Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 08:25 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 115 Posts
4F this morning which was 9 degrees warmer than yesterday morning but felt a lot colder. I think it's because yesterday there was no wind during my ride to work while this morning there was a steady headwind.

Edit: after I wrote this I was curious so I checked the weather and discovered the headwind was 16 mph and the wind chill was -20F. So yeah, I wasn't dreaming that this morning was a tougher ride than yesterday.
Old 02-07-18, 10:30 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
48F, gray
Old 02-07-18, 04:49 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
^ Good on you for cyclecommuting, @rhm. I wussed out and took the train into the city today. The snow was downgraded to 1 inch and I think the upper 40sF and rain will wipe it away. So I think it should be good to resume tomorrow.
Yes, kudos to rhm, since I wimped out today as well. Originally I had the same thought he did: 'snow isn't bad, and if the rain gets me going home, I don't care because I'm home.' But then I remembered I have to meet a client in the late afternoon, so it's just not on.

Also, I had a little tumble yesterday right outside my apartment, still on the sidewalk, fumbling to put my gloves on while already in motion. Had my forearms on the bars and hands reached through the non-aero brake cables... not smart. Pretty embarrassing.
Old 02-07-18, 08:32 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Tundra_Man I got worried when you started that you wimped out. I thought you threw in the towel and lost that amazing Sioux Falls Streak.

Anywho all is going well here. I got a job that I thought was permanent two weeks ago but I got the contract to sign yesterday and since I am technically only qualified to teach Chem and Science and the job was for Science, Math, and CompSci it reverted to a temporary posting. So I have emailed HR about changing that. I would love to have t least one permanent class. The school was all very happy that I got the job and were glad to hear I would be around longer term.

Riding and boating has been good throughout a nearly record breaking rainy January in the past 126 years. We have not had the great winter views we had last year due to the rainy weather though, but gosh the longer days are nice.

I have quite a bit of bike work to do on our family of bikes, that is this weekends plans. Next weekend is set aside to fix the golf cart and replace all the throttle to pedal linkages. I gues a 25+ year old golf cart needs to be serviced eventually.

Anywho stay warm and dry out there.
Old 02-08-18, 06:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Okay, yesterday evening sucked.

The sun now hits the horizon just about when I'm getting on the bike, which is nice when the sky is clear, but when it's raining, that means it's dark within minutes. The roads are deteriorating fast these days, and the potholes are sprouting up everywhere, faster than I can keep track of them. And in the rain, they're completely invisible. So I hit more than one pothole, veered suddenly around several, and rode through puddles up to six inches deep. A lot of the way I was riding in inch deep water, my fat tires making a wake like a powerboat, soaking my feet thoroughly. And it was cold.

When I got home, all my clothes went into the washer, I dried off, and put on my pajamas.

Then my wife called. She was about 4 miles away, driving in traffic, had hit a pothole and got a flat. I know how that goes! I got back on the bike to go change the wheel for her. It's dark... it's raining... I jack up the car, remove the wheel, lower the spare tire from under the rear (not easy, directions in the owner's manual not applicable to this model, hands cold and wet...). Mount the spare... try to mount the spare... what's wrong with this picture... okay, no, the damned spare tire definitely does not fit the hub! She's had the car almost four years and we hadn't figured that out yet, so I guess that's a decent run of good luck, but how does a car dealer let a car out with a non-fitting spare tire? I rode home, still in the rain, while she waited for a tow truck. Again, all my clothes went into the washer when I got home.

So, like I said, yesterday sucked.

Last edited by rhm; 02-08-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 07:29 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Wow @rhm! Quite the day. I hope you don't have any more like that.

Pleasant ride in this morning here. Upper 30s and a tail wind to start out with. This was needed because I left about 5 minutes later than I like to. I made up some time and got to work on time. Averaged 17.4 mph! That's about 2 mph faster than most days.

I had a school bus chasing me for a bit. He wouldn't pass, then stop, pick up kids, catch up, stop, repeat until finally he turned into a neighborhood.
Old 02-08-18, 03:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Two MTB commutes this week. Getting my nerve back for little jumps. Not sure why I lost it in the first place.

there should have been two daycare commutes but time allotted did not permit. I’m disappointed
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-08-18, 03:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Two MTB commutes this week
do you think MTBs provide a faster commute than a road bike because the smaller diameter wheel allows getting back up to speed faster after a stop?
Old 02-08-18, 03:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I start a new job on Monday, only seven miles from my house. In my mind, that's an ideal distance for a bike commute. And it is also along the Hudson River path, which I love. I didn't even want a job closer to home, so I didn't apply to the places I could walk to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-18, 05:09 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I start a new job on Monday, only seven miles from my house. In my mind, that's an ideal distance for a bike commute. And it is also along the Hudson River path, which I love. I didn't even want a job closer to home, so I didn't apply to the places I could walk to.
That is a perfect distance. I have an 8 mile commute. But in summer our office will move to a new location which is only 5 miles away. I have to "find" some extra miles then.
Old 02-08-18, 06:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
do you think MTBs provide a faster commute than a road bike because the smaller diameter wheel allows getting back up to speed faster after a stop?
lol

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-08-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 07:22 PM
Atvar
Shimano's Shaman

Bikes: TFCT Starion Class Hull n. 312 "Thunder Child" - Sport Touring & Utility

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
First commute after neighbour's dog attack on Jan, 12th. It feels good to be back on the saddle.
Italy is back in the game!
Old 02-09-18, 07:26 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another cold day, it's been pretty consistent this week with morning temps in the -16 to -20C/3 to -4F and today was smack dab in the middle at -18C/0F. I got some speed up coasting down a hill and I even felt the wind chill inside my ski helmet (actually, my son's helmet and his head is bigger than mine so there is a bit of a gap plus non-closeable vents on the top). All in all, a nice ride in.

Have a great weekend!!
Old 02-09-18, 09:01 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 115 Posts
Landmark day! With this morning's commute I celebrated two years since the last time I drove to work. Well, technically Feb. 10th is the day, but seeing as I'm not working tomorrow (and therefore not commuting) I am celebrating today. Kind of like a government holiday.

Coincidentally it's also Winter Bike To Work Day. The only difference to me from every other work day is that I got to stop by a downtown coffee shop for a free coffee and a baked good on my way in.

We got 4" of fresh snow last night. I got up an hour early to plow the driveway before I left for work, and so I would have some extra time for the ride and the coffee stop. 2F this morning with a -13F wind chill. Of course, I had to ride straight into the wind because that's the way it always works.

The back streets were in really bad shape as the plows hadn't yet come through. For the first 1/2 mile of my commute I was worried it was going to take hours to ride the 4 miles to the client location. The 4" of fresh snow on top of the previous snow pack from earlier in the week made it pretty tricky to keep the bike upright. I kept sliding all over the place and couldn't go any faster than about 4 mph. I'm glad that by leaving early I avoided most of the traffic as there was no way I could maintain any sort of straight line. I was using the whole lane weaving back and forth just to keep from laying the bike down.

Thankfully after about 1/2 mile I got to a road where the plows had already come through and got a 1/2 mile reprieve from the treacherous roads. Then I reached the MUP for the next 3 miles which again was unplowed. At least the MUP had less traffic through the snow so it slowed me down but wasn't as much of a struggle to keep the bike on two wheels. It was a tough ride and a lot of work. By the time I got to the office my clothes were drenched in sweat.

I did stop and commemorate the landmark with a photo, though. I snapped about 10 pictures hoping for a good one. This was the best of the bunch and was still a bit out of focus. Apparently my hands are a little shaky in 2F weather with my heart pounding from the physical exertion of riding through the unplowed snow.

Old 02-09-18, 09:16 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Okay, yesterday evening sucked.

The sun now hits the horizon just about when I'm getting on the bike, which is nice when the sky is clear, but when it's raining, that means it's dark within minutes. The roads are deteriorating fast these days, and the potholes are sprouting up everywhere, faster than I can keep track of them. And in the rain, they're completely invisible. So I hit more than one pothole, veered suddenly around several, and rode through puddles up to six inches deep. A lot of the way I was riding in inch deep water, my fat tires making a wake like a powerboat, soaking my feet thoroughly. And it was cold.

When I got home, all my clothes went into the washer, I dried off, and put on my pajamas.

Then my wife called. She was about 4 miles away, driving in traffic, had hit a pothole and got a flat. I know how that goes! I got back on the bike to go change the wheel for her. It's dark... it's raining... I jack up the car, remove the wheel, lower the spare tire from under the rear (not easy, directions in the owner's manual not applicable to this model, hands cold and wet...). Mount the spare... try to mount the spare... what's wrong with this picture... okay, no, the damned spare tire definitely does not fit the hub! She's had the car almost four years and we hadn't figured that out yet, so I guess that's a decent run of good luck, but how does a car dealer let a car out with a non-fitting spare tire? I rode home, still in the rain, while she waited for a tow truck. Again, all my clothes went into the washer when I got home.

You must have been soaked. I know I was soaked pretty good just re-shoveling the sidewalk at home in the rain. Maybe you can get a dinner (or something else ) from the wife for being the hero? Sadly, I didn't cyclecommute today. My 5 yr old son got me and my wife up a few times last night. I think he got some sort of stomach bug from school and was complaining about stomach pain but had no fever. Yeay. Was dragging a bit getting to the train and slept on it this morning. Feeling better now (2nd wind maybe).

Last edited by ptempel; 02-09-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 10:03 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
... Maybe you can get a dinner (or something else ) from the wife for being the hero? ....

Well, she lets me borrow her car sometimes, that's something, right? Last Saturday I drove it two hundred miles or so so I could ride a randonnee.

This story isn't over yet. This afternoon I'll take my folding bike on the train, go a couple stations farther than usual, so I can pick up the (fixed) car.

The irony just occurred to me: Last weekend I had to drive the car so I could ride my bike. This week I have to ride my bike so we can drive the car!
Old 02-09-18, 10:19 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
38F, gray, clammy. Only 2 mile ride, dropped the car to get a new windshield, popped the bike off the rack and rode to work.
Old 02-09-18, 10:48 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So I've been off the bike 2 weeks now. My whole family got slammed with the flu last week, which included an overnight hospital stay with my son. I've been at home and working from home all of last week and this week, and finally came back into the office today but drove the car. I still can't really talk, which really sucks. I'm so tired of having to whisper to everyone. Can't wait to get back to cycling hopefully next week.
Old 02-09-18, 01:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

You snow city cyclists have my utmost respect as ever
Old 02-09-18, 02:59 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I felt really lucky to ride today--my baby (2 years old) is in the hospital (respiratory issues, viral, 5 days so far, probably an 8-10 day stay, although no one can say). My spouse is with her right now. I will relieve her tonight, so she can get some sleep in a decent bed and without constantly waking up. Our medical team is wonderful.

It was 40s (F), so quite warm by my standards. Foggy and some snow flurries. Beautiful.

Did 12 miles each way, felt so good to get out on the bike, blast out the cobwebs and fatigue from the last few days.

I was cycling on the MUP in the darkness, and a pedestrian was approaching, so I held down my light, down and away from him. He screamed at me to turn off the GD light as he limped and staggered by, which startled me. I felt bad. The homeless are our most vulnerable. I got to sleep in a safe, warm bed and cycle to work. I wish we could solve our many societal problems, including homelessness.

Although most of the people I encounter on the MUP, both people who are homeless and fellow commuters, as well as runners and others, seem grateful that I'm turning my headlight away from them. So there's that.

Last edited by kellichou; 02-09-18 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add weather conditions
Old 02-09-18, 03:06 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
We got 4" of fresh snow last night. I got up an hour early to plow the driveway before I left for work, and so I would have some extra time for the ride and the coffee stop. 2F this morning with a -13F wind chill. Of course, I had to ride straight into the wind because that's the way it always works.
You Sir have my utmost respect. This is what I call determination. Here in Texas when temperature are getting close to freezing people offer me lifts home and think I am crazy to ride in these "harsh" conditions.
Old 02-09-18, 05:07 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Okay, yesterday evening sucked...

Weather was absolutely nasty that day, and with the added car nonsense, I feel for you. Non-fitting spare tire would probably make me go ballistic.

Tundra_Man, great job on the landmark.

Originally Posted by noglider
Great news about the job, and awesome that you get to ride that path, which is definitely nice.

Today I commuted on my Basso P-R for the first time ever. My boss told me he wasn't coming in today, so I didn't have to worry about him seeing the bike and asking too many questions (yeah, I'm weird like that). But another guy who works in my building and also commutes pretty often definitely noticed that it was a different color to my regular commuters (it's bright yellow).
Old 02-09-18, 06:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I wish a speedy recovery for your baby and some sleep for you and your spouse, @kellichou.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-10-18, 10:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I figured that the creek flood had receded enough to be passable, and that was true if you don't mind dragging the bottom bracket through water. In my defense it was atypical, over the banks earlier this week from rainfall further north - not that much here - quickly dropping then a day later heavy rain flooding it again. So I figured the ground to be less saturated allowing quicker run-off.

But I had just lubed my chain the day before, so of course I forge through and wash it all off. It wasn't kind to my chain cover either Oh well, it was fun at the time and about time to lube hubs anyway so I won't complain ... more than I already have anyway ...
Old 02-12-18, 07:45 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A bit milder this morning compared with last week's morning temps, -16C/3F with little to no windchill (other than that produced by cycling speed). I learned a limit to fat bikes, deep heavy snow thrown over the bank by snowplows onto the pathway that I was cycling on: it just bogged me down in 3 places along the route so I had to walk about 10m/yd each time to get out of it.

I'm glad I got off that path when I did, a few minutes later, my wife saw the snowplow on the same road throwing huge amounts of snow off the road onto the path that I rode on. I hope that the sidewalk plows will go along the path today or I'll be forced to ride on the side of the road (yuck, slushy snirt!!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.