Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

A decade of dopers.........

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

A decade of dopers.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 01:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Let's keep the P&R out of the cycling forums.
Old 10-14-12, 06:12 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
In the past 30 years, TdF winners who have never tested positive, confessed to drugs, or been implicated in a sting operation include Hinault, LeMond, Sastre, Evans, and Wiggins (Delgado and Indurain are close, but both tested positive for drugs that were legal at the time but are banned now). However, that doesn't mean these riders are clean either. Personally, I have my doubts about LeMond. His 1989 TT finish remains the fastest TT over 20km in TdF history, beating all the doped riders of the "dirty decade" (who were also riding more modern bikes).
But Greg's been so indignant about this doping thingy, no way he would have done that. And that TT was after he was shot.

Personally, I don't care, but then I am a realist. You race a couple hundred kilometers and get up and do it again and again...you become a realist.

I still think Floyd's Stage 17 ride is one of the greatest single day rides in the history of cycling. I don't care what he was on...cuz so was everyone else.

Just accept what the environment was and move on everyone. That does not make it right, but c'mon man.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-14-12 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 06:24 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bike56
I read Tyler's book also.Everyone is assuming he's telling the truth
...to sell books.

Thought I'd finish the thought.
Old 10-14-12, 06:25 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I really wonder what the future looks like for Lance now. Maybe this all just blows over.
Sitting and counting his money?
Old 10-14-12, 06:33 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The problem here is they were all cheating. Seriously. That's rather obvious. But can you tolerate it? No.

Even if it means the sport's big icon has to take the Big Fall, he has to come down. Armstrong strikes me as a tragic figure in some ways, but he is the penultimate dbag. Still, the guy did almost die from cancer, and he did come back to win the hardest sporting event in the world against similarly doped competitors 7 straight times. That will always be absolutely amazing, even if you don't like the guy, and even if he did dope. After reading Hamilton's book, the doping aspect makes his success even more astonishing in some ways.

Ugly story in the end. Hey, at least he raised dough for cancer and inspired a lot of people, so it's not all bad.

The best thing he could do would be to come clean. I think ultimately Armstrong would figure out a way to stay popular. Not for nothing, but painting Armstrong as some kind of devil here is preposterous. He's just an exceptional athlete that played out this sordid game better than anybody else, with the complicity of the sport's governing body (and one might argue even top broadcasters and media who seemed to look the other way), as ALL of his competitors were also trying to do at the same time. And for that we want to burn the guy like a witch? Keep a little perspective here. While I agree with the USADA's actions, no matter how much it disappoints people, the vilification of Armstrong in some quarters is over the top in the context of the dirty sport he participated in during that era. If you want to vilify anybody, start with the UCI.

In the end, this may well be the final signal that tells pro cycling the doping party is really over, and hopefully the sport moves forward in a healthier way.
Well said Pcad.
Old 10-14-12, 06:39 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
C'est drole, tres drole!
Old 10-14-12, 06:43 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

What could perhaps be the last word in doping.

It was written about the 1987 Tour. Decade, indeed. For all those who champion letting them do whatever they want ask yourself if you'd want your kid on a path that would inevitably lead to his premature death. Ultimately it's not very different than many other unhealthy/illegal lifestyles that we likely would do anything in out power to see them avoid.
Old 10-14-12, 08:39 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
I had never heard of "Wide-eyed and Legless".
In searching for info on it, I turned up an interesting cycling reading list:

50-41 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...s-of-all-time/
40-31 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...ll-time-40-31/
30-21 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...ll-time-30-21/
20-11 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...ll-time-20-11/
10-6 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...all-time-10-6/
5-1 https://www.cyclesportmag.com/feature...-all-time-1-5/
Old 10-14-12, 09:42 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
gsteinb, lotto had a brazlian rider back in the mid 90s... he was used like ginea pig for a lot of drugs back in the day, he had to retire and he just died a few years ago. Wanderley magalhaes was his name, knew the guy back before going to europe, one of the kindest guys i ever met, was shocking to hear what happened after his dead.

He got cancer (looks like a known story right?) after his stay with the lotto-caloi team, he went back to brazil and worked with a small local team and and died in 2006 at age 39 after a generalized organs failure due to the cancer.

Sure other riders got the same fate and their names had been forgotten.
Old 10-14-12, 10:37 AM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone who believes Pro cycling is now clean is fooling themselves. Sky isn't any cleaner than US Postal, they're just doing it better than the others with big pull and big money.
Old 10-14-12, 10:38 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Personally, I don't care, but then I am a realist. You race a couple hundred kilometers and get up and do it again and again...you become a realist.

I still think Floyd's Stage 17 ride is one of the greatest single day rides in the history of cycling. I don't care what he was on...cuz so was everyone else.

Just accept what the environment was and move on everyone. That does not make it right, but c'mon man.
pretty much agree
Old 10-14-12, 10:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

They may not be clean but there's no evidence to support them being as dirty as postal. For one the weight/watts numbers just don't support that theory at all.
Old 10-14-12, 10:56 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
"I love the smell of EPO in the morning!"
"Smells like....victory."
Old 10-14-12, 11:35 AM
Gordy748

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote is for LeMond and Evans.

LeMond because he was always fast in the TdF (think he finished no worse than 3rd until Indurain beat him), yet you could see a progression of weak performances earlier in the season as he trained into condition. The '89 TT, while incredible, is valid as it's a much shorter distance than what the pros ride today (so their average speed will be slower), plus LeMond's strength was TTing.

Evans because he's always been an outstanding athlete, plus you can see in 2011 he he progresses through the season. Further, in the TdF he really was very lucky. Contador and Wiggins had crashes in the first week, the Schlecks just paced themselves up the mountains, Voekler had a random blinder and took pressure off Evans...

Based on how institutionalized drugs seems to be, and given the people implicated in doping now at Sky, I really think that Wiggins is on something too. Perhaps like Indurain and Delgado, something that isn't banned right now, but I just don't think you can have a year where you and your team romp every single stage race for 4 months without being on something.
Old 10-14-12, 01:30 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
His 1989 TT finish remains the fastest TT over 20km in TdF history, beating all the doped riders of the "dirty decade" (who were also riding more modern bikes).
Of course you leave out that the course was downhill and there was a tailwind. Any reason you failed to mention that?
Old 10-14-12, 02:42 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
What could perhaps be the last word in doping.

It was written about the 1987 Tour. Decade, indeed. For all those who champion letting them do whatever they want ask yourself if you'd want your kid on a path that would inevitably lead to his premature death. Ultimately it's not very different than many other unhealthy/illegal lifestyles that we likely would do anything in out power to see them avoid.
The son of a guy I used to race with died about a year ago. He was 19 and basically had a stroke. His blood was the consistancy of maple syrup at about 10 below zero temp. EPO abuse by people that did not know what they were doing. Another guy I raced with's son was picked up at Zaventem (Brussels International Airport) and given his "go fast juice" (directquote) upon getting into his car.

Most all the posters out here really have no clue. If you have not, read "A Dog in a Hat".
Old 10-14-12, 04:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
anyone who believes Pro cycling is now clean is fooling themselves. Sky isn't any cleaner than US Postal, they're just doing it better than the others with big pull and big money.
Do you know Sky is doping ? Maybe, maybe not.
That's another unfortunate aspect to this whole mess. If a squeaky clean racer wins a race, he/she will automatically be a doping suspect.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-14-12, 05:09 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
There is another guy that basically wrote the book and so far i know he had been investigating this thing for the last 4 or 5 years. Is not only hamilton's that is telling stuff in there, the other guy has other sources too.

The only thing that I would love to know is this...

Franky andreu and his wife were in the hospital when LA was talking with the doctors about the stuff he was taking and stuff... why in the world the name of the doctors are still mute? I mean... i would have talked with the doctors and basically forced them to talk in front of the jury as it happened with the other guys.

What i see is that this is still and fight of "he said, you said," and sure LA will die denying the situation, if one of the doctors that was in the room that day talks you dont need more evidence. Sure nobody believes to hamilton and others... other guys are saying they havent seen nothing eventhought they were in the same team than LA for a few seasons... anybody knows if one of the doctors came up and talked about what happened in the room that day?
There's such a thing as doctor/patient privilege that might get in the way of "forcing" the doctors to repeat what Lance told them. As well as a piece of federal legislation called HIPPA.
Old 10-14-12, 05:30 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LeMond would certainly know if Hinault was doping, and after the double-cross of 1986, would have had every reason to finger him. I think he had 5 clean titles.

I don't know how fit Evans was this year, but I remember watching every break of his get reeled in seemingly effortlessly by the Sky train. I have to think that he was clean. Certainly, if he was ever tempted to micro dose and take his chances, this would have been the time. I have to think he was clean last year, too.
Old 10-14-12, 07:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I just came across this gem from August:

Lance Armstrong: Was He Doping or Experimenting with Science?

https://ideas.time.com/2012/08/27/lan...#ixzz29KSAP6WG

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-14-12, 08:45 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sR8Qrj12gE

Watch him swallow hard at 1:06; that is a known sign of being "uncomfortable".
Old 10-14-12, 09:02 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
To suggest that Lemond's 89 TT is evidence that he doped is a stretch, to say the least.
Old 10-14-12, 09:15 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Sastre
Old 10-14-12, 09:54 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
While I agree with the USADA's actions, no matter how much it disappoints people, the vilification of Armstrong in some quarters is over the top in the context of the dirty sport he participated in during that era. If you want to vilify anybody, start with the UCI.

In the end, this may well be the final signal that tells pro cycling the doping party is really over, and hopefully the sport moves forward in a healthier way.
If you draw the line around simply the doping, I agree with Pcad's thesis completely. He did what he had to do and leveled the playing field.

However, what really surprised me was about the USADA report was just how vindictive and ruthless Armstrong was (and likely still is) to anyone who threatened to shatter his glass house. We all know about Frankie and Betsy Andreau (whom I probably feel worst for), Emma O'Riley, Landis, Hamilton, and others from the past. But hearing that he was threatening Levi last year in retaliation against his testimony (which undoubtedly cost him Levi his job with RadioShack) and the way he routinely thought nothing of destroying those who crossed his path just to preserve his ill gotten gains really disturbed me. No one is vilifying Armstrong in the media, his actions and threats against those who were trying to tell the truth reveal his true colors. These were guys who fought hard for him in each Tour, sacrificing their own ambitions and ultimately selling their souls to his demands. When the time came for them to own up to their own transgressions Armstrong did everything he could to burn them quickly and violently. He could have come out and owned up to things, kept his friends and teammates from having to be in this position. Instead he branded them as liars and did everything in his power to destroy them. His actions really disgust me.

I'm no fan of Lance, but there are two products he's a part owner in which I love to death: Honey Stinger my favorite on bike food and Mellow Johnnys my favorite bike shop in the world. At first when I was hashing this out in my head I could live with it. He doped in an age of dopers, no big deal. However, after reading the USADA report and hearing about the sheer malevolence he exudes, I just don't want to support anyone like that.
Old 10-14-12, 10:14 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Cycle Sport (from which this list originates) is a GREAT magazine. I think most of the cycling magazines are true rubbish, but Cycle Sport America is different. It's quite a bit more expensive, but is really worth it IMHO. Much better journalism and depth than Bicycling or Velonews and not as pompous as Peloton.

Last edited by alpha_bravo; 10-14-12 at 10:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.