Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace seat post?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replace seat post?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 08:17 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Replace seat post?

I sit my road bike in the trainer yesterday afternoon. Smacked the saddle with the palm of my hand and knock the top part of the carbon seat post loose. The bike is a 2.1 Trek Road Bike. I don't know the year. I believe the seat isa set back. How do I go about ordering the correct seat post. I don't believe I want to go back to carbo.
Old 02-15-20, 09:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Most post have the diameter printed on them. Find that or measure w/ calipers e.g. 27.2mm.

Is it broken , or did the parts come loose?
Old 02-15-20, 10:08 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Yep. Ascertain the diameter, estimate the setback. I always use thomson posts personally, but there are many many options from which to choose.
Old 02-15-20, 10:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I have a son-in-law with a 2.1 and i am sure there was a set back and it will surely be either a 31.6mm (~1 1/4") or 27.2mm (~1 1/16") so a ruler will tell you if you can't find the size stamp.
Old 02-15-20, 03:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 2,314 Posts
One can always wrap a strip of paper around the post and mark the overlap point. Then measure with a good ruler and divide by Pi. But with any post replacement it's the actual fit that is the real determinate. Not all posts are made to labeled size.

BTW there's a possibility that the carbon post's top could be bonded back on. I've done a couple over the years with good results. Andy
Old 02-19-20, 10:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - if you wind up looking for a 27.2mm diamter, 300mm long unit with a 30.2mm Setback, I like my 2 bolt Velo Orange Grand Cru

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...eatpost-2.html