Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey archer X-RD5 mounting hardware?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 02:00 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I bought a sturmy archer X-RD5 off the internet and thought it was a RX-RD5. It is a bare hub with no parts. I thought I was going to be able to use my existing hardware from my RXL-RD5, but naturally can't due to it being a chain pull system and not a rotary shift. Any idea where one can get a kit, or at least the bare minimum parts needed to run the hub? I assume the nuts and non turn washer can be reused.

My existing RXL-RD5 is dying and may not have but a few more days left. So I need to get these parts asap. Thanks!
Old 03-19-19, 05:02 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
I bought a sturmy archer X-RD5 off the internet and thought it was a RX-RD5. It is a bare hub with no parts. I thought I was going to be able to use my existing hardware from my RXL-RD5, but naturally can't due to it being a chain pull system and not a rotary shift. Any idea where one can get a kit, or at least the bare minimum parts needed to run the hub? I assume the nuts and non turn washer can be reused.

My existing RXL-RD5 is dying and may not have but a few more days left. So I need to get these parts asap. Thanks!
You can use the same anti rotation washers and left side nut, but you will need a guide nut for the right side.
Did the hub come with an indicator spindle? If not, you will also need one of those specific to the model and axle length.
Also note that shifters are not cross compatible between RX and previous models. They are also not cross compatible between the wide range models and the ones that predated them, so you will need to know if what you have is a wide range type.
If the markings are still on the hub shell, there will be a (w) after the model number.
The best source for these parts is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-archer/
For indicator compatibility see https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey...ndicators.html

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-19-19 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 07:09 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Here's a parts diagram. You can use it to determine part numbers. SJS has the best selection of S-A parts that I have found. I've ordered from them many times.

It seems to me that it would be easier to repair your existing hub. What sort of symptoms are you having with it?
Old 03-20-19, 01:46 AM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You can use the same anti rotation washers and left side nut, but you will need a guide nut for the right side.
Did the hub come with an indicator spindle? If not, you will also need one of those specific to the model and axle length.
Also note that shifters are not cross compatible between RX and previous models. They are also not cross compatible between the wide range models and the ones that predated them, so you will need to know if what you have is a wide range type.
If the markings are still on the hub shell, there will be a (w) after the model number.
The best source for these parts is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-archer/
For indicator compatibility see https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey...ndicators.html
I originally thought my hub needed the yellow indicator, this helps confirm it! My hub also does have the W on it. I was unaware that was telling me what I needed for a shifter. Thanks! That is very helpful. Something I with sturmy archer would put on their site or data sheets. Being mostly a shimano person I really have little experience with these hubs. I even have more experience with nuvinci hubs than these (word of advice, don't touch those).

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Here's a parts diagram. You can use it to determine part numbers. SJS has the best selection of S-A parts that I have found. I've ordered from them many times.

It seems to me that it would be easier to repair your existing hub. What sort of symptoms are you having with it?
I already have a new hub on the way so I can just swap internals. I really want two fully working wheels just in case.

The problem is the hub skips when I apply enough pressure to the pedals. It has gotten much worse in the last week, going from skipping once or twice in my 30 min commute, to 40-50 times. I initially thought it was the pawls not gripping the hub shell, but I found out this model has two sets that engage depending on which gear it's in. So as it's skipping in all gears it's unlikely both sets are skipping this bad. So I figure it's the paws in the driver assembly (#11 here https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...%20RXL-RD5.pdf ). For now that bike is set aside as it's my main shopping bike, something I really can't use any other bike for.

and yes, it is adjusted correctly. It shifts beautifully and quickly. I have not had any problems with it jumping gears, which is something I have had issues with on shimano hubs. If I am on a flat area, I have virtually no issues. But where I live in omaha, we have a lot of large / steep hills.
Old 03-20-19, 04:57 AM
Dan Burkhart 

I originally thought my hub needed the yellow indicator, this helps confirm it! My hub also does have the W on it. I was unaware that was telling me what I needed for a shifter. Thanks! That is very helpful. Something I with sturmy archer would put on their site or data sheets. Being mostly a shimano person I really have little experience with these hubs. I even have more experience with nuvinci hubs than these (word of advice, don't touch those).

I already have a new hub on the way so I can just swap internals. I really want two fully working wheels just in case.

The problem is the hub skips when I apply enough pressure to the pedals. It has gotten much worse in the last week, going from skipping once or twice in my 30 min commute, to 40-50 times. I initially thought it was the pawls not gripping the hub shell, but I found out this model has two sets that engage depending on which gear it's in. So as it's skipping in all gears it's unlikely both sets are skipping this bad. So I figure it's the paws in the driver assembly (#11 here https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...%20RXL-RD5.pdf ). For now that bike is set aside as it's my main shopping bike, something I really can't use any other bike for.

and yes, it is adjusted correctly. It shifts beautifully and quickly. I have not had any problems with it jumping gears, which is something I have had issues with on shimano hubs. If I am on a flat area, I have virtually no issues. But where I live in omaha, we have a lot of large / steep hills.
I hope you are not planning on swapping internals from a wide range model into an RX hub shell. It ain't gonna work, not even close.
Also, if you have skipping in all gears, the driver pawls are not the culprit as they only transmit torque in gears 1 through 3. In 4th and 5th, the clutch engages directly with the planetary carrier and the driver pawls are over run.
I think it's more likely to be a problem with the control pawl assembly, # 15 on this document .https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...-%20RX-RF5.pdf
Old 03-20-19, 12:04 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I hope you are not planning on swapping internals from a wide range model into an RX hub shell. It ain't gonna work, not even close.
Also, if you have skipping in all gears, the driver pawls are not the culprit as they only transmit torque in gears 1 through 3. In 4th and 5th, the clutch engages directly with the planetary carrier and the driver pawls are over run.
I think it's more likely to be a problem with the control pawl assembly, # 15 on this document .https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...-%20RX-RF5.pdf
Nope. I am swapping the internals from the same model (RLX-RD5). The X-RD5 is getting shelved for now till I can get parts.

Thanks for pointing out the control pawls. When the new hub arrives and I can tear this one open I'll find out which ones are bad. I'll hold on to the old hub in case I can get replacement parts.
Old 03-22-19, 03:02 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I got the replacement RXL-RD5 and while better, it is still skipping under high load. At this point I am wondering if it's a design fault. Two hubs purchased over a year apart and both with the same fault?

I still have to take apart the old innards and see just what was slipping as the two set of paws that engage the shell look fine.
Old 03-22-19, 03:57 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Well, I got the replacement RXL-RD5 and while better, it is still skipping under high load. At this point I am wondering if it's a design fault. Two hubs purchased over a year apart and both with the same fault?

I still have to take apart the old innards and see just what was slipping as the two set of paws that engage the shell look fine.
You're certain you have the correct shifter for that hub model? Shifters from previous SA 5 speeds are not compatible.
I just installed a RX-RF5, and it's working splendidly.
Old 03-22-19, 04:55 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You're certain you have the correct shifter for that hub model? Shifters from previous SA 5 speeds are not compatible.
It's the one that came with the hub. Both times I bought the full unopened boxed kit (once on ebay, once on amazon). Other than that, I don't know how I could tell if it was incompatible. One would assume sturmey archer would ship compatible parts with their hubs. I'm very close to just getting another NOS AB 3-speed hub and dealing with the lower choice in gears. My bikes are my main mode of transit and they simply must work.

I'm just at a loss.
Old 03-22-19, 05:56 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Nearly everything in the hub looks to be in pristine condition, except the Control Pawls. They look slightly rounded off. But it's uneven wear with the wear being more prevalent on one corner of the pawl.

I attached a photo so you can see the damage.

Last edited by harshbarj; 03-22-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 06:09 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Nearly everything in the hub looks to be in pristine condition, except the Control Pawls. They look slightly rounded off. But it's uneven wear with the wear being more prevalent on one corner of the pawl.

I attached a photo so you can see the damage.

Yeah, that's not good. That is the 4th gear pawl. Do the rest of them look like that?
Old 03-22-19, 07:17 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, that's not good. That is the 4th gear pawl. Do the rest of them look like that?
All of the pawls on that part look similar to this. Some more than others. I can only assume the same is happening with the new hub as well. Though it has only slipped like 8 or 9 times (most in one go as I tried to outrun cross traffic and HAD to go fast).