but tubeless ready
It is very responsive to almost any type of riding. The bike is a lot more of a bike right now than I am a gravel rider/racer

Things I don't like on the Roker

1x Sram some people seem to like the 1x I don't happen to be one of them. Being a Shimano guy all my life it took me a really long time to just get use to the shifting up and down. On my last ride/race Gray Gray's Gretna ride I was riding with another rider the last 10 miles. Towards the end we were on a rails and trails kind of flat riding. We weren't riding that fast but I was shifting all over the place trying to stay at the same pace he was riding. At my end the bottom 4 gears have too much of a jump in it.

Paint seems to chip pretty easy

Lots of people say why not sale the Roker and get some other kind of 2x bike. Liking the Roker that much that I probably am switching it out to 2x Shimano.

Zman
Old 11-19-18, 11:23 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
An Honorary Member?
Meet Bob, who is 90 years old, working on 91. I met Bob around two years ago at McDonalds. Don't worry, he rarely eats there, but hangs out with a small group of friends that come and go throughout the day. Bob gave up his drivers license a couple years back, and relies solely on his bicycle to get around these days, unless a friend offers to take him somewhere.
He rides approximately six miles a day, from his home to McDonalds and back. That's a one mile trip each way, and usually three times a day. His first ride starts at about 5:30 AM.
Bob is completely computer illiterate, and doesn't even own a cell phone, let alone a smart phone, so I'm submitting his application here for him. I will probably show him the thread later via smartphone.
Bob's bicycle? A 21 speed Marin that he found in a thrift store for $20. Yes, he knows a quality bike when he see's it.
Photo taken with my cell phone.
Keep Riding Bob and great deal on that Marin! But McDonalds coffee....I'm not too sure about that?
Old 11-19-18, 11:25 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Zurich,
LOVE that LeMond frame. I like panels and is that 853 or Titanium? I'm a short guy so the longish TTs on the LeMond bikes don't work well for me, but always been a fan of them none the less. And a fan of Greg as well!

EDIT; Whoops that's Ti and Carbon right? Who drives you up to all those elevation signs?
Old 11-19-18, 01:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Luv to climb Colorado mts.
If you weren't in so many of those images, I might think that you were telling stories!
Well done!
Old 11-19-18, 04:18 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Zurich,
LOVE that LeMond frame. I like panels and is that 853 or Titanium? I'm a short guy so the longish TTs on the LeMond bikes don't work well for me, but always been a fan of them none the less. And a fan of Greg as well!

EDIT; Whoops that's Ti and Carbon right? Who drives you up to all those elevation signs?
Love my Lemond bikes and guess I have 4 of them one is for sale. That is why I have this handle My first was a 1998 Lemond Zurich which has 20,000 miles on it which isn't much for a bike really. It pretty much was put out of commission after buying the Victoirre in 2006 to do the 4X RAAM Team Cyclonauts. I did manage to drive up in my rental car for this pic. Story to follow below.

Top of Pikes Peak sad to say I didn't make it to the top on the bike but I will be baaacccckkkk

Last edited by Zurichman2; 11-19-18 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 04:27 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
If you weren't in so many of those images, I might think that you were telling stories!
Well done!
Not sure how anybody else is on this forum but I hate it when something beats me on the bike. The Colorado trip didn't go as planned. I had a buddy out in Colorado that I rode with in 2008 look up on you tube Zman on top of the world as we climbed Mt. Evans together. The climb wasn't too bad as we had a rider from NY that had just quit smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day and so he had to stop every mile or so to catch his breath. He set up a Facebook account and listed it as Pikes Peak or bust. We had planned the ride for over 2 years. About 2 weeks before the ride him and his wife was out riding one of the bike trails around Auora CO. Cherry Creek area and a snake came out across the road. She braked hard he ran over top of her and crashed hard messing his ribs up and lots of bruises He was now out of the ride. I had already bought my plane ticket. The plan was go into Leadville get use to elevation and then do the Pikes Peak ride. I get elevation sickness real easy and get a nasty headache the 1st time I try climbing over 8000 ft. Arriving at Leadville I had some trouble breathing the 1st day and a slight headache. I think I did the Mineral Belt Trail the 1st day and came back into town with them having a street festival. Nuthin like free food aka burgers and a bake potato and lemonade after a ride. The next day Sunday I did the Tennessee Pass climb out of Leadville. Monday I did the Freemont Pass climb. Nothing like getting humbled while out riding. I came across a guy pulling a bob with his 3-4 year daughter in it and he was climbing the Pass with all that weight behind him. He had his wife for support leap frogging him. Tuesday I decided to get up and do a leisurely ride since thed Pikes was the Weds. ride. I was doing it in reverse order when my buddy texted me around 10 AM and said a guy had taken over the ride and had cancelled the ride for Weds. due to heavy rains. He later then rode the ride the top 1/2 on Weds. and then posted on FB where was everybody what a jerk.

At my end I checked out of the Motel real fast and broke all speed records common to man to get to the Manitou Springs hotel I was staying at. I left my stuff in a side room threw on my cycling clothes and made my way to the entrance to Pikes Peak. I started at noon which I knew was a very late start and risky. I had to stop a few times the first couple of miles to get my heart rate under 160 bpm from the excitement along with the elevation and the climbing. I finally did get that under control and made it to the 10 mile marker in 2 hrs. I looked up the mt. and saw a nasty storm blowing in. I knew I didn't want to get stuck on the mt. with no support as I have already had hypothermia 3 times from cycling in the summer time. I made a quick descent off the mt. as my computer said I average the max car speed off the mt. @ 35 mph average. When I hit the parking lot the storm dumped and I just made it there in time. They were nice enough to me at the entrance to give me a pass for my car and bike for the bike price. I then drove up to the top to see what the top looked like. Truth be told I probably wasn't in shape to make it to the top of the mt. that day anyways as the last 10 miles really looks rough. My new goal is to go back when I am 70 and finish unfinished business. My buddy is happy because he has 2 years to get ready for it.

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 11-19-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 04:47 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Mile marker 10 Pikes Peak

I at least enjoyed riding 1/2 of Pikes Peak
Old 11-21-18, 05:15 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
. I will fully admit that I was and still am somewhat out of shape.
Zman
Coulda fooled me.
Old 11-21-18, 06:34 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

Coulda fooled me.
Thanks Greenhil

At my end I gained over 15 lbs from my rt collarbone nerve pain which is the result of having 2 degenerative disks in my neck. Long term I guess I will have to get that fixed. I have been bicycling now since 1992 and walked more hills this last year in Gravel riding/racing than I did that entire time of road cycling. There is always a discussion of what gravel riding difficulty is compared to road riding. To me it's a huge difference and since I want to step up my game next season I know I have to get in better shape to do the longer(over 100 miles) gravel bike rides/races. I do like a challenge though and since I have done almost all of what you can do at the roadie end including 4x RAAM I now have the goal of trying to ride all the bad ass gravel bike races. It for sure is a learning experience as each ride/race is uniquely different.

Zman
Old 11-23-18, 12:13 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

This is why we do gravel biking. Bootlegger photo op much needed break after a climb. lol

Betsy’s store with my Lynskey in front

I stopped for a photo at the same falls
Old 11-23-18, 08:29 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Betsy’s store with my Lynskey in front

I stopped for a photo at the same falls

It had nuthin go do with the nasty climb and needing a break right? hehe So did you do the Bootlegger or do you just live in the area?

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 11-23-18 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Changing text

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.