Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Saddle Bag Rear Light

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Saddle Bag Rear Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 07:34 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Saddle Bag Rear Light

Rear light points down
This is my wife's 7.2 Trek, smaller framer shorter wife. Several years ago we put the bontrager saddle bags on. Gives her a place for her phone and a couple of items like Kleenex. Well the crazy it gets on the road the more we try and to be seen. So my daughter bought me a pair of these bontrager lights for fathers day a couple of years ago. No matter what I do to this bag the light continues to point down. She has to have the bag. Any advice or a better bag choice?
Old 03-15-20, 07:42 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
That's the trouble with mounting lights on soft structures. I see a lot of lights mounted on saddle bags, seat bags and backpacks... almost always pointing down. It's better (IMO) to mount the lights on a rigid part of the bike: seatpost, seat stays, chain stays or fenders. Alternatives are lights mounted on the (left) ankle, the helmet; or high-viz clothing and helmet.
Old 03-15-20, 07:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Can you post a side shot of your bike?
Old 03-15-20, 08:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
How about sticking a wedge or block of closed-cell foam to the light or the bag to tip the light upwards?
Or wire the light to the back of her helmet instead.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-15-20, 08:32 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
How about sticking a wedge or block of closed-cell foam to the light or the bag to tip the light upwards?
Or wire the light to the back of her helmet instead.
This. An easy, simple solution.
Old 03-15-20, 08:41 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I've had a similar issue and used a twist tie to tighten the light through a loop in the bag.
Old 03-15-20, 09:52 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I'd just go with a seatstay-mounted Cygolite, cheap and very reliable. Out of the way.
Old 03-15-20, 10:28 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by billmc40
She has to have the bag. Any advice or a better bag choice?
If the light points too much down, you have to take steps to realign it. Put something under the bottom end of the light. Try adjusting the position of the bag itself (e.g. using a cable tie on the seatpost is a good way to prevent the front mounting strap of the bag from sliding upwards.)

Trying to solve this by replacing bags makes no sense whatsoever. There will never be a perfectly aligned bag. Unless you order one from a bespoke tailor.
Old 03-15-20, 10:50 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A different bagthat is more supportive. or shape so that you can mount the light on the seat post.

Last edited by GeneO; 03-15-20 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 11:23 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I just keep the light in the bag. If it gets dark, take it out and clip it to my jersey pocket or camelbak. I personally have never NOT lost a bike mounted blinkie (actually except for those silicone knog lights) to rough sections of road. Best of luck!
Old 03-15-20, 12:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I see badly mounted/aimed lights frequently. I show customers that their LED lights tend to have a very narrow angle of light emission. Hold the light at right angles to one's eyes to see the bright center, then rotate the light only 10-20 degrees and watch the brightness drop off significantly.

Last Fall I started what will become a series of lighting articles for the local bike club's newsletter. The first installment was a broad ranging three person view of lights in general. Chapter two will have examples of mounting methods, poor and good alike.

This is one of my pet peeves. The lack of bike/frame/component options to mount third party brand lights. So the light companies have to design a mount that sort of works with as many bikes and set ups that they can't control. The results are lights that aim in the wrong directions, are easily knocked out of line, can get tangled up in the wheels and generally come loose/rattle after some time. Having said that there are a few components (seats, racks, helmets) that do incorporate lights in them. Unfortunately many of these attempts are lacking in the light's performance given they are designed by a stylist more often then an engineer that actually rides (or so it seems).

Here's a shot of my station wagon's rear rack light. The copy of a Pauls Gino mount works really well and I have a few on various bikes serving both head and tail light needs. Note the reflective tape on the fender too. Andy
Old 03-15-20, 05:42 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
can you attach it to your helmet? putting it on your helmet is safer anyways since it brings the light up higher for motorists to see it better.
Old 03-15-20, 07:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
can you attach it to your helmet? putting it on your helmet is safer anyways since it brings the light up higher for motorists to see it better.

I question this suggestion. As mentioned most LED have a narrow angle of emission so a moving mount, like a helmeted head, will have that bright center of emission move about all the time.

Now as a secondary or tertiary light I can see the value. But as the primary I don't agree. As a spot headlight a helmet if great, unless you're that guy's partner and he looks at you... at night and blinds you momentarily. Andy