Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 09:19 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Unobtanium

Decided on the following foot contraption for the Teledyne.

Chaos in Hong Kong isn't stopping them from shipping some freaky light pedals. Bearings are silky smooth!

Ally toe clips from MKS Japan.

Super Strap made in Italy. I think to have purchased them in 1990, a brilliant design.

Last edited by crank_addict; 07-02-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 08:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
You better bring that thing to Coppi or I'll tell Peter you have something for him.
Old 09-02-19, 03:30 PM
joluja 
_______

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Ciocc Mockba, Zeus Victoria, Serotta CDA, Willier Cento 1SR, Pinarello FP Quattro, Teledyne Titan, Chesini Arena Precision 83, Denti Master, De Rosa 35th Anniversario, 3Rensho Super Record, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Klein Rascal

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 31 Posts
My New Titan

Hello all,I figured this is the group that would appreciate this info. I just bought a Titan from the son of a Titan bicycle shop dealer (#141). It was from his late fathers collection and is in remarkable shape and has original headset/bottom bracket/Shimano cable clips etc. I added a few photos from the Titan bicycle dealer information packet and original tags from the one he bought. Pretty cool stuff and I will post photos once I clean it up.

Likes For joluja:
Old 09-02-19, 03:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

GREAT stuff.
Old 09-02-19, 04:34 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Durango Titan

I have been watching this thread and thought I should add to it. Last winter a well worn/tired Teledyne Titan showed up for sale in Durango that I was able to purchase for a very reasonable price. The bike came with black anodized Cinelli bar/stem and Campy record components. The seller was originally from San Francisco, used the bike as his commuter, and all the bits and pieces were really filthy/grimy. I built a new set of wheels using Weyless hubs/Fiamme Ergal tubular rims/veloflex tires, and replaced all the consumables. Lots of cleaning and scrubbing later, a set of replacement decals, and I put it all together. It weighs about 18 pounds. I have ridden it a few hundred miles and I'm mixed on the ride quality. I don't find it to be super flexible and it feels similar to steel. Since these pictures were taken I have replaced the pedals with Weyless quills and the saddle with a plastic Cinelli Unicanitor.

Last edited by Andy Antipas; 09-02-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 06:04 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
I have been watching this thread and thought I should add to it. Last winter a well worn/tired Teledyne Titan showed up for sale in Durango that I was able to purchase for a very reasonable price. The bike came with black anodized Cinelli bar/stem and Campy record components. The seller was originally from San Francisco, used the bike has his commuter, and all the bits and pieces were really filthy/grimy. I built a new set of wheels using Weyless hubs/Fiamme Ergal tubular rims/veloflex tires, and replaced all the consumables. Lots of cleaning and scrubbing later, a set of replacement decals, and I put it all together. It weighs about 18 pounds. I have ridden it a few hundred miles and I'm mixed on the ride quality. I don't find it to be super flexible and it feels similar to steel. Since these pictures were taken I have replaced the pedals with Weyless quills and the saddle with a plastic Cinelli Unicanitor.

Beautiful TT build!!
Really went downtown with some if the components like the hollow pin chain (Regina America Superleggera?).
Only thing I'd watch out for are the Fiamme Ergal rims.
Those tend to be quite noodely, and tend to easily go out of true. Works best as special "race day" rims, but can be quite frustrating to keep true as daily or even just training rims...
Old 09-02-19, 06:21 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Thanks @Chombi1. I have been watching the wheels and with 300 miles I haven't had to touch them up at all (knock wood). They are pretty darn light, and they aren't for everyone. The Titan is in the bike riding rotation, but ultimately won't see a lot of miles.

Yes, Superleggera chain. I had a Zeus alloy freewheel on it, but it shifted poorly between the first two cogs. The cog spacing looks off? On went a modern steel Freewheel, which shifts fine. The Weyless seat post came with the bike. I used alloy chainring bolts and Ti seat binder bolt. I think Weyless made hubs, seat posts, and pedals. My goal was to try to have those parts on this bike. The other components are standard stuff.
Old 09-09-19, 12:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Perhaps someone here would like a project.
(Disclosure: No affilliation. Proceed with caution.)

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d...954282752.html

1976 Teledyne Titan $250
Old 09-17-19, 01:11 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
"New" Teledyne Titan Build to Ride

I am happy to introduce to you S/N TL 000653, a 24" Teledyne Titan (that I recently acquired in an online auction):
It has the oversized cable guides and water bottle cage clamps, but no fork, decals and a little damage on the DS seatpost binder bolt tab:

(I had a real beast of a time trying to get my phone to focus, but the DS tab has a crack where it is welded to the seat tube.) I am building the frame up to ride it, but I am torn whether I should get the tab weld fixed, or remove both tabs and use a modern clamp around the seat tube. The frame is straight and seems good otherwise, so I am excited to see how it feels.

My build plan is Shimano 600 Arabesque, as I have a full set that came off an 25" 1983 Apollo Gran Sport that I refashioned with new components for my nephew who wanted a light racer (but did not have the cash for carbon). I have been thinking about what fork to use, but I expect I will at least temporarily put it together and ride it with a threaded steel fork. Eventually, I may swap that out for a threadless carbon fork. It will not be a museum piece, but hopefully a smooth rider.

-Will
Old 09-17-19, 08:53 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts

# 204 ,was a good year for this example,refurbished.sew-ups,clb lightweight cable housing.

Last edited by '02 nrs; 12-29-19 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 09-17-19, 12:20 PM
crank_addict
Banned

As the original post request, I shall reply more of the experience on the Titan.

Pic from the Centenario Coppi 2019 main ride on Sunday. I wasn't data logging but according to others, the 100k included near 4,500 - 5,000 ft. el gain and the steepest grade recorded was 18%.

This bike is 'easily capable' (actually feel I was cheating- lol) with a ridiculous and super slow 20 gear inch low and up to 112 g.in. high to rip. It was an excellent time and was pleased with my choice of bike. I treated it with respect, not wanting to torsionally mangle this flexy flier it requires a relaxed steady spin. One has to change or adapt their riding style to keep oneself and / or the bike together.

I was with a few others on some fast descents where they recorded 45+ mph and being dumb, lead a few. This, also on other roads with loose goose chip seal. Under heavy braking is when the bike becomes very ~~~~~~squirrely. Visually seeing the fork flex is quite something,,, but to frighten is not where ones mind should go. I relaxed, set my weight rearward and 'heavily' relied on the rear brake.

Concluding, these bikes require a complete different thinking and trust. I would suggest for those not accustomed or willing to change their riding style- please save yourself and stay off these crazy early Russian tubed, experimental first time bike maker.

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 09-17-19, 12:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I owned on a long time ago.
you are correct- apply a lot of front brake and the wheelbase shrinks 15-20 mm.
one must adapt.
on the climbs - the bike can do what Jan Heine raves about - " planes "
but one must be pedaling at the right pressure and cadence- then it feels like it is giving back more than you are applying.
above or below- meh.
a learned "groove".
I sold mine off long before the steerer reports. If I owned one today I might try a Look carbon fork- just to try.
Old 09-24-19, 11:41 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
The thrill is back, part 2

As it arrived.
About a month ago, I posted a thread "The thrill is back". After passing the NOS Titan frame on to Robbie, (Beautiful build there!) I figured I was not going to have a shot at doing a "best of the day, weenie build". Lightning struck again in the form of a dented and dinged (no visible weld problems) 58 cm Titan, serial # 000075. So one made without the benefit of experience... Given the parts mix my guess is it was set up by the original owner, not by a shop. The man I bought it from made some changes too. He bought it from Daniel Boone's Bike Shop in Houston, in 1977.

So far...

Keeping:

Cycle Pro alloy headset. (Never heard of it, thanks, VeloBase)

Teledyne titanium axle with Campy cups and Ti bolts (I think not Teledyne mfr. they look rougher and grayer).

Campy dateless NR cranks with SR chainrings- I am definitely open to changing this out later, for weight or "best of" reasons

Bob Reedy pedals, ends profiled like track pedals. Chromed steel axles

Cinelli 1A stem

Shimano oversized cable clamps

Cables, housings, binder bolt

Swapping:
Wheels- 36h Weyless hubs/Wolber profil 18 tubular rims radial front, 3 cross rear -replacing unmarked American Classic(?) hubs/Campy omega tubular rims

Shifting- Suntour Cyclone RD,FD and FS -replacing Campy Record and NR components

Brakes
Calipers- Campy record, milled and modified with Al & Ti tuning parts
Levers- Modolo Flash- Plastic body, modest drilling, color matching W/AME Anatomic hoods
-replacing Gold anodized Universal CX calipers w/ milled & pantographed levers

Seatpost- Campy 2 bolt milled -replacing shortened 2 bolt. (Owned since 1975, and reduced from 27 mm to 26.8.)

Saddle- Avocet O2 -replacing damaged Unicanitor

Bars- Cinelli Giro crested -replacing blah specialized bars

Freewheel- NOS Suntour Winner Alloy -replacing ???

Chain Regina Superleggeri -replacing ???

Last edited by Last ride 76; 09-24-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 03:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Can't wait for another built Titan to grace the thread.
Coppi's show was probably one of few to show 2 Titans within about 60' of each other.

Scott's got all the attention, deservedly so, for a unique and perfect build to ride these hills.

Mine would have fractured, given the corncob freewheel, or I would have, on that first 18% climb.

I have 40 miles on mine, and will stick to flatter venues for it. I do like riding it. It is light and comfortable, and people tell me I should "shine up that paint." Ha!
Old 12-28-19, 02:05 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Talk time Teledyne

They offered a titanium bottom bracket spindle with steel bearing cones only, no cups. Part number I.D. -R- for road and -T- for track.

Teledyne spindle

Campagnolo spindle

Last edited by crank_addict; 12-28-19 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-19, 07:19 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
It's good to see all the Teledyne activity in this thread, I am sorry to say the teledyne hasn't made a lot of progress since the last photos were posted other than being hung in my office, the big hang up seems to be other projects getting in the way. I also must confess the worst bicycle build of my life... The Rusty Raleigh Pro, that bike was a bad idea from the start and has since been dismembered into component parts and the frame is hidden where I don't have to look at it for a long time...
The bright side of this is you will see the completed result of the cannibalized parts as the "Hattori Hanzo" project, a true metisse (a hybrid obtained from two different varieties of the same species) in a few days.

Happy Holidays: Mike
Old 12-28-19, 07:22 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Double post... Woops

Mike
Old 12-29-19, 10:29 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Talk time Teledyne

They offered a titanium bottom bracket spindle with steel bearing cones only, no cups. Part number I.D. -R- for road and -T- for track.

Teledyne spindle

Campagnolo spindle
There were at least four models- road and track for both 68 and 70 mm wide bottom brackets. Designed for Campagnolo pre CPSC cranks.
I have three of them, both types of road and an Italian track. They do flex. Less than the first version of the Super Record as they are not bored clear thru.
the Ti bolts were designed to retain the cranks, not install them. You were to use a steel bolt- remove then install the Ti bolt. ( similar to Arnold Industries gold anno aluminum bolts )
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-29-19, 11:37 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
ebay bargain/

$300. what was the seller thinking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-TELEDY...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 12-29-19, 03:06 PM
repechage

That ebay titan that sold for $300 on 12/18 was well bought. Amazing that there was only one bid. Amazing.
Folk are not looking is the conclusion one can draw.
I won a different auction, different brand of bike this month- seller is balking at following through. Even stated that now due to "sentimental" reasons he thinks over double would the the correct sales price.
Can you spell extortion? There were multiple bids, it is not like it was missed.
The price of sentimentality.
Not sure how this will all pan out yet.
Another of a same brand, similar year, slightly bigger and better condition went for almost the same price as I paid. I will politely bring that to the balking seller's attention.
The buyers are hiding.
Old 02-15-20, 12:50 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 06-26-20, 01:26 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
This was originally posted in the C&V sub-forum.
machinist42 asked me to post it here as well.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 06-27-20, 08:22 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Eye-catching add...Get less while paying more, definitely grabs your attention much like the Volkswagen adds of a similar era.
Best, Be
Old 04-21-21, 04:45 PM
mf70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Another Teledyne & some questions

After a half century as wall art, I'm looking at putting my Titan (mod A3UIR, s/n 001128) on the road. When I put it together in the '70s, my goal was "light, but don't go crazy." The only remarkable components were Phil Wood hubs and BB. Front wheel is radial laced, 32 spoke with (were they also Phil Wood?) aluminum nipples. I never really rode it, but after moves and a theft, it's the last good bike I've got.

1) They always had a flexy reputation, but not there's a knock on them for being breakage prone. The mode that scares me is the fork. I had a steel Bianchi fork break, and survived because they had put an oak pin up the steerer tube. I assume they knew the quality of their work; however, I'm glad of the failsafe. Is there a typical failure mode for Teledyne TI forks?

2) There's a photo on this thread of a 6 cog freewheel. Where must I look to find one that'll work in my 120 OLD dropout spacing?

3) I've made a promise to myself not to ride it until I get down to 175 lb. (more breakage concerns, mostly). Is that rational? I'm definitely not going to be doing any sprinting.

I hope somebody is still reading this thread, and thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 04-21-21, 04:54 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Picture Assistance

Originally Posted by mf70
After a half century as wall art, I'm looking at putting my Titan (mod A3UIR, s/n 001128) on the road. When I put it together in the '70s, my goal was "light, but don't go crazy." The only remarkable components were Phil Wood hubs and BB. Front wheel is radial laced, 32 spoke with (were they also Phil Wood?) aluminum nipples. I never really rode it, but after moves and a theft, it's the last good bike I've got.

1) They always had a flexy reputation, but not there's a knock on them for being breakage prone. The mode that scares me is the fork. I had a steel Bianchi fork break, and survived because they had put an oak pin up the steerer tube. I assume they knew the quality of their work; however, I'm glad of the failsafe. Is there a typical failure mode for Teledyne TI forks?

2) There's a photo on this thread of a 6 cog freewheel. Where must I look to find one that'll work in my 120 OLD dropout spacing?

3) I've made a promise to myself not to ride it until I get down to 175 lb. (more breakage concerns, mostly). Is that rational? I'm definitely not going to be doing any sprinting.

I hope somebody is still reading this thread, and thanks in advance.

Mark
Likes For machinist42:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.