Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 01-24-20, 08:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by trsnrtr
as most veteran addictionites know, i suffer from radiation induced gastric problems. My gastro doc and my family doc have finally got my diet squared away that is compatible for blood sugar issues and my gastric issues. It relies heavily on certain vegetables and lean animal protein. The up side besides losing weight is that my riding has been the most enjoyable in probably 5 years. I recover quickly, sleep well, and feel great.

I always felt that i could eat anything and be ok but a plant-based diet and some quality animal protein has made a believer out of me. I try to eat only basic foods and never deliberately eat processed stuff.

Quality food has changed my life.

Edited to add, waffles/pancakes are not on my list of foods that i should eat and i don't know if nutella is on my list or not but i wouldn't eat it anyway.
+100
Old 01-24-20, 08:30 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjones28
Not enough snow. Walks in the fields with Benson only require some winter boots. No snowshoes required.
ikr
Old 01-24-20, 08:33 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I would, but I don’t want to call attention to myself.
That's kind of where this goes, but I'll see if it's relatable.

I was being moused up in the infusion center this morning. At first it was just me. Nice and peaceful, except for the TV playing HGTV.

Half an hour or so in an old, skinny guy wanders in. It seemed he was supposed to be waiting in the waiting room, as he had not yet made his required stop with the PA, but somehow he had gotten buzzed in and was messing around with the infusion room coffee machine.

The nurse jokingly chided him for being well behind his scheduled appointment. I think she was annoyed because they close at noon on Fridays, but rather than say that directly, she mitigated, with teasing.

He sat at the opposite side of the room as me.

A little later a middle age lady comes in and sits on his side. Soon she joins in the banter with the coffee guy and nurse. She turns out to be much noisier than him. Guy was messing with the paper work we were required to fill out because "it's a new year." Anyway, for some reason he asked for scissors. After he used them, as the nurse was returning to her station, the loud woman stopped her and tried to get her to cut the sleeve on her blouse for the upcoming injection. wut

Anyway, while all this tomfoolery is going on across the room, I'm minding my own business, reading my book or trying to nap. It didn't take long for loud lady to seize upon the contrast and deemed my side of the room the "good side," meaning quiet and not joshing with the nurse, I assume.

Then the needlephobe came in. She brought in her husband, apparently for moral support. He looked like the ZZ Top guitarist and oddly just stood there the whole time, rather than sit in one of the chairs. After a little random back and forth, it came out that needlephobe didn't eat bacon because she had become a "Hebrew" and then her conversation with the loud lady was off to the races on theology. I'm not sure why you would talk to a complete stranger at the doctor's office about that, but hey, it's more substantive than "what's for lunch?"

During this conversation the loud lady made another reference to the "good side." Then finally before I left, she came at me again about my quietness.

I'm guessing I'm not alone here, but for me whenever I'm in a social setting with someone new, the first time they comment on me not saying much, I'm like, "yeah, you're right." But then it gets more every time they say it thereafter.

The End.

Last edited by Velo Vol; 01-24-20 at 08:41 PM.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 01-24-20, 08:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Got hit and rund from behind on the way home. I am incredibly fortunate not to be on my way to the OR or the morgue. Helmet busted.

Good Samaritan saw and stopped, but no make on the tag. Fortunately wife was home.
Holy crap, glad you are alright.
Old 01-24-20, 09:08 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
​​​​ Dunno about the stuff that you're using, but check out Abranet from Finland.
Thanks. The stuff I'm using could well be from the sixties. I have never experienced such quality sandpaper.

Old 01-24-20, 09:14 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Inquiring minds want to know - what's special about the Norwegian stuff? Is this like fancy natural sharpening stones?
It's just good, durable sandpaper. In another class altogether from any sandpaper I've ever used. Today's project was the first time I'd ever used it. Certainly not the last. I may very well have much more than a lifetime supply here, with about a dozen discs.

Old 01-24-20, 09:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Yes, but do not want to discuss online yet.
Wise choice. Hopefully there was a camera somewhere.

Old 01-24-20, 09:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

I was being moused up in the infusion center this morning. At first it was just me. Nice and peaceful, except for the TV playing HGTV.

Half an hour or so in an old, skinny guy wanders in. It seemed he was supposed to be waiting in the waiting room, as he had not yet made his required stop with the PA, but somehow he had gotten buzzed in and was messing around with the infusion room coffee machine.

The nurse jokingly chided him for being well behind his scheduled appointment. I think she was annoyed because they close at noon on Fridays, but rather than say that directly, she mitigated, with teasing.

He sat at the opposite side of the room as me.

A little later a middle age lady comes in and sits on his side. Soon she joins in the banter with the coffee guy and nurse. She turns out to be much noisier than him. Guy was messing with the paper work we were required to fill out because "it's a new year." Anyway, for some reason he asked for scissors. After he used them, as the nurse was returning to her station, the loud woman stopped her and tried to get her to cut the sleeve on her blouse for the upcoming injection. wut

Anyway, while all this tomfoolery is going on across the room, I'm minding my own business, reading my book or trying to nap. It didn't take long for loud lady to seize upon the contrast and deemed my side of the room the "good side," meaning quiet and not joshing with the nurse, I assume.

Then the needlephobe came in. She brought in her husband, apparently for moral support. He looked like the ZZ Top guitarist and oddly just stood there the whole time, rather than sit in one of the chairs. After a little random back and forth, it came out that needlephobe didn't eat bacon because she had become a "Hebrew" and then her conversation with the loud lady was off to the races on theology. I'm not sure why you would talk to a complete stranger at the doctor's office about that, but hey, it's more substantive than "what's for lunch?"

During this conversation the loud lady made another reference to the "good side." Then finally before I left, she came at me again about my quietness.

I'm guessing I'm not alone here, but for me whenever I'm in a social setting with someone new, the first time they comment on me not saying much, I'm like, "yeah, you're right." But then it gets more every time they say it thereafter.

The End.
It would depend upon my mood, ​​​​but I would have likely done the same (nothing). I'm not bothered by silence and I don't feel the need to assuage someone that is, whether they're uncomfortable with it in general or with mine, specifically. Honestly, if someone obnoxious finds it awkward and uncomfortable, I tend to relish it even more.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-24-20, 09:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Third osteopath session of the week out of the way. This guy had an ultrasound, and a number of little electric hammers and thumpers. And skilled, knowledgeable thumbs. Turns out the entire shoulder area was messed up--down the back, down the arm, over on the pec side. Vamnos a ver.

Old 01-24-20, 09:31 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Flight to Indianapolis booked, for June 11. Booked twice, cancelled once. I really like going through Expedia. They are actually communicative, as opposed to the airlines. I will be returning overland.

Old 01-24-20, 09:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Okay, so maybe I was a little hasty in dismissing steel bike besides Baum. I guess I could live with this lugged Italian if I had to

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-24-20, 10:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Okay, so maybe I was a little hasty in dismissing steel bike besides Baum. I guess I could live with this lugged Italian if I had to

Oh mama. I saw it on FB not a minute before popping in here.
Old 01-24-20, 11:06 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Flight to Indianapolis booked, for June 11. Booked twice, cancelled once. I really like going through Expedia. They are actually communicative, as opposed to the airlines. I will be returning overland.
Overland?

Are you bicycle touring back to Mexico?
Old 01-24-20, 11:33 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Welp, there was pineapple pie marked down to $1.99 at the grocery store, so no artisanal pie for me this weekend.

But PINEAPPLE PIE!!!???? Who ever thought of that one?
Would try.
Old 01-25-20, 05:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
Don’t put pineapple in your Jello mold.

Ah, the wisdom from the 1970’s.

It’s raining. Time to go downstairs for fake miles.
Old 01-25-20, 05:48 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

It would depend upon my mood, ​​​​but I would have likely done the same (nothing). I'm not bothered by silence and I don't feel the need to assuage someone that is, whether they're uncomfortable with it in general or with mine, specifically. Honestly, if someone obnoxious finds it awkward and uncomfortable, I tend to relish it even more.
I get the impression that some people would inwardly start to panic if they had to sit or stand in silence for a few minutes with a stranger.
Old 01-25-20, 05:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

The End.
Giant noise-cancelling headphones solve this and many other problems.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-25-20, 05:49 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I calculated from the data of my last five witch doctor visits that my average temperature is 97.5F.

https://notes.childrenshospital.org/...ver-new-study/
Old 01-25-20, 05:56 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Giant noise-cancelling headphones solve this and many other problems.
I don't have a problem with random conversation, per se, but too often it's forced small talk.

What's really annoying is when a stranger repeatedly brings up your "quietness," as if you have a duty to yap with them, on their terms.
Old 01-25-20, 06:10 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by abshipp
Overland?

Are you bicycle touring back to Mexico?
Train and bus. Thinking I'll just stop with the flying thing. I don't travel that much anymore anyway, and I love the train and hate the flight. Time? What's a little bit of time, to me?
But that's a very good idea.

Old 01-25-20, 06:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

I get the impression that some people would inwardly start to panic if they had to sit or stand in silence for a few minutes with a stranger.
Sometimes the behavior you described is due to loneliness, wherein these people just don’t get out much and seek human contact when it presents itself.
Old 01-25-20, 06:36 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,041 Times in 2,152 Posts
I’ll never understand the person that has to hear themselves speak, And continue even when it is obvious nobody else cares.
Old 01-25-20, 06:50 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Real miles coming up this morning. That cold or sinusitis or whatever I had set me so far back that the Austin Half will be done essentially as a training run, unfortunately.
Old 01-25-20, 06:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Oh gawd, lately I’ve been having these early morning cravings for bagels from this excellent bagel shop just a half mile from me. Basically just down the block, basically. It’s a pitched battle as I know that once I relax my resistance it’s going to cost me a couple inches on the waistline, and I truly hate a belly as it takes so long to get it off.

Damn bagels.
Old 01-25-20, 06:54 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Tell yourself that a bagel isn't even close to worth the effort to resolve. That's where I've gotten to - if something's going to be craved, it had better be ice cream or something else truly indulgent. A bagel? No.
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.